$10 NLHE STT: $$10 NLHE STT: Call a Shove 3-handed with Big Stack in the BB?

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We are three handed in an America;s Card Room $10 SNG, with standard payouts; $45 for 1st, $27 for 2nd, and $18 for 3rd. The Big Stack is the big blind with ~8,700 chips, Hero is the small blind with ~2,300 chips and the button has ~2,500 chips. Blinds just increased to 150/300

BB has been the table leader the whole game limping or calling at least 1/2 of the hands for the last 10 rounds, following with less than 1/2 pot bets on the flop if checked to and min betting when OOP. She has folded to shoves a few times but has called pretty wide. BB just put out her 4th player calling a 1,100 chip shove with 87o and catching against AJs.

BB post 300 and Hero post 150, (leaving 2,250 behind). Button barely covers Hero and shoves. He has pushed a few times before an I think he will with 15% of his range. I look down to see 88. Hero is flipping against that range and calling 2,250 to win 2,700. Without ICM considerations this is a clear call, but is it a fold given Villain in the BB will surely over call if Hero calls?

Last edited:
J

Jamuka7657

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With less than 8 BBs getting all in with 88 seems worth it in a SNG when ITM.

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should be calling here too. Basically you have a coinflip with 88 vs. a 15% shoving range and if you add the 50% calling pattern from the big stack you have just about 35% equity to take it down. The worst case scenario is that you get knocked out and get a $8 profit from the game, best case you hit trips or your pair holds on and you get a hefty chip lead (assuming big stack calls). If you don't call you'll either be the short stack with both villains now having about 2x your stack or the big stack will get the KO and they'll have about 5x your stack, but you move up the money to $27. Taking all that into consideration I think, imo, it's better to have a chance to take the lead or make it closer for HU if you call than being behind and hoping the big stack knocks out the other person and gets even more chips.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I thought about it a long time, using up the clock before I sucked it up and called. The big stack over called with TT, other villain showed A7s. TT holds and the game is over with Hero is out in 3rd place.

I think the error was made when we got 4 handed and let the big stack push the table around,

1dkp0k3r

1dkp0k3r

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Button jam, BB has a history of calling wide, ICM it is probably a fold. Hope that BB busts the BTN, if not, find a better spot, preferably heads up

W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
88s are not a strong enough hand to risk it all with. Break it down like this. He can any connectors above 88 give u a slight advantage, but you still lose 47 percent of the time. 66s and down you win 80 percent. 99s and up you lose 80. Given any range he may have, other than a complete trash bluff you are only a slight favorite most the time. On average lets say you win the highest possible rate of about %53 percent of the time or whatever. That means you still end your tournament life 47 percent of the time even if you are right. On top of that, as you mentioned, chip leader is running hot and calling everything. Moral of the story, live to fight another hand. there will be more favorable situations.

W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets say you find your self with the same 88s but now its just you and bb. here going all in is the favorable choice because you have two ways to win. It increases your long term equity to be the agressor and not the caller. 88s are definitely too marginal to regularly call an all in IN THE LONG TERM. Depending on how desperate you are in chip to blind ratio too

S

Sprockett

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should call. You are already in the money, so now you should play for the win, and this is may be the best option you get to double up. You probably know this better then me (since you played agains him), but if the bubble just burst I think 15% is a bit tight range to put him on. My fist thought is that you are crushing his range. Either way I am calling this.

Just my 2 cents

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought about it a long time, using up the clock before I sucked it up and called. The big stack over called with TT, other villain showed A7s. TT holds and the game is over with Hero is out in 3rd place.

I think the error was made when we got 4 handed and let the big stack push the table around,

I agree the decision with 88 is obvious.

You are right to look back to previous hands and determine if you misplayed some hands just before that 4-handed.

Love the Carlin quote in your signature by the way! :cool:

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands