$1 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: Two pair on the flop, opponent caught set on the turn, how do you play two pair OOP?

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two pair on the flop, opponent caught set on the turn, how do you play two pair OOP?

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/224w2cfQv

Hello guys, it was sng 45 players. I hit two pair on the flop, I expected some bets from opponents and I decided slow play two pair on the the flop. I wanted play check/raise on the flop, but opponents played check on the flop. So on the turn, I mandatory have to play bet, but my opponent decided played raise and I decided play a little carefully two pair on the turn. The river I decided check and see what opponent will do. He played small bet on the river and I read his bet as a weakness and decided played check/raise on the river. I had bad read this time. What is the best line in this situation with two pair on the flop, on the turn and on the river?

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not raise the river, when so many better hands are now possible. Its just simply to thin. Other than that it was well played.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the flop you can play donk or check-call or check-raise. All of this options will be ok. After his raise on the turn his range will consists of 2-pairs+ and flush-draw. On the river flush-draw was closed. So if you raise him, no hand worst will pay to you.

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with what others have said here about the raise on the river. The flush came in which is a decent spot for him to bluff if he does have anything strong. If that is the case, though, he is not calling your raise. I don't think there is anything to nit pick at or feel bad about this hand other than the river raise. Any time you flop two pair and your opponent makes a set on the turn you are going to lose chips minus a miracle river.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Turn bet is way too small imo. Not too sure how this works multiway, but were it a HU pot I'd like an overbet. 3 way we may want to make that a bit smaller, but half pot OOP after flop gets checked through is way too tiny.

But as played probably check call the river. Most of his semi-bluffs come in on the river, and we're not going to get called by many worse hands.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Call preflop is standard - I would look to check/call flop and pot control. The board is very wet and connected so there are ALOT of turn cards that will freeze us up or make it hard for us to continue so I tend to just play this flop pretty passively and just get to a turn card.

We do, and the turn is relatively insignificant. With a bet here and we get raised, I would likely just call because there is still a possibility out opponent has the straight or some weirdly slow played set they now want value from so I dont think we need to re raise turn, we just call.

The river is bad, not too worried about the backdoor flush but now KJ gets there, J9 was already there, the Ace comes in bringing on board possible two pair combos like AQ and AT even though we block those heavily. It's just not the best card to see after we get raised on the turn. We check, villan bets and I think we can certainly call here BUT, we do NOT want to be raising this spot! Why? Because we are generally only getting called by better hands. Sure sometimes we get a call from KQ or from AK or AJ that rivered a pair, but I think we run into better 2 prs and straights alot on this board. The fact that he turned the set is unfortunate but I would almost imagine had he flopped bottom or middle set he would've gotten trappy with that as well - just seems to be the norm in a multi way pot in these player pools.

In conclusion I think you played the hand fine until the river - no need for us to raise in a spot where we are highly likely to only get called by better hands. Good luck in your games!

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
We do, and the turn is relatively insignificant. With a bet here and we get raised, I would likely just call because there is still a possibility out opponent has the straight or some weirdly slow played set they now want value from so I dont think we need to re raise turn, we just call.

This is exactly the point. Raising the turn after checking the flop as the preflop aggressor is a very polarising line. He is not doing this with top pair or an overpair, he either has at least a set for value, or he is bluffing with one of the million different draws, that are available.

On the river some of those draws got there, but its also possible, he could be betting for thin value with AK or AJ, which rivered top pair, and this is why, we have to call a small bet. If he had bombed the river, this would be a fairly trivial fold, and as you say, its never a raise.

vskots150

vskots150

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the check on the flop was a mistake. Given the blinds, we have 2 pairs. It is necessary to bet at least 3 \ 4 banks in order to get information about opponents and prevent them from strengthening their hand for free. A free check hit us very painfully. Although this could have been avoided by taking away dead money

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/224w2cfQv

Hello guys, it was sng 45 players. I hit two pair on the flop, I expected some bets from opponents and I decided slow play two pair on the the flop. I wanted play check/raise on the flop, but opponents played check on the flop. So on the turn, I mandatory have to play bet, but my opponent decided played raise and I decided play a little carefully two pair on the turn. The river I decided check and see what opponent will do. He played small bet on the river and I read his bet as a weakness and decided played check/raise on the river. I had bad read this time. What is the best line in this situation with two pair on the flop, on the turn and on the river?

Thank U 4 Posting.

On the flop you have a very dynamic board therefore it is more likely that it will be checked through. Leading is a good strategy here.

On the turn you lead and get raised.
Why would preflop raiser check AA AhKh AQ KK on that dynamic a flop?
This is not a head up pot that is a factor as well.
Why then would V raise AA KK AQ on this turn?
If you thought V would raise those hands on the turn why are you not 3 betting the turn?

What bluffs bet that size on the river?
What worse value bets are there on that river for that size?
The nuts is KJ. Would KJ play this way?
What does AK get value from on that river?
How does AK ever play this way?
How does AJ ever play this way?
We lose to A10 it may play this way. So might AQ.

What is the level of skill in your player pool?
Do any of them ever bluff turn small bet bluff river?
Do any of your villains not bet AX flush draws on the flop?
Then semibluff turn -small bet one pair river- when the straight gets there?

The above are data points that we reflect on now so that we can think about them on that river.

Hope this helps
:):)