$11 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked Rebuy: JJ in awkward spot

J

JohnCoffee90

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yo guys,
yesterday in the Sunday Storm I came across this awkward spot. How would you play it?

I have JJ with the J of spades and this is the hand:

pokerstars Hand #182015667755
Tournament #2180069707
MTT REBUY $10+$1
begins at 2018/02/04 7:20 pm
Seat 5 (Overcoba) is the dealer
Dudu895 posts ante 8.00
JohnCoffee90 posts ante 8.00
DarkSkies21 posts ante 8.00
v.v.b.78 posts ante 8.00
Overcoba posts ante 8.00
Technic4288 posts ante 8.00
pardal1 posts ante 8.00
LelaMaus03 posts ante 8.00
mihnastya posts ante 8.00
Technic4288 posts the small blind 40.00
pardal1 posts the big blind 80.00
LelaMaus03 folds
mihnastya folds
Dudu895 folds
JohnCoffee90 raises to 200.00 (JsJd)
DarkSkies21 folds
v.v.b.78 folds
Overcoba folds
Technic4288 folds
pardal1 calls 120.00
Flop: [Ts 9s Ks]
pardal1 checks
JohnCoffee90 bets 210.00
pardal1 raises to 853.00
JohnCoffee90 calls 643.00
Turn: 6♣
pardal1 bets 1220.00
JohnCoffee90 calls 1220.00
River: 7♣
pardal1 bets 7238.00

I guess I should've folded the turn. I'm blockin QJ, but I do not really know what he is playing that aggressively. 99? Probably 3b PF, two pair? I am not sure. What do you guys think?

SaintNick1968

SaintNick1968

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is usually a fold versus most opponents.

The sorts of hands villain is likely to bet the river at this size with after getting to it in this way include too many value combos. Lower Ax of spades which wouldn't 3-Bet, QJ and some combos of J8 and other straights are all examples of value hands they can have. Occasionally they can also have a 2 pair combo if they are very aggressive/ believe you are a calling station. The bluff combos he can have on the turn often contain an 8 (for example Q8 with a spade, J8) and have therefore got there on the river. In contrast, the only bluff combos I can see him usually raising the flop then barrelling like this are flush draw + straight draw combos. These include hands such as AQ and AJ with a spade, and even these hands may not raise the flop all the time (depending on opponent- HUD stats would be useful). Having the J of spades is bad at this point because it blocks more bluff combos than value combos.

With all this considered, you have many better hands which you can call with. You have sets, straights, and many other hands which don't block the few bluff hands he can have. I would say that these all make better calls than JJ with the J of spades, and so you need to let this one go.

M

martin17887

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely have to fold, maybe on the flop - definitely on the turn

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the check raise on the flop there is a big red flag. The BB calls your pre-flop raise from MP so we can assume he's generally not on total trash, but then check-raises you on the flop. After a c-bet there's not very much in his range that he'll likely re-raise with, AK, KQ, KJ and Axs all come to mind (obviously KJ is less likely) and all of those have you way behind. I don't really see a straight draw 3-betting here because it just turns into a really big risk if they don't connect on the turn or river. The likeliest case is that he has Ax with the Ace being a spade (AK with the ace being a spade would also be a really nice hand to bet this way with because you have the nut flush, top pair top kicker, and the nut backdoor straight). I would have folded after the flop most likely but no matter what after the turn since neither of your hands likely improved but he still made a large bet.

U

uavissar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Have to call turn. Fold river.

D

Don K3yKon6g

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
check-raise is a play that shows a lot of strength, usually two pairs or more. In this case I would seriously think about folding on the flop

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is absolutely no way to fold the flop. I mean hero holds the nut draw and is likely to have all of the villain's chips if he was on some pair+A high flush draw.
In any case, the turn is mostly a fold, because once you called the flop you, yourself showed strength, which means villain has to be very confident in his hand to be good, to value it once more, or an absolute maniac to bluff the turn.
River is definitely a fold as you only beat pure bluffs that weren't even drawing before, because if villain was bluffing with a hand that had any 8 in it, he now got there on the river.

akmost

akmost

Rising Star
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
What hands actually improve your hand on turn and river?Not many I guess,only Q/Qs actually. Since he shown so much aggression I would fold on the flop after his raise.Any spade will make you think twice a call because you are holding the third best flush.

He could raised you with a AsX hand which is the only combination you are beating at the showdown or less likely with Qx which I thing is a less likely move here.
If he bluffed you seriously well played by him but seems like he is beating you every time here and he looks for pure and maximum value by shoving.

Lastly he could have any two pair hands because if I am not mistaken he sits on the BB so you also losing for all his defended range , many KT,K9,9T here.