$135 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked Rebuy: Top pair good kicker with a 1 STP ratio vs a read

I

irenajoy

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
$135 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked Rebuy: Top pair good kicker with a 1 STP ratio vs a read

Small tournament in live play, 55 players, about 30 remaining with rebuy period just ending. PF A reasonably tight player with a big stack raises 3BB (100/200/no ante) in EP. I call on button with AJo. BB calls. Flop comes A 8 5 rainbow. Player C-bets for 2000, into a 1900 pot. I flat. BB folds. Turn is a blank, 6, putting a back door flush on board. STP ratio is about 1, I have 5500 if I fold and the blinds are going up. He puts me all in. I folded. Some people were sure I should have stacked off, but what is the analysis? I was sure I was beaten, but perhaps I was wrong. Would appreciate any kind of analysis, as I am curious if this was a big mistake. I thought he was value betting, trying to get me to call with a weaker hand. Just my particular read of the situation. He was a solid player, not a donk.

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So basically, you know his range is AQ+/pocket pairs here, and when he bets the pot on the flop and again on the turn, he's got AK/AQ/AA/88 100% of the time?

Why are we not folding preflop, then? We're going to be a 70-30 dog vs his range...

ResAtDorsia

ResAtDorsia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So basically, you know his range is AQ+/pocket pairs here, and when he bets the pot on the flop and again on the turn, he's got AK/AQ/AA/88 100% of the time?

Why are we not folding preflop, then? We're going to be a 70-30 dog vs his range...

This. Plus the overbet on the flop should really tip you off. Unlikely he has a worse hand than you.