$12 NLHE MTT: 3bet and call a 4bet shove with 10s OR how to get value?

L

Larmuar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
About 20 pl left in the 12$ early Catfish on 888. Bubble play, 18pl paid.

I was wondering how I could get more value out of my hand? I flattet de opening from a strong REG. I thought about 3betting pre, but then i should be ready to call it of to a 4bet vs such a player, right? I saw, that a lot of good players do massive 4bets in those kind of stage of the tournament with low-medium pairs. Can someone explain me if this is a +ev play and how I could have played the 10s otherwise?

If just called, I played the hand very passively, but hadn't a idea how I could value anywhere except maybe a donk on the river. any other thoughts?

888 Poker - 800/1600 Ante 200 NL (8 max) - Holdem - 7 players

UTG: 41.78 BB (VPIP: 21.96, PFR: 15.06, 3Bet Preflop: 8.50, hands: 596)
UTG+1: 49.11 BB (VPIP: 23.94, PFR: 17.74, 3Bet Preflop: 7.14, Hands: 192)
MP: 29.2 BB (VPIP: 18.52, PFR: 16.00, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 27)
CO: 16.34 BB (VPIP: 21.44, PFR: 16.61, 3Bet Preflop: 6.33, Hands: 644)
BTN: 18.6 BB (VPIP: 16.26, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 10.64, Hands: 124)
Hero (SB): 40.32 BB
BB: 16.86 BB (VPIP: 18.52, PFR: 14.81, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 27)

7 players post ante of 0.13 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.38 BB) Hero has T:club: T:heart:

UTG raises to 2 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold, Hero calls 1.5 BB, BB calls 1 BB

Flop: (6.88 BB, 3 players) 9:club: 5:spade: 6:heart:
Hero checks, BB checks, UTG checks

Turn: (6.88 BB, 3 players) T:spade:

River: (6.88 BB, 3 players) 2:diamond:

Hero shows T:club: T:heart: (Three of a Kind, Tens)
(Pre 58%, Flop 68%, Turn 100%)
BB mucks K:spade: 6:club: (One Pair, Sixes)
(Pre 23%, Flop 20%, Turn 0%)
UTG mucks 4:club: 4:diamond: (One Pair, Fours)
(Pre 18%, Flop 12%, Turn 0%)
Hero wins 6.88 BB

T

Tuan

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand; I would say yes there is value of 3bet vs utg min raise with pocket 10s, we should definitely 3bet light vs utg open. I see that we can play conservative after he calls our 3bet; but calling out of SB is a little weak. However, if utg raise 3x the blinds, a call is acceptable but I would only check the flop, I would definitely bet the turn to take the pot since utg check the flop, by betting on the turn helps us protect our hand.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like 3-betting pre here and if called a flop check seems fine.

On the turn we need to be getting chips in the pot for value. I may be off but villain shouldn't have mid suited connectors in utg opening range close to the bubble.

Checking it down is way too passive even on the bubble.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Flatting isn't horrible pre, but 3betting is definitely fine.

I'm not sure I understand why you checked all 3 streets though. Can you give any more detail on that? I'd definitely be betting turn most likely - this isn't even a HU pot, so we can get a fair bit of action from the combined ranges of UTG and the BB.

So far as your other question about whether it's profitable to 3bet call off against UTG, this is really, really player dependent imo. You kind of need to figure it out on a case by case basis. I would say against the player pool in the stakes that we're talking about here, TT is probably one of the border hands. Probably a 3bet/fold rather than stack off. And JJ is probably a 3bet/call off but these hands are fairly similar in these player pools cause our opponents are often not 4betting JJ or worse anyway.

L

Larmuar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
yeah, for some reason i thought a donk on this board into 2 players would look so insanely strong, so I decided to check 3 streets. I surely overdo it with slowplaying, also didn't thought about too much, that the utg opener might have a hand with some showdown value, he didnt want to bet at all. I was sure he'd cbet flop or at least turn, but this was surely bad "instinct" on my behalf, because the board developement favors SB & BB range a lot more than his utg raising range (didnt realize this at that moment).
The next time, I'd probably would 3bet and decide, because firstly, you dont want to play 10s vs two players and secondly I would like to play for the win and this seems to be quite a good spot for playing a big pot (because utg raiser covers me at the bubble and so his 4betting range might be more light than usual).