$1100 NLHE MTT: AA any good here?

T

TheShek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This hand was a few years ago now.

I was playing a live MTT with a big, soft field of mostly pub poker players. I won a satellite into the tournament.

This hand came up in the early going with stacks of 300bb effective.

I'm in the BB with AA. There is one player who seems good and aggressive, he's been putting people in tough spots post flop. He's in the HJ. The button in this hand is a fish, limping and calling any sized raise. The tough player opens, the fish on the button calls, and I re-raise 15bb, hoping to isolate the fish but also declaring my hand.

HJ thinks for a while and calls, as does the button.

The flop comes 664 with two hearts. I have the Ace of hearts. I lead half pot, HJ and btn both call.

The turn is the 9 of hearts. I check, HJ bets half pot, the fish folds. I decide to check-raise, and the HJ 4 bets to half my stack. I think for a while and make the call, figuring he had plans to take the pot away from me preflop, and he had to have gotten really lucky to have hit this board.

The turn bricks. I check and HJ sets me almost all in. I hate the my check-raise on the turn now. I should have played pot control out of position with plans to call him down, but as played I ended up folding and keeping a good sized stack to play.

Is this a call? It's a polarising spot in my opinion. I think he either has a flush, full house or a bluff.

Any thoughts?

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By check raising the turn, you greatly strengthen his river range. I would agree with your ranging so it is a math problem. The amount you have to call / the total pot after your call.

It seems like something might be off on your bet sizing's or stack sizes.

preflop pot = 45BB. flop pot = 45+66 = 111BB Turn 111BB + 55BB + 3bet + 4bet? Seems like someone would have been all in here.

If he had a 300BB stack I would think he would have almost nothing left after his 4 bet.

G

Grearix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seen Villain's actions on the turn, I wouldn't put him on a bluff here. I think you made the right fold on the river.

T

TheShek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My recollection of the exact stacks and bet sizing is a little hazy as it was a few years ago now. But I recall I had about half my stack left when I folded the river, and more than 100bb to play. Sorry about that.

gabpoker

gabpoker

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No problem just makes the math hard. Do you remember roughly how much you would have had to call on the river vs the size of the pot?

T

TheShek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have had about 20bb if I called and was beat.

The thing about this hand is the player. I know he had plans to take the pot away from me before the flop on certain run outs because he knew my exact holding and I believe he suspected I could fold Aces. He was a good player and we were so deep stacked, he’s the type who would bluff like this knowing I had a pair only.

Knowing this about him is why I hate my check-raise. I should have played cautiously and called him down out of position. Then I would know what he had and would have lost maybe less chips.

E

Elvis

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that you played well this hand.With the information that he is an aggressive player there are possibilities that he was bluffing.I would have make a call here depending on how much times he had win previous pots with showing his hand.

Effe44

Effe44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You nailed it. After 3-betting from the BB the Shark had easy reads on You. You can only have the Top of the Range and he picked up the paired-flushy board out to play You out of KK QQ AA maybe AK .

Against him You had play your AA slow. Check-Call was the Strategy from the Beginning here to save your loosing small i think.

Your strategy in this hand was perfect for the guy on your left only.

Had the same type of situation w QQ and my opponenent rivered a boat w 77 . Lost 3/4 of my stack in the Big Fish 33 dollars @888 after itm.

brno22

brno22

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I go with all my chips, the odds are many, that does not mean you're going to win the hand

P

PKRNRS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely wouldn't have checked the turn. You have the lead and should remain in control. The turn check shows some weakness but you checked-raised. He still called so he maybe good and slow playing you. I don't know I would have the discipline to lay down two pair. I don't think he has a flush, maybe a smaller two pair. KK-99 or AK.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
'A few years ago' and this still weighs on your mind. :confused:

I would have taken 2 pair to the cleaners.