$11 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: $11 NLHE Deep Stacked: Top pair medium kicker vs. double barrel

W

Wickedestjr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$11 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: $11 NLHE Deep Stacked: Top pair medium kicker vs. double barrel

Full ring. Second hour of the tournament. Stacks are still fairly deep: I had around 11k at this point. Villain had around 15-16k. Villain seemed to be playing reasonably. Hadn't seen him bluff or do anything crazy.

Shuffling Cards
Antes Posted
Villain (SB) posted Small Blind 80
BB posted Big Blind 160
You Were Dealt (Jc,As)
UTG folds
UTG+1 folds
Hero (UTG+2) raised to 400
MP folds
HJ folds
CU folds
BU folds
Villain (SB) calls 400
BB folds
Dealing Flop (4s, Ac, 4c), POT: 1104
Villain checks
Hero checks
Dealing Turn (9h), POT: 1104
Villain bets 502
Hero calls 502
Dealing River (Ts), POT: 2208
Villain bets 1104
Hero ???

Not entirely sure what the correct decision is here. I have top pair with a medium kicker, but what am I beating other than a bluff? I seriously doubt he double barrels with a ten or a nine or a big pocket pair. Didn't feel like he would defend from SB with {A2, A3, A4}. Didn't think he'd double barrel with {A5, A6, A7, A8}. Everything else beats me. And I'm not sure what he could be bluffing with if he's just trying to steal.

Would appreciate any advice on this hand.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
snap call, since you checked flop he can be overvalueing Ax type hands here pretty easily. But basically since you didnt bet, you are forced to call here alot of the time simply because his range is as wide as possible since we haven't shown any aggression. he could be barrelling though late double barrells are uncommon really unless things have changed now. but yeah i'm calling this one for reasons above, his range includes bluffs, we checked flop to hopefully keep the pot under control, which we have done, and also to induce bluffs and to keep his range wide, both accomplished here.

you can avoid these situations by betting the flop, however on this board i actually love the line you took as there really isn't that much danger out there for us, it's very much a WA/WB situation, now if the flop is like AQTdd you will want to bet that one as it's much more wet and dangerous, and also to get a clear picture of where you stand in the hand.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you had solid reads that he rarely bluffs or overvalues in this spot then it's a pretty easy fold as the only real hands we can be ahead of are A8 and A7 at a stretch, every other hand beats us, so depends alot on in game reads also here.

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't understand why you checked on the flop when you hit your Ace. What information are you getting by checking? Betting would have at least give you an idea of where the villain stands on the hand. With two clubs and a pair on the flop, I wouldn't let the villain get a free card.

E

el Jefe

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
When you check the flop behind his check, I'd assume you are doing this in the hopes that he'd think a worse hand is good and that he'd put money into the pot. If not, why check and give him a free chance to improve to a better hand than yours?

Now he thinks his hand is good and he's value betting a really low amount and you are thinking of folding. How are you ever going to get value with this line if thinking? He's doing what you are inducing him to do and that is making you want to fold.

He could have a 4, 99, TT, AT, or A9, but he could also have Ax, or T9, JJ, QQ or KT, QT, JT that made a small bluff on the turn that got there on the river. You only need to be right 25% of the time, so I think you should call.

More important than the flop decision is the plan you have on the flop. If you think he won't take a stab at the pot without a hand that is better than yours, you shouldnt let him draw for free. You only make money checking the flop to a worse hand if the guy will put money in later with a worse hand.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Search "wa/wb concept" in the forums. Checking here often is a pretty good idea in general.

S

Sobrosa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
why not raise in flop? I think this was the first mistake