$109 NLHE MTT Bounty: Difficult postflop decisions

VovanBaron

VovanBaron

RiddlesInTheShadow
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker CC experts I need a help! Should I call flop, turn move, concerning the river I think I did mistake betting allin but I saw pot and I pushed to ...

partypoker, $109 + $0 - Hold'em No Limit - 400/800 (100 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

peledazmogis (UTG): 48,860 (61 bb)
vovanbaron15 (UTG+1): 41,716 (52 bb)
Salti69 (MP): 134,692 (168 bb)
Marquinhosss (MP+1): 39,975 (50 bb)
Getuponmylevel (CO): 57,212 (72 bb)
LeoMattosAK (BU): 13,270 (17 bb)
GettinDaize (SB): 50,150 (63 bb)
DCG_KLM (BB): 122,763 (153 bb)

Pre-Flop: (2,000) Hero (vovanbaron15) is UTG+1 with J Q
1 fold, vovanbaron15 (UTG+1) raises to 1,680, Salti69 (MP) calls 1,680, 4 players fold, DCG_KLM (BB) calls 880

Flop: (6,240) T 5 8 (3 players)
DCG_KLM (BB) checks, vovanbaron15 (UTG+1) bets 2,059, Salti69 (MP) raises to 7,238, DCG_KLM (BB) calls 7,238, vovanbaron15 (UTG+1) calls 5,179

Turn: (27,954) Q (3 players)
DCG_KLM (BB) checks, vovanbaron15 (UTG+1) checks, Salti69 (MP) bets 13,977, DCG_KLM (BB) calls 13,977, vovanbaron15 (UTG+1) calls 13,977

River: (69,885) 4 (3 players)
DCG_KLM (BB) checks, vovanbaron15 (UTG+1) bets 18,721 (all-in), Salti69 (MP) calls 18,721, DCG_KLM (BB) raises to 99,768 (all-in), Salti69 (MP) calls 81,047

Total pot: 288,142

Showdown:
DCG_KLM (BB) shows 8 8 (three of a kind, Eights)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 18%, Flop: 61%, Turn: 71%, River: 100%)

vovanbaron15 (UTG+1) shows J Q (a pair of Queens)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 16%, Flop: 31%, Turn: 24%, River: 0%)

Salti69 (MP) shows A A (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 66%, Flop: 8%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

DCG_KLM (BB) wins 288,142

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not going to call myself an expert by any stretch. This is a tough spot. My first instinct was to jam on the flop. It would come off looking like a set or AA/KK considering it's a bit of a wet flop. My initial read before seeing the hands was A 10 or K 10 suited for Salti, and some sort of drawing hand for DCG. But at the same time, you have all the big pairs in your range on that board and would probably be 3bet jamming with overpairs on that board...that makes DCG calling that spot look extremely strong, like he's not at all afraid of you 3bet jamming. You also are blocking most of the best drawing cards. 88 makes a ton of sense, but at the same time, I don't know how you can get away from that hand before the river. In real time, I'm probably getting it in on the flop or turn...I think both are fine plays. Based on flop/turn action, I think I'm check/folding the river. No way can your hand be good at that point.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
As played river is a check and pray it checks down. River fold to any bet.

However I was almost always going broke this hand. Jamming flop most likely. We have loads of equity with straight flush draw.

Don't really like call on turn given the size of the pot and we picked up top pair. The turn is the spot where you can make the read and make the fold and leave yourself plenty chips. But I probably open Jam turn most cases I'd say around 4/5 times, need to have a read in order to fold.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm either 3bet getting it in on flop & getting it in with the combo draw or as played giving up river.
The turn Q doesn't help us at all cause his flop raising range has all the sets, maybe J9s & T8s.
The only hands we beat are Flush draws but you block a lot of them as well & it's hard to assume he's flatting something like A9s,A7s there. Maybe A2s to A4s that's also a very maybe

Also the big blind tagging in is a huge no no for the river shove cause there's no fold equity with that stack size & you beat almost nothing

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First as a disclaimer I am not playing stakes this high, so I have no idea about general player pool tendencies. However I assume, these guys are at least decent, and then alarm bells should really go off, when BB cold call a raise.

