$11 NLHE MTT: 77 UTG, Hero raises, SB Shoves, BB Rejams. Call or Fold?

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand History driven straight to this forum with DriveHUD Poker HUD and Database Software

NL Holdem $600(BB)
CO ($18130) [VPIP: 16.7% | PFR: 16.7% | AGG: 0% | 3-Bet: 20% | hands: 12]
BTN ($13006) [VPIP: 42.2% | PFR: 22.2% | AGG: 21.9% | 3-Bet: 5.9% | Hands: 45]
SB ($13130) [VPIP: 13% | PFR: 13% | AGG: 0% | 3-Bet: 18.2% | Hands: 23]
BB ($17430) [VPIP: 22.2% | PFR: 19% | AGG: 11.1% | 3-Bet: 13% | Hands: 64]
HERO ($18880) [VPIP: 22.3% | PFR: 15.8% | AGG: 33.1% | 3-Bet: 6.4% | Hands: 40769]
EP ($39767) [VPIP: 33.3% | PFR: 8.3% | AGG: 0% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 12]
MP1 ($33652) [VPIP: 21.5% | PFR: 6.2% | AGG: 21.9% | 3-Bet: 8.3% | Hands: 65]
MP2 ($29203) [VPIP: 21.5% | PFR: 12.3% | AGG: 20.8% | 3-Bet: 0% | Hands: 65]
HJ ($29820) [VPIP: 28% | PFR: 22% | AGG: 15% | 3-Bet: 5.6% | Hands: 50]

[B]Dealt to Hero: 7 7[/B]

HERO Raises To $1693, EP Calls $1633, MP1 Folds, MP2 Folds, HJ Folds, CO Folds, BTN Folds, SB Raises To $13130 (allin), BB Raises To $17430 (allin),

HERO Raises To $18880 (allin), EP Folds

Flop ($51433): J 9 8

Turn ($51433): J 9 8 5

River ($51433): J 9 8 5 7

SB shows: A J
BB shows: Q Q

HERO wins: $49983

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think fold. An All in and then a reshove in front of you. Wait to play a hand instead of gamble on a less than 33% chance. One of them is out after this hand and that might move you up the pay ladder.

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fold would be the best choice, snap fold in fact. There is no reason to risk your staying in tournament with a mid pair in 3way all in.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think fold. An All in and then a reshove in front of you. Wait to play a hand instead of gamble on a less than 33% chance. One of them is out after this hand and that might move you up the pay ladder.

Fold would be the best choice, snap fold in fact. There is no reason to risk your staying in tournament with a mid pair in 3way all in.

Ok, I guess I made the wrong play even though it paid off.

If it was only one player that shoved then that would be alright to call with headsup right? Just not 3way?

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can always get lucky. Sometimes it will pay off. But looking over all, like 100 times or 1000 times in the same situation, what % of times will it pay off and what % will you bust out of the game. Recreational players probably should call because hes going to lose eventually (from making calls like this over and over)and then redeposit over and over, where as a serious player tries to make the correct decision every time. The serious player looks at the big picture over time and tracts BB wins per hundred hands not one hand result.

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You can always get lucky. Sometimes it will pay off. But looking over all, like 100 times or 1000 times in the same situation, what % of times will it pay off and what % will you bust out of the game. Recreational players probably should call because hes going to lose eventually (from making calls like this over and over)and then redeposit over and over, where as a serious player tries to make the correct decision every time. The serious player looks at the big picture over time and tracts BB wins per hundred hands not one hand result.

Oh yeah I know, I agree 100%. I want to know and learn the best long term plays to the level of unconscious competence, that's why I posted that hand here despite winning it. I just always thought 77 is the lowest PP you should be willing to call all-in with but it makes sense not to want to get involved in a multiway all-in with that hand.

If it was only one player that jammed instead of two, would that be a call or still a snap fold?

S

sryImPro

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I guess I made the wrong play even though it paid off.

If it was only one player that shoved then that would be alright to call with headsup right? Just not 3way?

Personally, i would take my chances with 77 against one player, with condition that it’s an aggressive player to be exact, speaking in terms of hand that you posted. I don’t take any hand unconditionally, this isn’t supposed to be a pattern, on the contrary, every hand no matter if it’s 77 or any other hand, should be discussed differently depending on a type of player you play against, size of the stacks, positions etc.
It’s good subject to discuss tho and thanks for posting

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Personally, i would take my chances with 77 against one player, with condition that it’s an aggressive player to be exact, speaking in terms of hand that you posted. I don’t take any hand unconditionally, this isn’t supposed to be a pattern, on the contrary, every hand no matter if it’s 77 or any other hand, should be discussed differently depending on a type of player you play against, size of the stacks, positions etc.
It’s good subject to discuss tho and thanks for posting

OK, that's what I thought. I like 77 heads up too! These guys seemed to be pretty solid but I didn't have enough hands with them to get an accurate profile on their tendencies so that call was definitely taking a shot in the dark. I lucked out in this situation, fortunately!

