$100 NLHE MTT: $100 NLHE MTT: $ NLHE MTT: AA vs 77 - How To Play Post-Flop?

U

Unkinhead

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Was level 3 of a $100 buy-in 20,000 chip MTT i believe it was 200/400 blinds at this hand.

Had basically beginning stack + a small pot. Table image was probably somewhat aggressive

I woke up with AA(heart, diamond) in position to a 3x raise called by 4 people. I reraised 10x iirc. 1 caller.

Flop comes 4 club, 7 club, 8 spade
Villian checks
I bet something like half pot, feeling like i had the best hand, that 77 was unlikely and 88 was a possibility.
He reraises all in
I call and see the bad news.

How could i have played this hand differently? This early in a tournament would i have had better luck shoving pre? I felt that deep into the pot with a draw heavy board i had to call the remaining in order to fend off the very profitable semi bluffs, but I'm not sure. Should I just have easily known i was beat here? I'm a bit of a nit. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You started with a little more than 50BB, and then there is absolutely no way, you can ever fold AA postflop. Maybe on the worst board in the world like QJT monotone, you have no flushdraw, but in general you are pot committed, and if someone flopped a set, its just good for them.

However you kind of created this cooler yourself by 3-betting so small. 10 BB is standard against a single player, but with 5 players involved, there was already around 17,5BB including the blinds and antes in the pot. So you gave people incredibly good odds to make some loose call and try to suck out on you.

With 100BB starting stacks, you can make it 20-25BB, but when you are kind of short like this, I would probably go all in. You will still get action often enough, and picking up 17,5BB uncontested is not a bad outcome at all.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don’t think you can fold here. You can shove preflop and take the 9+ bbs but its how you want your game balanced.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the post-flop action was the right one you were not going to check or fold that hand, just bad luck the villain got a set, the hand was well played you just had bad luck

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is from the series: who has a strip of white to whom a strip of black. The size of your pre-flop raise in this case is not decisive because instead of sevens there could be kings justifying a call for a raise of any size, but still inferior to your ace before the flop and turned into a monster after. If during the hand you moved a little towards the white line, then an ace would have come on the river. The problem is to determine which side is the white bar and which one is black.

I

Ianmacca99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The problem you've created is that players only have to pay 7bb more into a pot of 27 if I've done the maths correctly which is around 4-1 you need to make the odds a lot smaller by making it 20-25bb that makes it paying 22 more into a pot of 44 making the bet odds even money

You could even shove here, occasionally 7s will call you but your not giving the opponent the right odds to make the call.
As played your opponent could have a set but don't think you can fold here on this board. In future think about your sizings in multi way pots you have to build the pot for value and to thin the field your equity will drop massively if it goes 3 or 4 way to the flop

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With a 50 BB stack to start the hand, you can't get away from AA there.

It's a bad board for 1 big overpair, but if you fold there, you'll be folding the best hand too often.

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Was level 3 of a $100 buy-in 20,000 chip MTT i believe it was 200/400 blinds at this hand.

Had basically beginning stack + a small pot. Table image was probably somewhat aggressive

I woke up with AA(heart, diamond) in position to a 3x raise called by 4 people. I reraised 10x iirc. 1 caller.

Flop comes 4 club, 7 club, 8 spade
Villian checks
I bet something like half pot, feeling like i had the best hand, that 77 was unlikely and 88 was a possibility.
He reraises all in
I call and see the bad news.

How could i have played this hand differently? This early in a tournament would i have had better luck shoving pre? I felt that deep into the pot with a draw heavy board i had to call the remaining in order to fend off the very profitable semi bluffs, but I'm not sure. Should I just have easily known i was beat here? I'm a bit of a nit. Any help would be appreciated.

Hello,

It's easy to second guess yourself when you lose like this. You played well and I like the line you took. Villian could easily have KK here and play the exact same post flop. Going all in preflop would be fine in my opinion with all the callers at that point.