$11 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Second pair vs. turn/river double barrel?

W

Wickedestjr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Played this hand a couple days ago. I've been thinking about it for a little while and am not sure if I made the correct decision. In the 15-30 minutes that I'd played with the Villain, I hadn't seen anything telling or out of the ordinary. Chip stacks were all at least 4,000 - pretty deep still. I would really appreciate any advice/feedback on this hand. Thank you.

Shuffling Cards
SB posted Small Blind 30
BB posted Big Blind 60
You Were Dealt (9c,8c)
UTG calls 60
UTG+1 folds
UTG+2 folds
HERO (MP) calls 60
HJ folds
CO folds
BU raised to 240
SB folds
BB folds
UTG calls 240
HERO (MP) calls 240
Dealing Flop (9d,Td,Tc), POT = 810
UTG checks
HERO (MP) checks
BU checks
Dealing Turn (8d), POT = 810
UTG checks
HERO (MP) bets 320
BU calls 320
UTG folds
Dealing River (6h), POT = 1450
HERO (MP) checks
BU bets 600

???

N

ninoverm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Once the 8d comes, which completes both flush and straight draws, I think it's better to keep checking praying for a cheap showdown. Better hands will call your bet, worse hands will fold. After the villian calls on the turn and bets the river I think you can be positive he has something like 67, QJ or any flush. Hard to be ahead at that point.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played the hand terribly. Never open limp preflop, open raise here or fold.

Why are we betting this turn? We're 4ways and there are a lot of bad rivers that can roll off, keep the pot small and check.

River is really close, however I think we have to call. Everything missed, and our opponent never really has 7x here. I would think he bets JJ+ on the flop.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
River is really close, however I think we have to call. Everything missed, and our opponent never really has 7x here. I would think he bets JJ+ on the flop.
What about 10X hands like J10s+? Even 910s fits in there, as does 99, 88, and even 67s if you want to get cheeky.

Though, I don't know if a lot of BTNs 4x BB raises with 67s or 910s. Maybe 88 or 99 and possibly A10.

The river looks like a value bet given the size of it. I'm not sure what hands we're beating here besides a bluff. We could definitely make a crying call and still have ~50 BBs if we lose, but I'm leaning more towards fold.

Would a blocking bet on the river worked here?

bushy_lufc

bushy_lufc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You played the hand terribly. Never open limp preflop, open raise here or fold.

Agree with all but this. There was a limp before him so i think over calling this hand is perfect. Why fold or bloat the pot. Super deep this is fine?

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yeah my bad, I did not notice there was a limper in front so limping 98s here is fine.

W

Wickedestjr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the feedback everyone. For the record, I wouldn't have open limped with my hand.

The UTG player might check a ten on the flop, but I doubt he has an over pair because he limped. I would also expect the BU to bet the flop if he had a ten or an over pair because of the flush and straight potential. For these reasons, I thought I probably had the best hand when we got to the turn card.

Not sure I understand or agree with the criticisms toward my turn bet.

*Yes, the 8 of diamonds completes both flush and straight draws, but I don't have any reason to suspect that either player had a draw. If anything, the BU's check on the flop could be a sign that he doesn't have a draw.

*The purpose of my bet isn't to get value from hands that I beat. I was hoping to just take the pot right then and there: I chose to bet in order to prevent hands like AK/AQ/KQ from catching a pair on the river. At this point, I agree that the button only calls with draws or with hands that are better than mine. However, I don't think all his draws get there on the river. He could have had a jack or a diamond or a hand like AQ (maybe).

Why are we betting this turn? We're 4ways and there are a lot of bad rivers that can roll off, keep the pot small and check.
For the record, we were three ways. The large number of bad rivers is the reason why I bet, to protect my hand from getting overtaken by draws or over cards.

*I do agree that the river bet looks like it could be for value, though.