$1 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: What decision on the river with two pair?

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pokerstars, $0.91 + $0.09 - Hold'em No Limit - 10/20 (3 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

simona477 (UTG): 1,497 (75 bb)
AlekseyM1983 (UTG+1): 1,257 (63 bb)
Max3dy976 (MP): 1,497 (75 bb)
Maks0514 (MP+1): 1,794 (90 bb)
lipibox777 (LP): 1,497 (75 bb)
jh65 (CO): 1,497 (75 bb)
evgenbabax (BU): 1,487 (74 bb)
mixas444 (SB): 1,477 (74 bb)
jaworek1405 (BB): 1,497 (75 bb)

Pre-Flop: (57) Hero (jaworek1405) is BB with 9 T
4 players fold, lipibox777 (LP) calls 20, 2 players fold, mixas444 (SB) calls 10, jaworek1405 (BB) checks

Flop: (87) J 5 9 (3 players)
mixas444 (SB) checks, jaworek1405 (BB) checks, lipibox777 (LP) checks

Turn: (87) T (3 players)
mixas444 (SB) bets 40, jaworek1405 (BB) calls 40, lipibox777 (LP) raises to 80, mixas444 (SB) calls 40, jaworek1405 (BB) calls 40

River: (327) 4 (3 players)
mixas444 (SB) checks, jaworek1405 (BB) checks, lipibox777 (LP) bets 327, mixas444 (SB) folds, jaworek1405 (BB) folds

Total pot: 327
lipibox777 (LP) wins 327
Hi guys, it was sng 45 players. Do you call on the river pot size bet with two middle pairs? It was first level of blinds and I have no reads on this players. I'm always careful at the begining of the tournament. I think that better for me in this hand play raise turn with two middle pairs and see what this opponent will do? What do you think about call on the river his bet and what do you think about raise on the turn?

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
PREFLOP: Check is ok. Look at flop for free with marginal hand like T9s sounds good.

FLOP: You have medium pair, check is good too, what do you want to lead here? not T9s of course, but JT I would lead here.

TURN: Two pairs, pretty safe but this ten is dangerous because if sb has KQ, 87s = straight, hands like JT you block. Call is good decision for me, but what lipibox made? re-raise to 80? ridicolous, it looks very strong, he want earn as much as he can (but not this way remember) so he want to hold two opponents here, weird. But second call is of course correct.

RIVER: Is a blank, nothing to change. On the river lipibox did polarization and in my opinion he has straight (he can't have jacks because he would make raise preflop, nienes and tens are unlikely too because you block them succesfully)
I would fold here.

You have played correct every street :) good luck

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
Preflop: If villain is a very loose-passive limper, then your hand is good enough to raise here. However, since it's a beginning of a tournament and you don't have information, check is fine.

Flop: Check is standard.

Turn: SB doesn't have KQ in his range, because he would have raised it preflop. Also, SB most of the time should raise 87s as a bluff preflop. You definitely should raise here to something like 160. After LP raises with such a small sizing, it's insta call.

River: Again, LP shouldn't have KQ here. Villain also easily could bet worse two pairs here. This is a mandatory call. Fold here is a huge mistake.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont know. Limped pots are always a bit weird, because people, who limp, are not good players, so we are often kind of playing the guessing game trying to figure out, what the heck they are up to with their weird lines and bet sizing.

He is essentially saying, that he has a straight, and that is of course possible. But there were a ton of draws, that developed on the turn, every single one missed, and you are near the top of your range. So I probably sigh-call this.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With 100% probability, you can only say that at the moment you do not know anything about the villain and did not even try to clarify the situation. Fold on the river is quite logical since you were not going to fight from the very beginning. Now let's try to analyze the villains. A preflop limp may mean that their hands are not strong enough to open a raise or they prefer slowplay. Apparently you put the villains on option number two. Preflop is not bad. A promising suited tie and three free cards in front. Postflop middle pair with a weak kicker - definitely a check. After the turn, the river becomes too wide; now you have to consider not only a lot of two pairs with a jack, but also several options for the finished straight and a huge number of unfinished ones. If you did not intend to defend your middle two pairs, you should not have called opponents one by one, since in both cases the pot odds are much lower than the odds against completing a full house. I regard the overbet on the river as a weakness on the part of the villain, otherwise having a straight street, he would simply give you the opportunity to lose a few more chips. Conclusion: you did not win or lose 327 chips, but threw 80 chips into the wind without receiving any information about the villain. Over a long distance, such tactics will be unprofitable.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
high % of players will limp some hand early in tournament, don't means they are bad players, just saying
CC members already post their opinion, soo you can think what you can improve next time, but in my opinion you can normaly just call with this 9T, is better than think all day about what he had, and you can have some data from him (he probably had JT or 55) two pair is good enough to pay

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
high % of players will limp some hand early in tournament, don't means they are bad players, just saying
CC members already post their opinion, soo you can think what you can improve next time, but in my opinion you can normaly just call with this 9T, is better than think all day about what he had, and you can have some data from him (he probably had JT or 55) two pair is good enough to pay

Limp strategies kick in at 30bb stacks or less. If someone is limping with 70bb, that player is a fish.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop I like just fine - remember typically when people are limping (at least in the micros) they are weak.

Flop check with 2nd pair is good - if our opponent had a J here I would expect him to bet vs two opponents. That being said the turn is a good card for us, and the SB leads - I like the flat, our hand is strong but not the nuts so no need to be raising right now - then the limper click raises two opponents....that's weird. Generally that's either super strength or a marginal hand (A10, QT, etc).

All of this being said I like the check-call here on the river. Our opponent could have raised and missed a flush/straight draw combo, they could be turning single pair hands into bluffs. Look closely at this. We are losing to KQ which is entirely possible for them to have - we lose to sets which I wouldve expected a preflop raise from 99 or TT and such - we already theorized our opponent shouldn't have the Jack otherwise they would have bet it on the flop so JT and J9 should be out of their range - just makes it hard for us to be beat here...

We lose to KQ, 78 and some weirdly played sets - we are still early in the tournament and have 45 - 50bb if we lose the hand - for all of these reasons I think we should be calling here alot. We only have to be good here 1/3 of the time for it to be a profitable call and I think we are.

Hope this helps!