$11 NLHE MTT: MTT, weird spot w/ TP/draw OTT in 3B pot

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't play poker too much anymore and may post 1 hand/year, but figured this was a post-worthy spot. This is in the $11 12k gtd on WPN.

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - 350/700 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

MP: 136.64 BB (VPIP: 15.38, PFR: 8.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 26)
MP+1: 43.4 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 33.33, Hands: 6)
MP+2: 33.35 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 6)
CO: 85.9 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 6)
BTN: 44.76 BB (VPIP: 37.50, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
Hero (SB): 39.01 BB
BB: 27.3 BB (VPIP: 21.74, PFR: 17.12, 3Bet Preflop: 8.11, Hands: 115)
UTG: 35.12 BB (VPIP: 18.97, PFR: 12.07, 3Bet Preflop: 3.70, Hands: 58)
UTG+1: 99.22 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 33.33, 3Bet Preflop: 25.00, Hands: 6)

9 players post ante of 0.12 BB, Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.59 BB) Hero has K 9

fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, fold, BTN raises to 2 BB, Hero raises to 7 BB, fold, BTN calls 5 BB

Flop: (16.09 BB, 2 players) K J 7
Hero checks, BTN bets 8.05 BB, Hero calls 8.05 BB

Turn: (32.19 BB, 2 players) T
Hero checks, BTN bets 29.59 BB and is all-in, Hero....... (24bbs behind)

BU opener is a bad reg, while K9o is a loose 3B here, I find players in general, especially bad regs, tend to open the button at a very high frequency and overfold/play terribly vs 3Bs against the blinds because their range is so loose.

Flop I elect to check, because K9o cannot necessarily get multiple streets of value vs a range that calls a 3B and I am OOP. By checking/calling my weakest Kx, my range is less capped/protected.

Turn I don't know wtf to do, we have TP+OESD. V is repping very strong here and we are towards the top of our bluffcatching range. This board theoretically favors BU, so does it make sense to overfold/exploit fold hands like K9 here?

Opinions on all streets welcome and don't berate my 3B pre too much :p

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are inconsistent. First, you accelerate the sweat with a mediocre hand K9. On the flop, getting a toppar, you suddenly began to talk about some kind of value, limiting yourself to a check, and then why call. I really want to know: what cards did you expect to see on the table? On the turn you have a top pair, a leaky straight draw and poor chance to continue the game. The river is getting too wide and very deep.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are inconsistent. First, you accelerate the sweat with a mediocre hand K9. On the flop, getting a toppar, you suddenly began to talk about some kind of value, limiting yourself to a check, and then why call. I really want to know: what cards did you expect to see on the table? On the turn you have a top pair, a leaky straight draw and poor chance to continue the game. The river is getting too wide and very deep.
LoL, zero theoretical analysis from you here, despite me explaining my thought process in the OP.

I 3B K9o here, because it has moderate value vs a BU opening range of 50%+ and shitregs don’t defend that range well.

Flop you completely ignore relative hand strength and our overall range.

I elect to x/c K9, because we are OOP and our hand cannot necessarily get multiple streets of value against a r/c range. It also helps to still have some Kx in our x/c range in order to not get blown off our entire checking range (C-betting range here is bad for a multitude of reasons, and range checking this flop actually has some merit).

The river is irrelevant because V jammed the turn on us...I’ll give some theory on the turn situation after more responses.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like the 3bet preflop either but against loose BTN open, maybe it is fine. I would assign behind range to villain and prefer folding on the turn.

AA - 6 combos
KQs - 2 combos, didn't include KQo as more likely to 4bet
KJs - 2 combos

JJ - 3 combos
77 - 3 combos
98s - 4 combos

AcJc - 1 comboQJs - 3 combos
QTs - 3 combos

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think K9o would be an overfold there.
I can't find many bluffs who'd bet flop & jam turn tbh. But can see a lot of value hands.
But I'm trying to find our turn calling range with such a line. > KK, JT & perhaps AQ? What other hands would we take this line with & call a turn jam?

btw what's the % you'd call BTN v SB 3b as the villain? I think I might be a bad reg as per your description :p

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't like the 3bet preflop either but against loose BTN open, maybe it is fine. I would assign behind range to villain and prefer folding on the turn.

AA - 6 combos
KQs - 2 combos, didn't include KQo as more likely to 4bet
KJs - 2 combos

JJ - 3 combos
77 - 3 combos
98s - 4 combos

AcJc - 1 comboQJs - 3 combos
QTs - 3 combos
V doesn't have 6 combos of AA, no one is flatting AA here at 100% frequency. V definitely has some KQo/KJo, although may 4B those at some freq yes. QJs/AJs would be suicidal flop bets in a 3B pot as well.

I don't think K9o would be an overfold there.
I can't find many bluffs who'd bet flop & jam turn tbh. But can see a lot of value hands.
But I'm trying to find our turn calling range with such a line. > KK, JT & perhaps AQ? What other hands would we take this line with & call a turn jam?

btw what's the % you'd call BTN v SB 3b as the villain? I think I might be a bad reg as per your description :p
I agree, looking back at it, our relative hand strength is weakish as we are OOP w/ range disadvantage. It sucks, but like you said, it's hard to find bluffs from V while V has plenty of value.

I'm likely betting AQ on the flop and checking KK/JJ/KT/JT. Also a massive note, K9 is actually a better bluff catcher here than KT/JT (both of which I x flop with), because it's unlikely V is jamming this turn with AK/AA (both of which likely 4B pre anyway) and I don't think V calls J7s pre.

It's tough to give a rough estimate of what range I would r/c as the BU opener in this spot vs a 3B, especially as there are plenty of hands I would flat at some freq and 4B at some freq, but I would say 15-20%. It's not necessarily a bad thing to open extremely wide on the button and overfold vs 3Bs as an exploitive strategy, because population at low/mid stakes massively under 3Bs from the blinds.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
I think 3betting K9o is completely fine against loose button openers. I 3bet KTo, so K9 is just below it. Shouldn't be a problem.

I agree with your assessment on the flop. On the turn though I would fold. To consider bluffcatching I would want to have Q blocking straights to both ends.

A

ankitgupta45

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think preflop u played really well and Postflop ur line was very good as well.
One thing i would like to know here is if u checked for villan Fv3B stat. Also, there is a huge gap between VPIP/PFR of the villain and when these kind of villans get so aggro on not just one street but two , i get cautious.
Now lets analyse the hand from his perspective , He knows u 3bet , so more AK , KK and AA are in your range and despite this villain is betting when u checked. so, lets give him some KTs , KJs or maybe some Jx or AQ if he is probing/stabbing with this type of hands. Now, turn improves both of our ranges . watever gutshots he had are now strong hands . meanwhile we also get OESD on that turn. But the problem here is the odds are so bad and bluffcatching for 25 BB doesnt seems a good idea when villain is so passive. A villain who called ur 3.5x 3bet preflop is not weak in any sense and way he played postflop he is very strong . A passive player like him would have checked turn with any of his marginal hands and would have wanted to see a showdown. So, all in all FOLD !

rikoberto

rikoberto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Opinions on all streets welcome and don't berate my 3B pre too much :p[/QUOTE]

Hello trent32la..Long time ago you have comment some of my posted hands,now i think is time to say my opinion..:D
So about 3bet preflop,i think its in looser side.i think as bottom range i would 3bet KTo and K8s-K9s as 3bet bluff..K9o i would 3bet in a small frequency(maybe little more if i see that BU has big % of folds vs 3bets),few times i would call and big majority of time i would just fold.At flop,i think i like a lot your check/call and the reason u did it..
As you said,you protect your range,you have enough underpairs like 66-TT,QQ,and second pairs like AJo and AJs,J8s-J9s,QJo that you 3bet pre and cant cbet in this board.You cant play for stacks beting multiple streets of value with K9o so pot controling OOP with a decent top pair and some backdoor possibilities is fine..Turn comes and Villain shoves.Turn is a very strange card because his straight draws or gutshots have now showdown value(hands like ATo,QT).
Putting a Turn value shoving range of villain that is reasonable to bet before on flop,i would say:77,(JJ,KK,AA in a 20% frequency),AQs,KTs+,KTo+,Q9s,89s..His bluff and semi bluff range can be A2s-A9s(of clubs) but honestly i dont know if he bets in this flop,and Qc8c..Against this range you have around 24% equity and its a fold..But lets say something else,a little heretic.If villain is reg and somehow believing that your flop checking range is capped because you dont balance your self,he can believe that he can make you fold a big portion of your range:You have underpairs,some Ax+ suited hands that you check/call one street and in almost top of your range 2nd pair hands like AJ and J9s putting you in difficult spot..So in that case maybe he can put some non equity bluffs in his range?thats the question.if he does,your equity in this spot goes up a lot and maybe its not crazy to justify a call..In any case i dont think he exploits you in this spot,so folding is safer decision in my opinion.

Last edited: