$100 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: WSOP-ME satty - short stack shove w/ floater still to act

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$100 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: WSOP-ME satty - short stack shove w/ floater still to act

wsop-ME satty, 13 players left, 7 on my table, 1st is $13K package, 2nd-5th get $$ ($1520 to $600)

BB T24K
UTG T120K
Hero (UTG+1) T226,500
UTG+2 T150K

Blinds, T15K/T3K BBA, T3K, last level of day 1, been playing for 10.5hrs, 15min left

UTG limps for T3K
Hero raise :kh4: :qh4: to T11.5K
UTG+2 calls T11.5K
folds to BB who shoves T18K
UTG folds

Hero: ??

What do you do here and why?

UTG+2 likes to float a lot and loves to bet when checked to. Also can be trappy at times. UTG+2 has not liked being on Hero's left as I've not limped any hands and UTG+2 has folded a lot of hands that s/he says they'd have played.

BB has a pretty wide range here. Has been run over since coming to our table about a level ago.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's a call at the very least. You already have almost 12k in the pot so another 6k is nothing to possibly beat anything from lower pairs to Ax. I would consider a raise since a call would essentially let the remaining player see the flop for "free" if BB ends up winning.

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just flat call the shove. Like puzzlefish said, it's only 6k more and if you get shoved on by UTG+2 we can find a pretty easy, albeit annoying, fold. On favorable flops, we can continue showing aggression and check/fold on flops we miss. BB range is very Ax heavy, but can also be pocket pairs and suited connectors looking to hit a nice flop and triple up. I think doing anything other than flat-calling pre is a bad move. If UTG+2 decides to re-raise your raise what is your plan? You could take the gamble, but with K high it's just not a good play(in my opinion).

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
That's actually a good question about having our 5bet 6betted.. at what point would we fold our KQs here?

And can we even 5bet in this situation since the all-in shove is less than double of our initial 3bet? I think we don't get to act here except to call?

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Got the stack size of the BB wrong. It was T30K so his shove was for T12.5K over my T11.5K raise. I think that allows me the option to 5-bet.

So with the option to 5-bet
1) Why would we want to just flat call here and allow the UTG+2 player to see the flop?
2a) Is our hand strong enough to try and get it heads-up against BB?
2b) Or is it better to see the flop and then bet since UTG+2 & BB will be sharing a lot of Ax hands?
3) Is there a bet size here that we can feel OK about a 5-bet and fold if UTG+2 shoves?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Got the stack size of the BB wrong. It was T30K so his shove was for T12.5K over my T11.5K raise. I think that allows me the option to 5-bet.

1) Why would we want to just flat call here and allow the UTG+2 player to see the flop?
2b) Or is it better to see the flop and then bet since UTG+2 & BB will be sharing a lot of Ax hands?
3) Is there a bet size here that we can feel OK about a 5-bet and fold if UTG+2 shoves?
I'm not thrilled about KQ when I see it. It's a drawing hand for me that often misses the board.

Having said that one reason for flatting and just seeing the flop with the extra player is to possibly extract more value, since a strong 5bet pre-flop could induce a fold and we could lose against the short stack for nothing. If we connect well with the board, we could build the pot further or otherwise escape for the minimum cost.

We might get shoved at either way, but our remaining villain sounds like they will be playing with us either way and not likely shoving. We have them covered after all. I would be *okay* with a min 5bet here but not enthusiastic about it. There are better spots to play from. However, as I said before, at least worth a flat call.

SirYivx

SirYivx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

1) You have stated that said player can be trappy. The main concern here is 5-betting and getting 6-bet. Calling a 6-bet with KQs is pretty optimistic.

2a) We are likely ahead of BB range..but raising to get heads up eliminates extra money being won in a side pot vs UTG +2 if we are in fact behind BB range but ahead of UTG +2.

2b) ^

3) This really depends on you. Me personally, no. I feel like I am just burning money doing this. There are of course times when it is profitable..maybe with a hand like Ak or AQ instead of KQ. If I was deeper, then I would also take it into account, but on these short stack sizes with such a top-heavy prize pool, I prefer to play small ball with hands like these..they play great post-flop but you just feel awful when you get it all in pre against any Ax hand.

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call is fine. Jamming is probably fine as well but probably not as good as a call.

WSOP