Insta fold against 2 shoves. I am also folding if I have marked a player down as very passive as they only raise if they have strong holdings.

OK, yeah I usually stay out of the way of a passive/nitty profile who wakes up and shoves out of nowhere. That's definitely a red flag when I see that. That's good advice, thanks for the analysis!

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
easy fold. we can consider calling vs the single jam from the 20bb stack but even then I would fold. players tend to play pretty well facing an UTG open....it's not the range they try to bluff at a lot. best case you are flipping, but facing his range you are actually crushed (a range that might look like TT+, AQ+ you actually only have 37% equity. the pot odds you would be laid by a single 20bb jam would be roughly 1.5:1 you would need about 40% equity for a breakeven call (and that's assuming the EP caller doesn't call behind). and typcially in big spots for most of my chips I like to have significantly better than break even equity. I'd prefer to have about 45% equity here. To get a sense what that looks like, we need the SB to be shoving as wide as 55+, A5s+ KQo and KQs before we have 45% equity. so....its just a fold even vs the first jam.

in reality once you are facing the rejam you are basically dead. the rejam range should be pretty tight and probably looks like JJ+ and AK. facing those 2 ranges in reality you have soemthing like 25% equity and while the pot odds are better you can find a better spot than this when you've only invested less than 3bb.

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UTG you are projecting a strong hand. You already had a made hand and the BB and SB pushing seems like a huge bluff or a big hand in made like AK, AQ or even a small pair.

BB was likely defending here with something like QJ, K10 ECT. SB likely was trying to steal. In this situation I guess it would depend on how many hands I had played with each player previously and if I had a read on their player type.

With say 20 hands with these players you should have some kind of read. I see this alot online. Many times I am correct to assume the SB is stealing and the BB is on a bigger Unmade hand or just defending.

With players pushing more based on what some program or chart tells them to do, I really don't know ....

If I had to think as long as I am typing now, it's a fold here from me. Generally if it takes me more than 30 seconds to make a decision I should fold. So here I would fold but I wouldn't be happy to do so.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Without even looking at the reveal, I say fold. You're facing minimum overs and an overpair. Not a good move to call with 77.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Insta fold versus 2 all ins. Like someone already said a heads up call would depend on a lot of things but even then your opponent is going to have a lot of equity against you if your ahead

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
they shove and reshove to an UTG open for 20 and 30bb, so at least the bb is reping a really strong Hand here.

I would fold

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Easy fold vs 2 rejams - vs 1 shove - I'd probably cuss call. I really do do this! :)

Cuss call totally dependent on a lot of tourney situational factors and if I have info on the opponent. 7s are at the bottom of my shove calling range vs 1 opponent.

G

gorgos

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If this is late in the tournament, especially on the bubble, this is not a call you want to be making most. You'll either be entering a coinflip or you're dominated most of the time because people on the bubble are usually scared to go all in unless they have a super strong hand.

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
To me even if I have 10,10 it's a fold. After raise and re raise. I am dominated for sure.
I opened UTG+1 With JJ. Got 3 and 4 bet pre flop, I dumped my hand. The 3 better had AK
suited, the 4 better had KK.

Maybe I am too much of nit but I saved my stack by getting away cheap, instead of getting stacked.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely a fold. 3 ways even if you currently have the best hand your going to need to fade a lot of cards to stay that way and you could already be crushed.
Just because it worked doesn't make it right

B

bigthereal

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would say fold too, the opponents might have had better hands, even overpairsand your chances seemed quite low

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As many have said, this is a trivial fold. Hero is UTG, so he has a narrow range, and the opponents are not fish, so they will not be jamming light against Hero. SB showed up with AJs, which is probably about the worst hand, he will ever be jamming, and when BB overjam his range is even stronger, so seeing QQ is totally standard and expected.

I am not using programs like ICMizer, but I am pretty sure, Hero need at least JJ or AK to make a profitable call in this situation against players, who are jamming correctly. Of course we can always make a bad call and get lucky, but this is not, how we beat the games in the long run. Especially not when we move above the micros, which an 11$ tournament already is.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I don't like the original raise UTG with 77, so I would fold to 3bet and 4bet shoves with it. Unless the table is a folding machine, TT+, AQs, AK is my UTG range. With the VPIP you listed and the chip leaders to your left, you want to tighten up your range. Stick to good cards in good position.

Once the table thinks you are tight, you loosen up (and the other way around).

Folding in Poker