$1 NLHE STT: AJ 4 handed

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys. I just played my first sit n go STT with 9 players from my Freeroll winnings. It got down to 4 with the top 3 cashing.

I got AJ off suit on the button with about 7BB left. Small blind had about the same and big blind had about 20 BB left. I pushed all in and got called by small blind who had AK suited. I lost.

Should I have pushed all in there or folded and try to sneak into cashing. I thought I made the right call but I’m sure you all are much more experienced than me. Thanks.

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a standard shove. Not much u can do when they have better. It's good game and on to the next one!

MrSkinny

MrSkinny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Short Stacked = Fold or Shove It

Heya ~

So UTG folded..? You're first to act:

Your only real choices with 7BB and 4 handed is fold or jam. AJo? I'm all in too mate!

The only way that's not happening is if I know the other players are all very good tight players (and they have respect for my game too) - that may mean a testing raise could be worth it. But that's pure theory, in practice: all in every time.

Always easier afterwards though!

Mr S

Jblocher1

Jblocher1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Heya ~

So UTG folded..? You're first to act:

Your only real choices with 7BB and 4 handed is fold or jam. AJo? I'm all in too mate!

The only way that's not happening is if I know the other players are all very good tight players (and they have respect for my game too) - that may mean a testing raise could be worth it. But that's pure theory, in practice: all in every time.

Always easier afterwards though!

Mr S

If the players are very tight that makes it an even easier shove

MrSkinny

MrSkinny

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see your point, but not if you're SS AI and first to act - you're chucking your whole stack in without hearing their side.

Edit: it's pretty much BS tho - this situ = shove

Last edited:
J

jrx1908

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You made the right move is. How did their first gains in freerolls, I recommend to study range of hands and especially avoid playing hyper tournaments.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This seems a clear push to me, though the size of the CO's stack is also relevant; if CO is gonna be swallowed by the blinds about to hit him and/or next round I might find a fold, maybe if I've been very active the last few hands and neither SB or BB has stood up to me recently but both have done in the past. Still doubt it though. Are you familiar with ICM?
Also I'm guessing the payout was 50/30/20% and you're looking to get 1st place and take down that 50% of the prize so you don't wanna just coast into the money. In the long run, with good bubble and final-3 play, the amount of times you bust in 4th will be worth it for more first-place payouts.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
If the last player had 1-2bb, then it could be fold, otherwise it's obvious push.

Psyanide14

Psyanide14

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sorry. Meant to respond yesterday but had hit my post limit.

Thanks for replies. I thought I did the right thing. I’m sorry but what does ICM stand for?

Thanks again.

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The independent chip model. It is imperative you understand ICM if you want ongoing success in tournament poker. Fortunately there are plenty of free articles online explaining ICM.

silaskbca

silaskbca

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
nice play! Big would call you with a bigger range. being able to call losing the hand. now the small would call you with a stronger range. giving you the chance to steal more often.

E

ElegantFish

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Given that you were equally short with the other short stack, you have to make chips to be able to outlast them and have a better chance to win the tournament anyways since the 1st place payout is highest.

The shove is fine and you're unlucky to run into a better hand and then lose to that better hand.

D

da22duke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its an easy shove, just a tough break that you ran into AK

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Any one would have shoved with stack and position. You made the right play, just did not work out.

P

Peter Jankowski

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree an easy shove

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This:
If the last player had 1-2bb, then it could be fold, otherwise it's obvious push.

It's actually pretty important to know what the last player's stack size was (the one who has already folded UTG) because if he's even shorter than us we can fold almost everything. But if that's not the case it's a clear jam with this hand (and a LOT of hands). If we're the short stack we need to be more involved. If we're a middle stack, we can wait out the short stack at least to a degree.

Definitely agree you that you should do some work on understanding and practically applying ICM.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands