$16.50 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Could/Should I have played this differently?

Kid_M

Kid_M

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think I played this hand pretty well and that it just ran out bad, but as someone whos always willing to learn and wants to here others opinions, I'm all ears.

888Poker, Hold'em No Limit - 1,500/3,000 (375 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 251,500 (84 bb)
UTG+1: 139,004 (46 bb)
MP: 49,625 (17 bb)
MP+1: 97,326 (32 bb)
CO: 119,447 (40 bb)
BU: 236,711 (79 bb)
SB: 46,250 (15 bb)
BB (Hero): 144,194 (48 bb)

Pre-Flop: (7,500) Hero is BB with T Q
1 fold, UTG+1 raises to 6,000, 5 players fold, Hero calls 3,000

Flop: (16,500) 9 8 J (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG+1 bets 10,890, Hero raises to 35,500, UTG+1 raises to 132,629 (all-in), Hero calls 97,129

Turn: (281,758) 5 (2 players, 1 all-in)

River: (281,758) K (2 players, 1 all-in)

Total pot: 281,758

Showdown:
UTG+1 shows T 9 (a flush, King high)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 32%, Flop: 13%, Turn: 23%, River: 100%)

BB (Hero) shows T Q (a straight, Nine to King)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 68%, Flop: 87%, Turn: 77%, River: 0%)

UTG+1 wins 281,758

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Im not seeing anything wrong here. Just a cooler where the runout was bad. For discussion purposes I would like to know what others and the posters opinion is about flatting the flop instead of raising there. I am not saying I am a fan of it but it was something in looking at the hand replayer that I thought might be a decision to make. Obviously it would not really impact the outcome of this hand but wondering if it better in the long run to just call there and keep in villains one pair hands. We obviously would hate if a club comes on out on the turn but raising might get certain one pair hands to fold there as well. Just thought I would throw it out there as I dont think there is much to write about this hand as it was played well and just a cooler.

Kid_M

Kid_M

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Im not seeing anything wrong here. Just a cooler where the runout was bad. For discussion purposes I would like to know what others and the posters opinion is about flatting the flop instead of raising there. I am not saying I am a fan of it but it was something in looking at the hand replayer that I thought might be a decision to make. Obviously it would not really impact the outcome of this hand but wondering if it better in the long run to just call there and keep in villains one pair hands. We obviously would hate if a club comes on out on the turn but raising might get certain one pair hands to fold there as well. Just thought I would throw it out there as I dont think there is much to write about this hand as it was played well and just a cooler.

Yeah i didnt think i did anything wrong i was just wondering if anyone had opinions on a different line!

I did consider donk betting the flop, so perhaps the villain may have just called that but i dont think so, i cant see a different outcome whichever way it plays out aside from folding before the flop although i feel we need to defend our range!

a flat call and slow play the hand may have saved me but i cant see it getting to the river before the chips are in.

Thanks for your feedback...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For discussion purposes I would like to know what others and the posters opinion is about flatting the flop instead of raising there.

On such a dynamic board it would be a huge mistake to play passively out of position. We want the chips to go in as fast as humanly possible, before some bad card roll off and either kill our action or improve our opponents hand. So for me the only options here are to either check-raise or donk bet. With a shallower SPR, a donk bet could be fine, but this deep its kind of difficult to get the chips in, unless Villain help us. So I think, check-raise is the best line.

And of course the result is just whatever. We got it in with the nuts and 87% equity, and that is really the best, we can ever hope for. The rest is up to the dealer, and we just need to have mental stamina and bankroll to absorb bad beats like this. Cant even blame the opponent for stacking off either. It was a bad spot for him, but he just happened to get lucky this time.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it's just a badbeat the call on the preflop was good and on the flop there was nothing different to do. better luck next time