$11 NLHE MTT Bounty: Bad call with AA on the direct Bubble?

B

bkkblues99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$11 Bounty Builder. On the direct bubble. UTG+1 has been playing quite loose and has me covered. The Big Blind has also been quite loose (also has me covered), recently called a 15 BB shove with Q9s. (Basically they were both booty hunting).

My questions:

1. Was my 3Bet too small? Should I have shoved (knowing the villain will fold most of his range which I crush and hence losing value by shoving).

2. On the flop, should I have folded?

Once the BB bet and the UTG+1 went all in, I thought maybe I am behind but also with that board, it was also likely that one of them had Top Pair and the other villain had the Ac (me not having Ac means its likely one of them has it). It also did occur to me that UTG+1 could have flopped a straight (with KQ), in which case I am drawing dead. But either ways, my reasoning was that the min cash ($9) was insignificant (I made the min cash anyways).

Was my reasoning too optimistic? Should I have folded and waited for a better spot?

PokerStars No-Limit Hold'em, 11 Tournament, 600/1200 Blinds 180 Ante (9 handed) -

MP3 (t135,913)
Hero (CO) (t21,579)
Button (t67,129)
SB (t28,938)
BB (t84,117)
UTG (t45,946)
UTG+1 (t39,258)
MP1 (t20,142)
MP2 (t34,320)

Hero's M: 6.31

Preflop: Hero is CO with A
spade.gif
, A
heart.gif

1 fold, UTG+1 raises to t2,400, 3 folds, Hero raises to t4,800, 2 folds, BB calls t3,600, UTG+1 calls t2,400

Flop: (t16,620) 10
club.gif
, 9
club.gif
, J
club.gif
(3 players)
BB bets t16,800, UTG+1 raises to t34,278 (All-In), Hero calls t16,599 (All-In), BB calls t17,478

Turn: (t101,775) 3
spade.gif
(3 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t101,775) 9
diamond.gif
(3 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t101,775

A

Ambur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
As played: wp if fold on flop. Imo

It is close but im consider going AI preflop or commitive raise to induce rejam (m6.3). Imo

But i would not make minraise on preflop to induce since ante is high 180/1200. Imo

Ah sorry, it is bounty, than i will go AI preflop most time.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a bounty and you are short, shove pre!

ZenGreen

ZenGreen

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop raise is too small, 6.5K min ( hmm 18bb I would just shove) and that should of got a few folds but if it goes like this even with the raise, Im folding on that flop with that much action before me. its sucks but thats poker.

But hopefully that raise gets me headsup and UGGG!!! thats like the worst flop in the world.

B

bkkblues99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yea. The big blunder was the preflop raise sizing. Should have either kept it simple and shoved. Or a larger 3Bet. I was just too occupied trying to maximize the equity of my premium holdings range.

Specially with the loose spewy nature of the UTG+1, wanted to "reel him in" by offering him "odds he he can't refuse". Sure did backfire, specially with that flop. Lol.

I completely agree that flop is essentially one of the worst possible flops for AA with the action preflop. If we range the villains, they could easily have KQ, 78 for straight, J10, J9, 109 for two pair, (10s, 9s, JJ for sets but I think 10s and JJ would have jammed pre), and either one of them could have flopped the flush

And after the action on the flop, I should have folded because there's little to almost no chance that my AA had much equity. Would have still had about 13BB left which is a very workable short stack if played effectively.

Thanks for feedback guys. Much appreciated.

T

TheShek

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Shove pre or re-raise almost all in. It's a terrible flop so as played I would fold to this action (unless on tilt). Another option is to raise big enough to discourage the big blind to call and encourage UTG to shove or fold pre.

Although when I'm short I like to slow play Aces, build a pot and ideally double up. It works most of the time, but sometimes you just have to be strong and fold on the flop.

B

bkkblues99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well in hindsight, (although this is paying attention to the result)...the UTG+1 had 78 for the flopped straight and the BB had KJ (no clubs)....So if I had shoved all in, the BB probably would called for Bounty and the UTG+1 folds, I would have ended up winning a huge pot with doubling up + then some.

So yea, overall I'd say I played that hand pretty bad, specially pre-flop sizing and also the call on the flop.