$10 NLHE MTT: Folding a full house?

U

uavissar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Online tourney. Pretty early in the tourney. I have around 50 bb. Villain has close to 60bb.
I don't have a sufficient number of hands with this villain, but I do know from sharkscope he is a profitable player.

Villain raises from UTG 2.2BB.
Everyone folds.
I'm in the BB and call with :4d4::4h4:

Flop is :qh4::6h4::6c4: Pot is 5BB.
I check.
Villain Cbets quickly 2.5bb
I call.

Turn is :4s4: BAM! Pot is 10BB
I check.
Villain bets 4BB.
I raise to 9BB. Trapping while increasing pot. I want him to chase whatever. Maybe shove on me (Mistake?)
Villain thinks a bit and calls.

River is :qc4: Pot is 28BB.
I check.
Villain bets 21BB.

Hero?? (got 37bb or 38bb behind)

A

AlexTheOwl

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What was your plan when you called the flop?

I think the small turn raise is fine. You are setting things up so that you can go all in on the river without making a massive over-bet.

River is tricky. Even if he had AA he should be checking here for pot control on a double-paired board.
If he has something and thinks you are bluffing, he should be checking and hoping you will bluff.
If he has nothing it could be a re-bluff, but that's a high-risk play. He would have to see you as bluffy AND capable of folding. You say you don't have many hands with this villain, so he shouldn't have enough info for this kind of read on you.

There's a lot of the word should above. Sometimes people don't do what they should, but we have to give players credit for being decent until they prove otherwise.

I assume there are nine players?

He probably doesn't raise UTG with many hands that include a 6 except for 66. AQ, KQ, and QQ are possibilities. It's not possible for him to have 44.

I don't think he makes this river play with many hands that you beat. It's early in the tournament. Fold and preserve your stack.

U

uavissar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Answered in green below

What was your plan when you called the flop? - My plan- at least from my experience online, regs insta cbet against randoms. My pair can be good here.

I think the small turn raise is fine. You are setting things up so that you can go all in on the river without making a massive over-bet. - Exactly.

River is tricky. Even if he had AA he should be checking here for pot control on a double-paired board.
If he has something and thinks you are bluffing, he should be checking and hoping you will bluff."]- I act first, but I still think he should check all except a Q
If he has nothing it could be a re-bluff, but that's a high-risk play. He would have to see you as bluffy AND capable of folding. You say you don't have many hands with this villain, so he shouldn't have enough info for this kind of read on you.

There's a lot of the word should above. Sometimes people don't do what they should, but we have to give players credit for being decent until they prove otherwise.

I assume there are nine players? - yes

nucl

nucl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my experience if someone insta cbet then there is a high possibility that he is trying to take the pot down right now.But he bet the turn witch means that he probably has it.

Let's talk about the game play.
Villain open the UTG to a 9max table.His range include all the pairs, all the suited broadways,some unsuited broadways and maybe some suited connectors.
And you as BB your range is wide, not so much but wide.
In that flop villain has more Qs than you and you have more 6s than him.When you 3bet on the turn you seem to have almost always some 6s, from the tank of villain and later called you his hand includes all the big pairs and Qx.The river is a Q witch is a good card for villain.
You cheked river and villain bet 75%.
Now his range is reducing to only Qx since all pairs will chek it back on the river.
So I believe you should fold because villain is trying to get max value from all of your 6s.

U

uavissar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
From my experience if someone insta cbet then there is a high possibility that he is trying to take the pot down right now.But he bet the turn witch means that he probably has it.

Let's talk about the game play.
Villain open the UTG to a 9max table.His range include all the pairs, all the suited broadways,some unsuited broadways and maybe some suited connectors.
And you as BB your range is wide, not so much but wide.
In that flop villain has more Qs than you and you have more 6s than him.When you 3bet on the turn you seem to have almost always some 6s, from the tank of villain and later called you his hand includes all the big pairs and Qx.The river is a Q witch is a good card for villain.
You cheked river and villain bet 75%.
Now his range is reducing to only Qx since all pairs will chek it back on the river.
So I believe you should fold because villain is trying to get max value from all of your 6s.

I agree completely. Annoying spot.
I don't see many players betting river after calling 3bet on turn without a Q. In my opinion a good player would check behind AA, KK and even a 6 in that spot.

Thought about it, reached the same conclusion and folded.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Yeah, good fold on the river. You beat zero value bets. But why you raised so small on the turn. It doesn't make sense, he should snap call such a small raise with any pair and draw.

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a tough spot. I probably lean towards a fold here. I would raise bigger on the turn. If he has a Q, he’s not folding a lot of times.

gogadgetdx

gogadgetdx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tough Spot

Online tourney. Pretty early in the tourney. I have around 50 bb. Villain has close to 60bb.
I don't have a sufficient number of hands with this villain, but I do know from Sharkscope he is a profitable player.

Villain raises from UTG 2.2BB.
Everyone folds.
I'm in the BB and call with :4d4::4h4:

Flop is :qh4::6h4::6c4: Pot is 5BB.
I check.
Villain Cbets quickly 2.5bb
I call.

Turn is :4s4: BAM! Pot is 10BB
I check.
Villain bets 4BB.
I raise to 9BB. Trapping while increasing pot. I want him to chase whatever. Maybe shove on me (Mistake?)
Villain thinks a bit and calls.

River is :qc4: Pot is 28BB.
I check.
Villain bets 21BB.

Hero?? (got 37bb or 38bb behind)

Really tricky situation you found yourself in, here. Villain definitely did not have a 6, and definitely had the Q.

I disagree with other posters questioning the smaller turn bet. You were seeking maximum extraction (as you should). Had you bet more, you may not have got a call, so only a small score. Just because the villain rivered the nuts DOESN'T mean you made a mistake. >92% of the time, you make out like a bandit.

froggeedogs

froggeedogs

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that once the flop was down, you should have folded. the lucky turn only gets you into trouble. definite fold on the river as well. set mining with small pairs really only works if you are wiling to push hard on a flop hit. just my opinion.

U

uavissar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yeah, good fold on the river. You beat zero value bets. But why you raised so small on the turn. It doesn't make sense, he should snap call such a small raise with any pair and draw.

Exactly the reason I raised small. If I raise big, a pair below Q and definitely an draw may fold.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you played this hand very well and I'm assuming you folded river which is also correct. This river bet is a nuts or nothing type spot and he has to be bluffing 30% of the time here for you to break even. (you only have a bluff catcher, you beat no value).

basically when he calls your turn raise he has something and that something is most likely a queen (but not always) when he bets again on the river it's only bluffs and nuts and we knew from turn he had something (so no bluffs). so this river bet is for value like 90% of the time or more. gross runout. you were probably ahead pre, flop and turn.

sometimes people play bad and not logically and he could be overvaluing a hand we beat or just going crazy....but it's not enough to reach the threshhold of being good 30% of the time (IMO)

bkniefel

bkniefel

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That is a tricky one and I think you put yourself into it. I call it, "calling to fold hands" that can get your chips trapped with a small pair like you did hoping to nail it on the flop which is all fine and well but you have to know when to get out or commit to the hand.

Given that you did commit and hit the 4 on the turn, I would have put my chips in. He could have had a Q or a A6 which we will never know for sure.

My guess is that the individual had either a Q or maybe AK and just couldn't lay it down (see it all the time) and figured with two pair that you didn't have it by just calling. The flip side is that maybe since you were just calling.. that he figured he could value you in but that was quite the bet on the river so it could have also been a bluff with 2 pair and A high.

Folding in Poker