$1 NLHE STT Turbo: This AA pair I don't know if I played wrong, but I feel like I ran out of information

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
$1 NLHE STT Turbo: This AA pair I don't know if I played wrong, but I feel like I ran out of information

The villain did a slow play and I ran out of information. GG but I still ended up nailing this sit!
I don't know if I would be able to drop this AA in any way on this spot ... would anyone? or would you play any other way?

888Poker, $0.85 + $0.15 - Hold'em No Limit - 50/100 (10 ante) - 3 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

LeuowM (BU): 1,380 (14 bb)
LabutaPOKER (SB): 8,112 (81 bb)
KINGROYAL999 (BB): 4,008 (40 bb)

Pre-Flop: (180) Hero (LabutaPOKER) is SB with A A
1 fold, LabutaPOKER (SB) raises to 300, KINGROYAL999 (BB) calls 200

Flop: (630) 7 J 9 (2 players)
LabutaPOKER (SB) bets 415, KINGROYAL999 (BB) calls 415

Turn: (1,460) 5 (2 players)
LabutaPOKER (SB) bets 963, KINGROYAL999 (BB) calls 963

River: (3,386) 2 (2 players)
LabutaPOKER (SB) bets 3,334, KINGROYAL999 (BB) calls 2,320 (all-in)

Total pot: 8,026

Showdown:
LabutaPOKER (SB) shows A A (a pair of Aces)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 80%, Flop: 13%, Turn: 5%, River: 0%)

KINGROYAL999 (BB) shows J J (three of a kind, Jacks)
(Equity - Pre-Flop: 20%, Flop: 87%, Turn: 95%, River: 100%)

KINGROYAL999 (BB) wins 8,026

manolo salazar

manolo salazar

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you had to think a little bit more about villain's had range.
When he continued calling your bets , you had to think why he is doing that. Why he did not fold or re reraise me when I am betting .
I think you fell in love with your AA and you wanted all the money at once.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Interesting hand in an interesting spot in a SnG. You are the chip leader and the villain in this hand is second in chips with 3rd being very low. That should be kept in mind as the 2nd in chips will normally play not to bust out before the low player in chips.

Pre flop is good a raise at a good size. I think some could argue that you go smaller or bigger here but that would be splitting hairs. 3x is just fine. Just note that your opponent should not be calling too loose here in my opinion as he does not want to bust out in 3rd place with the other player being low in chips.

The flop C bet is a touch on the large side and this changes your sizing throughout the rest of the hand. The larger you bet on the flop, the larger you will bet on the turn and river should you bet on those streets. Note again the player should be calling only with made hands as they should be worrying about busting third.

The turn for us I think is a good card. Yes, it completes 86 but it is not a heart and a card I think we need to barrel on. Again I would choose a smaller sizing and here is where it starts to get critical to do so. With the larger bets you have made you are getting yourself committed to the pot and committed to jamming the river. Most signs as of now point to we want to get all of villains chips in on the river but we should never size ourselves into having to do that. It should always be our option to put him all in and not have the math dictate it to us. When he calls our bet I am still thinking I am ahead but I am getting worried now and thinking he may have spiked some crazy two pair combo. He should not be calling these bets without a strong hand as again he should be afraid of busting.

The river is a great card for us, a blank 2 that changes nothing. As played with the bet sizes previously made on the flop and turn I think you have no choice but to put him all in and hope he has Jx that is not two pair. With smaller flop and turn bets we have could been at a 1.4 or so pot size shove bet that could give us the option of going smaller or still putting him all in if we chose. When we make this bet we kind of know that if he calls we are beat a decent amount of the time depending on SnG buy in amount. We can think about checking this river to him but I really dont like that as played as he is either shoving and we give him a chance at bluffing or he is checking behind with marginal made hands that we would have beat and now are missing value.

This hand is a bit of cooler and bad luck that AA vs JJ and the Jacks hit their set but you may have been able to save some chips with bet sizing. It would have got tough on the river as if we didnt shove and then he shoves over us we have to make that decision. However, at that point what would he be calling two streets and jam raising the river on us with knowing 3rd place is low in chips?

Sorry for the book of an explanation on this. I do think it is an interesting hand that could be taken way deeper than what I have wrote.

Last edited:
Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Seems like a standard cooler to me. Villan never indicated any signs of extreme strength. We are getting value from Jx and flush draws and straight draws. Villan should be raising us with 2 pair or better to try and get all of their money in for the double up. The way the villan played this hand I dont think there is much that can be done here.

I feel like this is another example of being results oriented and had you won the hand you wouldn't even be questioning your play had the villan showed down AJ or KJ.

Just a cooler for me. It is what it is, chalk it up and move on.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very good your explanation thank you very much

Interesting hand in an interesting spot in a SnG. You are the chip leader and the villain in this hand is second in chips with 3rd being very low. That should be kept in mind as the 2nd in chips will normally play not to bust out before the low player in chips.

Pre flop is good a raise at a good size. I think some could argue that you go smaller or bigger here but that would be splitting hairs. 3x is just fine. Just note that your opponent should not be calling too loose here in my opinion as he does not want to bust out in 3rd place with the other player being low in chips.

The flop C bet is a touch on the large side and this changes your sizing throughout the rest of the hand. The larger you bet on the flop, the larger you will bet on the turn and river should you bet on those streets. Note again the player should be calling only with made hands as they should be worrying about busting third.

The turn for us I think is a good card. Yes, it completes 86 but it is not a heart and a card I think we need to barrel on. Again I would choose a smaller sizing and here is where it starts to get critical to do so. With the larger bets you have made you are getting yourself committed to the pot and committed to jamming the river. Most signs as of now point to we want to get all of villains chips in on the river but we should never size ourselves into having to do that. It should always be our option to put him all in and not have the math dictate it to us. When he calls our bet I am still thinking I am ahead but I am getting worried now and thinking he may have spiked some crazy two pair combo. He should not be calling these bets without a strong hand as again he should be afraid of busting.

The river is a great card for us, a blank 2 that changes nothing. As played with the bet sizes previously made on the flop and turn I think you have no choice but to put him all in and hope he has Jx that is not two pair. With smaller flop and turn bets we have could been at a 1.4 or so pot size shove bet that could give us the option of going smaller or still putting him all in if we chose. When we make this bet we kind of know that if he calls we are beat a decent amount of the time depending on SnG buy in amount. We can think about checking this river to him but I really dont like that as played as he is either shoving and we give him a chance at bluffing or he is checking behind with marginal made hands that we would have beat and now are missing value.

This hand is a bit of cooler and bad luck that AA vs JJ and the Jacks hit their set but you may have been able to save some chips with bet sizing. It would have got tough on the river as if we didnt shove and then he shoves over us we have to make that decision. However, at that point what would he be calling two streets and jam raising the river on us with knowing 3rd place is low in chips?

Sorry for the book of an explanation on this. I do think it is an interesting hand that could be taken way deeper than what I have wrote.

you are right I was in the bubble I should have taken this into account I think that if I had checked the turn maybe he would continue in slow play I would have a better margin to make a size that only calls on the river for the value of show dawn, or he would turn me allin and I would have to fold without being committed to the flop. His bubble vision was very good, I didn't take that into account at the time. With what hands would he risk ITM?

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only observation I can make about how you played this hand is the size of your bets, I think it was very small, but the rest the villain was lucky enough to make the set and that's where it ended

T

tatalarata

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The only observation I can make about how you played this hand is the size of your bets, I think it was very small, but the rest the villain was lucky enough to make the set and that's where it ended

small? I think he actually went big. Its a fairly std cooler imo. You might want to check turn/river sometimes, considering he has to have at least AJ considering circumstances. Still, betting is fine.

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
small? I think he actually went big. Its a fairly std cooler imo. You might want to check turn/river sometimes, considering he has to have at least AJ considering circumstances. Still, betting is fine.

ok I only mention my opinion about the size of the bet I with AA would have raised higher x4.5 or x5 in the pre-flop which brings as a consequence that my cbet would be higher but it is the way I would have played it I think that the result of the hand would not have changed, only that I would have increased the size of the bets