So I really dont think, there is any other play now than to just call as well and hope to improve. If we 3-bet here, we have little fold equity, and we are going to get it in against a range, that has us in pretty rough shape. Hands like sets, two pair, the nut flush draw.

Therefore I also dont think, it makes any real difference, that we hit top pair on the turn. Unless they are both on a draw, which is kind of unlikely, we are still behind to at least one of them. So clearly just check-calling again.

On the river I am just giving up. We are never getting called by worse made hands, because they basically never have them. Once in a moon they will both have a missed draw and fold, and the rest of the time we are getting snapped off by hands like the flopped set. Or as it appears even from time to time slowplayed aces or kings.

K

kanselau

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough spot but you need to find the discipline to fold the turn .

I like the pre flop raise and Flop sizing but when you get raised alarm bells should start to go off and when the BB cold calls you are toast.

You block all the flush draws except AK which is raising pre mostly. You also block the straight draw which should never be raising your flop bet.

So we are looking at sets and 2 pair combos , to which we can flat the flop raise as we have a few outs , but we are definetly not loving life atm.

As preety as our hand looks its a snap fold on the turn to villain sizing .

vovqa93

vovqa93

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Turn fold .
We block KJh, KQh, but unblock AhXh(Can be any AhXh with any kicker that will call flop 3 way)
For sure 1 of opponents has 2pair/set/Jx9x and maybe blocks flushdraw(guy on big blind who calls some off-suited combos for sure can have J9o/79o).
So after turn bet from MP and call by BigBlind - it is easy fold.
By shoving the river we just saying we have straight, we have no JJ(bluff that blocks straights) that we fold turn, we have no QQ that we most of the times shove turn. We beat all missed draws by checking. As we see our opponents can have some preflop slowplays, and even that hands can block our flushdraws and even that hands will be there in very low freq. So most of the time on the turn we are totally behind and best scenario is chop the pot. Board hearts but pairs = we also have no bet 3way and they check back their combos that we beat, we get no value.
This spot is tuff to continue on the turn.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
not my stakes but i still try to give you some advice

first of all it's hard to put MP on a overpair with the flat call.
but the huge reraise on the flop and the Cold call from the bb should be a sign for at least one really strong Hand as we block the flushdraw. MP tries to go for value if you are on a draw. unfortunatly you get the worst river Card, so i don't mind the cbet.
shove on the river is just terrible though. what could you beat in a 3way pot with the Action given? Pretty much Nothing. just check fold….
the BB set up a perfect trap and MP thought he would slow Play his Aces on a dry board for value.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything is clear to the turn, you have a flashdro and there are still two unopened cards ahead. After the turn, you still have 9 outs for a flush, although the development of a trash flush from a lady doesn't look so attractive anymore. After the river, there are two opponents against you and you are able to beat only hands of type TJ and higher. Sorry, this is rarely seen even in freerolls and you play with a serious buy-in.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As played river is a check and pray it checks down. River fold to any bet.

However I was almost always going broke this hand. Jamming flop most likely. We have loads of equity with straight flush draw.

Don't really like call on turn given the size of the pot and we picked up top pair. The turn is the spot where you can make the read and make the fold and leave yourself plenty chips. But I probably open Jam turn most cases I'd say around 4/5 times, need to have a read in order to fold.

I agree with this. River is an easy check fold in this multi way pot. Even against sets, you have decent equity on the flop so a jam is the play for me.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think maybe I would have fold on the flop, because when one player raises, and another calls, in the rank of the villains there are many 88, 55, TT, ATs AKs etc.

When you call the raises on the flop, on the turn you will have spr of 1, in the pot there are 28K and you have 32K, and you will be committed to the pot, and you'll have to do push on the turn.

You had 52bb, and if you had about 30bb I like the push on the flop.
also we must take into account that it was a tournament of 100 dolars. :)

Last edited:
Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep, agreed on most of the replies. Would 3-bet that flop and likely shove it over a raise and a call.
The way you played, as Joeisi said, river is never a push or any sort of bet because only 67 and J9 got there, where J9 is the only "reasonable" hand for you to have. No one is folding better hands and no one is calling with worse either.

I don't agree with him that you shouldn't have called the turn, I think it is a clear check-call turn..

Tough one captain! :)