$.10 NLHE MTT: Loose preflop raiser - terrible river card

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I had just noted on this player before this hand that they are VERY active pre-flop and seem to make solid value bets once the cards hit. How would you play this hand against such a player?

Table and Position ReviewGame started at: 2018/8/2 18:20:21
Game ID: 1239981914 400/800 $75 GTD, Table 23 (Hold'em)
Seat 3 is the button
Seat 1: AcooltartA (35246).
Seat 2: CgCook38 (16304).
Seat 3: VelvetMonkey (22442).
Seat 4: CHACEIN (17390).
Seat 5: hicandturkey1 (9285).
Seat 6: Elloco Buda (462).
Seat 7: StickeyRice (65072).
Seat 8: tjfish914 (35860).
Seat 9: letsdothis50 (7710).
Player CHACEIN ante (80)
Player hicandturkey1 ante (80)
Player Elloco Buda ante (80)
Player StickeyRice ante (80)
Player tjfish914 ante (80)
Player letsdothis50 ante (80)
Player AcooltartA ante (80)
Player CgCook38 ante (80)
Player VelvetMonkey ante (80)

*** Blinds ***
Player CHACEIN has small blind (400)
Player hicandturkey1 has big blind (800)

Pot = 1920

*** Preflop ***
Player CgCook38 received card: [ Ac: ]
Player CgCook38 received card: [ 6h: ]
Player Elloco Buda folds
Player StickeyRice folds
Player tjfish914 calls (800)
Player letsdothis50 folds
Player AcooltartA folds
Player CgCook38 calls (800)
Player VelvetMonkey folds
Player CHACEIN calls (400)
Player hicandturkey1 checks

pot = 3620

*** Flop ***
[ 7d: 9d: As: ]
Player CHACEIN checks
Player hicandturkey1 checks
Player tjfish914 bets (800) pot = 4420
Player CgCook38 calls (800)
Player CHACEIN folds
Player hicandturkey1 folds

pot = 5220

*** Turn ***
[ 7d: 9d: As: ] [ Qc: ]
Player tjfish914 bets (2400) pot = 7620
Player CgCook38 calls (2400)

pot = 10,200

*** River ***
[ 7d: 9d: As: Qc: ] [ Td: ]
Player tjfish914 bets (4000)

JusThieF

JusThieF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is complite post ? Becouse in my mind is wtf? maybe becouse its 5:30 am but i just dont understand.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a bit of a confusing read. Nonetheless the summary here for me is simple...you called him this far, the river seems like a clear call. If he had a better ace he wouldve likely raised preflop, in turn i think given the opponents image that his range of Ax combos is very similar to yours given the preflop action.

Point and case of limping preflop here...i rarely enter pots that i am going to play in late position by limping...especially an Ax rag combo hand. If you are going to play the hand, raise it up and at least represent the strength. Raise it up and represent or fold that garbage and look to put it with better hands.

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this is complite post ? Becouse in my mind is wtf? maybe becouse its 5:30 am but i just dont understand.

Yeah I can't find an ACR hand history converter that's worth a damn. But is this your way of asking if this is a stupid question? ;)

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Point and case of limping preflop here...i rarely enter pots that i am going to play in late position by limping...especially an Ax rag combo hand. If you are going to play the hand, raise it up and at least represent the strength. Raise it up and represent or fold that garbage and look to put it with better hands.

Noted. Specifically, with this player I called because I believed I was ahead, but I didn't want to give them the chance to bet me off the hand preflop. I had position, so I decided to keep it instead of giving them last action on the flop, if you catch my drift.

I was worried specifically about the river card here - it matches a lot of things that I put them on preflop - but also, with a range that wide, it also misses. It was a tough spot, but the money to be had was a lot compared to bet sizing.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Noted. Specifically, with this player I called because I believed I was ahead, but I didn't want to give them the chance to bet me off the hand preflop. I had position, so I decided to keep it instead of giving them last action on the flop

You cannot play scared...your good opponents will pick up on that and make life tough for you...i would if i sensed that from you for even a second. If you think you are good - be confident, open the pot with a raise, show strength and take control - dont worry so much about what a LAG opponent will do.

Now the money question, did you call? And if so, did you win?

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You cannot play scared...your good opponents will pick up on that and make life tough for you...

Now the money question, did you call? And if so, did you win?

Oh I wasn’t scared here. (I was in the AA hand) I think trying to bet someone off a worse hand is scared. I was comfy going to the flop, but maybe they sensed fear too. I did end up calling. They had a TJo, no diamond and I won. Semi bluffing the whole way.

B

bark9188

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I fold pre-flop, but I'm raising on the flop. AJ-AK is probably raising pre-flop; anything you are behind to is going to re-raise the flop and you can bail. I think you are ahead a good amount here and can take it down on the flop.