£100 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: QQ IP facing UTG 4bet , early stage MTT

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Live MTT, first orbit and no info on any player, Blind level 50/100, full ring , rebuy available. Opening stack for all the players are 400BB

UTG open raised to 4BB, UTG+1 3-bet with Q♣Qto 16.5BB, UTG+2 called and BB called. UTG 4-bet to 104BB, UTG+1 called. UTG+2 and BB folded.

Flop: (241.5BB, 2 players)
236♠

UTG shoved (~300BB), UTG+1 ?

What would you do if you are UTG+1 preflop/postflop?

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m inclined to fold preflop to the 4bet. I know it sounds really nitty but you’re only beating bluffs; and you can’t profitably set mine here and you can’t profitably play QQ for 400 bb on it’s face value.

You’ve only got 16bb invested. If he wants to risk 400+ bb on a bluff or overplaying AK or JJ then good for him

X

xbursonicx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me the combination of preflop 4-bet, position (UTG) and absence of info on the villain is more than enough to fold pocket QQ.

Talking about postflop implies talking about calling 4-bet. Assuming you are an underdog preflop the only way to get ahead is to hit a set; the chances of that are too low to consider paying about 100BB for seeing the flop. So calling 4-bet can only make sense if you can allow rebuy(s) and you are going to call the villain's all-in postflop no matter what.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Folding QQ preflop this early is not fun but what are you beating at this point. While folding this hand is a bit on the nitty side the truth of the mater is your fold was correct. You also really need to respect the UTG 4 bet. While there are some crazy players at the micros and in live play how often do you see this with 400BB deep stacks in a live game and this player bluffing. not often at all.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think our price is much less important than the fact that people just DON'T do this sizing with AK live. I mean it's the first level and he's comfortably putting in 1/4 of the stacks pre? It just screams of aces tbh. Possibly kings. But's almost certainly not queens, and it's DEFINITELY not jacks or AK. It's just not.

As missjacki has said, we aren't getting the odds to set mine, so just profusely thank the player (in your head) for telling you exactly what he has, and muck your cards.

Most of the live players at these levels have been conditioned to go for the kill with aces, not only because they're horrified of making any kind of decision postflop, but also because they've seen people NOT get away from coolers time and time again. Plus if they DO get it in pre and lose the hand to a worse holding, now they've got "the story" - "I got it in with aces pre in level 1 - yeah in LEVEL ONE. Guy had queens. He got there on the river - ON THE RIVER can you believe that?? Every damn time..."

They get to feel smart no matter what happens. They either win the pot, or they lose and have their bad beat story.

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks everyone, actually I was playing UTG with AhAd and UTG+1 put me on TT+ and called my shove on the flop. Did have a bad beat this time though

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks everyone, actually I was playing UTG with AhAd and UTG+1 put me on TT+ and called my shove on the flop. Did have a bad beat this time though

Mind blown. Super sneaky post lol.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Live MTT, first orbit and no info on any player, Blind level 50/100, full ring , rebuy available. Opening stack for all the players are 400BB

UTG open raised to 4BB, UTG+1 3-bet with Q♣Qto 16.5BB, UTG+2 called and BB called. UTG 4-bet to 104BB, UTG+1 called. UTG+2 and BB folded.

Flop: (241.5BB, 2 players)
236♠

UTG shoved (~300BB), UTG+1 ?

What would you do if you are UTG+1 preflop/postflop?

Hello,

If you were prepared to play multiple bullets in this mtt then I recommend a call to villians jam and you played preflop well. If you don't plan on rebuying then fold preflop to his 4Bet.

T

Transitley

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well done everyone for rightly putting ‘villain/hero?!?’ on Aces. Some learnings there too 😁

Sabrina Mix

Sabrina Mix

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
would give up the hand there even AA AA utg and utg +1 Kk you would be losing easily

I would try to have more information about the villains and I dare just fear the certainty that I would be ahead and with my partner QQ

Last edited by a moderator: