Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The button is a small stack of about 600
The SB is a starting stack of 1500
I have a stack of 2200 in the BB

blinds are 50/100

button shoves and SB re-shoves, I have no info on the SB. I have AQ off and elect to fold.

The button has A5 off and SB has A8 off. I would have won the hand. Was this a tight fold or should I have called?

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Since you have no info on SB and you are not suited I would have to fold here. Even though you would have won the hand the right move is to fold unless you have a read on what each player holds.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is a strange spot indeed to be in a MTT this early with such shallow stacks and only 3 handed? sounds like a SnG. The structure/payouts really matter.

I think AQo is the exact misery spot here. AJ I'm sigh folding and AQs I'm definitely calling. the payouts will determine my decision but I'm probably calling. It's close.

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I’m guessing you just skipped the “folds around” part in your description? The subject says “late position”, so I’ll go with that.

I think this early in a MTT this would quickly hit the muck for me. I’m not even sure i want to call heads up for over 1/3 my stack with AQ. With a role reversal, had I button raised and had one player shove for 600, I’d take my beating and call, but AQ cold calls of multiple players early on make for quick exits from MTTs.

F

formertroll

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
as is frequently the case, people in front made bad moves that got rewarded but all you can do is play your hand. AQ is not the hill i want to die on.

E

Edson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion AQ is great hand to call. You had more chips, and AQ is much stronger than range of BTN and SB in this spot.
I will analize it in Holdem Resources Calculator and I will tell you what math tell :D

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
IMO unk with this stack from BU can play push here with about 40% range. Villain from SB can play show with villain about 20% range from his stack. If you see this; correct is play here with about 10% range (55+,A9s+,ATo+). I play here AI with your AQ. Minimum BU must play here push with about 25% when is very tight. SB must play here with minimum 12% range when is tight. And in this range your AQ is EV+ and you can play this.

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMO unk with this stack from BU can play push here with about 40% range. Villain from SB can play show with villain about 20% range from his stack. If you see this; correct is play here with about 10% range (55+,A9s+,ATo+). I play here AI with your AQ. Minimum BU must play here push with about 25% when is very tight. SB must play here with minimum 12% range when is tight. And in this range your AQ is EV+ and you can play this.

Is it really EV+ vs. the ranges you laid out? Is this because the times we lose to BU we sometimes win against the SB, so we actually are -400 in those situations?

I guess I really didn't consider that in my answer. Worst case scenario here is we lose to the SB and have about 700 chips left. Better than half the time we'll be at +2100 or -400. If the table has been loose, that seems to make me want to lean towards a call, as this is one of those "better spots" I always talk about.

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Is it really EV+ vs. the ranges you laid out? Is this because the times we lose to BU we sometimes win against the SB, so we actually are -400 in those situations?

I guess I really didn't consider that in my answer. Worst case scenario here is we lose to the SB and have about 700 chips left. Better than half the time we'll be at +2100 or -400. If the table has been loose, that seems to make me want to lean towards a call, as this is one of those "better spots" I always talk about.
Yes is EV+ with very tight option push all villains (BU with 25% range, SB with 12% vs BU range).
8c41dc81a9a886ff0836b1ad4e31cf3a.jpg

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The button is a small stack of about 600
The SB is a starting stack of 1500
I have a stack of 2200 in the BB

blinds are 50/100

button shoves and SB re-shoves, I have no info on the SB. I have AQ off and elect to fold.

The button has A5 off and SB has A8 off. I would have won the hand. Was this a tight fold or should I have called?

Hello,

If this is a mtt with rebuys then I recommend a call. If it is a freeze out then I'll fold and look for a better spot.