$109 NLHE MTT Bounty: AA on the button vs EP Min raise & Limper

T

tisco

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys!

I need to know was this sizing a little bit to big?
What size would you go in this spot?

PokerStars - 200/400 Ante 60 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 28.33 BB (VPIP: 14.29, PFR: 14.29, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 14)
Hero (BTN): 27.49 BB
SB: 45.05 BB (VPIP: 27.27, PFR: 18.18, 3Bet Preflop: 4.76, Hands: 45)
BB: 7.59 BB (VPIP: 15.56, PFR: 16.67, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 45)
UTG: 13.77 BB (VPIP: 7.69, PFR: 8.33, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 13)
UTG+1: 53.14 BB (VPIP: 31.25, PFR: 18.75, 3Bet Preflop: 14.29, Hands: 16)
MP: 30.23 BB (VPIP: 28.89, PFR: 18.18, 3Bet Preflop: 11.76, Hands: 45)
MP+1: 11.05 BB (VPIP: 23.53, PFR: 25.00, 3Bet Preflop: 22.22, Hands: 17)

8 players post ante of 0.15 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.7 BB) Hero has A:spade: A:club:

fold, UTG+1 raises to 2.04 BB, MP calls 2.04 BB, fold, fold, Hero raises to 7.19 BB, fold, fold, fold, fold

Hero wins 8.82 BB

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would go 8-9bb here so I don’t think 7bb was too big. But with your chip stack, I would probably shove a lot here with other value hands. With AA, 8bb is decent.

Gohaku94

Gohaku94

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just shove pre with that stack and action and it will do alot better

Pokersolomdp

Pokersolomdp

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker

I think the mistake in this hand is that the bet is very low

T

tisco

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very interesting thought process guys

J

johnsulliv

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would have bet smaller but close, I would have bet taking into consideration the 4bb agreed by those that raised and called, then added my own 3bb raise on top, possibly inciting a call with a shove from me on a flop against opponents perceived range (for a fold)

Not that I know.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Your profit with AA is only 6.78 BB; nevertheless, it is almost 10 part of your stack. Suppose you would make a mini-raise, get two calls and lose to two pairs 77 22. Would it really be better?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the size of our 3bets should be somewhat influenced by the depth of the effective stacks. at 100bb I am going to 3bet here to about 10bb. at this stack size I would probably make it 6.5-7.5bb. I think you nailed it!

something to consider...when picking our 3bet size....we want a size that is good for our whole range...and our range should (in theory) contain at least some bluffs. we want to always maintain the illusion that we could fold to a 4bet. if it's obvious based on our size that we cannot fold to a 4bet then our hand is kind of face up and works almost better as a jam. experts disagree on exactly where this line is but if you are 3betting to somewhere between 25% and 33% of your stack then it is usually just better to flat, jam or fold. 7.2bb is 26% of your stack so I think you did well making it as big as you could without making it really obvious you are never folding.

well played!

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
27bb stack man.... What about 3bet bluffs in this spot? Only 1 option - push

T

tisco

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the size of our 3bets should be somewhat influenced by the depth of the effective stacks. at 100bb I am going to 3bet here to about 10bb. at this stack size I would probably make it 6.5-7.5bb. I think you nailed it!

something to consider...when picking our 3bet size....we want a size that is good for our whole range...and our range should (in theory) contain at least some bluffs. we want to always maintain the illusion that we could fold to a 4bet. if it's obvious based on our size that we cannot fold to a 4bet then our hand is kind of face up and works almost better as a jam. experts disagree on exactly where this line is but if you are 3betting to somewhere between 25% and 33% of your stack then it is usually just better to flat, jam or fold. 7.2bb is 26% of your stack so I think you did well making it as big as you could without making it really obvious you are never folding.

well played!

Thanks Jacki, My thought process was also that the UTG1 open could be fairly strong, as well the raise could be seen as squeeze and maybe would make the UTG to Shove AQ+/77+?
Then again I never considered the Shove but it does make the hand looks week.
I think both has some merit but I think I lean more towards the raise to 7BB

T

tisco

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
If we are shoving 27BB with AA.
What is our bluffing range?
Cause we cant just be shoving 27 bigs with the nuts right?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

A typical 3b jam range here would include 88+ AQ+ AJs, KQs, KJs, JTs and A5s. That’s assuming you choose the jam option.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Strange question.
AK AQ AJ is a bluffs, 99+ is a value.
+25 percents of stack... You may push only value without bluffs.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Then again I never considered the Shove but it does make the hand looks week.
I think both has some merit but I think I lean more towards the raise to 7BB
Better question will be "what is our bluffing range when we 3betting 7bb? What about 3bet-fold? What about flop with 20bb our stack and 17 in a pot? How many bords will be ok to us? And what about your 3bet push range if you have 7bb 3bet range?"

Last edited:
Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Better question will be "what is our bluffing range when we 3betting 7bb? What about 3bet-fold? What about flop with 20bb our stack and 17 in a pot? How many bords will be ok to us? And what about your 3bet push range if you have 7bb 3bet range?"

Yes these are good questions. And generally the tougher your opponents and the more balanced they are the more we need to consider being balanced ourselves.

In weaker lineups it is frequently ok to play a little more exploitively and allow our opponents to make mistakes with THEIR range rather than make our own range unexploitable.

With AA and 27bb pretty much no matter how you get the money in it’s ok preflop flop or turn. That’s the exploitive part because our more vulnerable hands we are most likely just jamming. So this 3b range is not balanced. If our opponents are good enough to see that and disciplined enough to act accordingly then 3b jamming our entire 3b range is better. If our opponents are loose, fishy, undisciplined then choosing an exploitive 3b range can be better.