$1 NLHE MTT Deep Stacked: KK 5 way facing pot sized donk bet

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Daily dollar on tilt. 3rd hand at a new table. Shove over the donk bet with 2 left to act?

Full Tilt - |120/240 NL - Holdem - 9 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

UTG: 32.63 BB (VPIP: 10.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 10)
Hero (UTG+1): 37.35 BB
MP: 56.48 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
MP+1: 101.36 BB (VPIP: 100.00, PFR: 100.00, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 1)
MP+2: 29.73 BB (VPIP: 16.67, PFR: 22.22, 3Bet Preflop: -, Hands: 12)
CO: 20.79 BB (VPIP: 0.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 1)
BTN: 137.54 BB (VPIP: 33.33, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 3)
SB: 53.88 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 2)
BB: 44.53 BB (VPIP: 38.33, PFR: 10.17, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 60)

9 players post ante of 0.1 BB, SB posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 2.44 BB) Hero has K:club: K:diamond:

fold, Hero raises to 2.08 BB, MP calls 2.08 BB, fold, fold, fold, BTN calls 2.08 BB, SB calls 1.58 BB, BB calls 1.08 BB

Flop: (11.35 BB, 5 players) Q:club: 7:diamond: 9:club:
SB bets 11.35 BB, fold, Hero???

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fwiw I shoved because lol it's a $1 donkament, but it felt pretty thin even as I did it

B

baxre

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think shove is good game here. You have overpair and runner runner flush draw.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tough spot, I'd say your ahead of the donk bettor but it's the 2 left to act after you that would concern me, quite likely you could have been re shoving into a flopped set.

I'd be more inclined to flat flop to see what the 2 after you do, if they raise it up + get called I'd probably let it go, if they fold I'd probably get it all in on most turns vs the donk bettor. Their pot bet just seems like a Qx hand scared of all the draws

O

omote23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Considering this is $1 tournament. I think shoving is fine on here.

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It sucked because of the awkward stack sizes, I didn't like folding or flatting and didn't like a raise size less than AI at this stack depth. Shoving felt like making the best of it given that I'm still ahead here a fair % of the time

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise more PF to get them to fold! You dont want 5 players with you when you have KK!

Seriously, though, I think the jam is fine. SB is easily donk betting with a lot of QX, maybe AQ hands as well as a lot of flush and straight draw hands including AxXc, 10J/810. It's possible even hands like A9. I don't see them making pot sized donk bets with 77/99 and QQ is almost never here. Not saying 77/99 isn't possible, but you're more likely to see trap plays with sets in the micros. At least from my experience. At worst, you're behind a hand like Q9 or Q7.

As for the 2 behind, 99 and 77 are in their range, as are a lot of other mid pairs suited connectors, and broadway hands. Again, I doubt you'll see QQ. So, if you get coolered by either of them holding 77/99, so be it, but most of the time, they've completely missed and are likely folding or calling light with a QX hand or some type of draw.

So, I think it's very likely you're ahead at this point, even if just slightly and hopefully one of them call with TP or some type of draw.

Last edited:
Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise more PF to get them to fold! You dont want 5 players with you when you have KK!
blinds 240, I raised to 500 and it felt light as soon as I did it, my std raise there is about 530 and admittedly I wasn't concentrating too much when I raised pre, several tables open plus I was probably on reddit too (bad habit I know)

...but you're more likely to see trap plays with sets in the micros.
Yep. Not sure if I've ever seen someone donk for pot with a set tbh

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
blinds 240, I raised to 500 and it felt light as soon as I did it, my std raise there is about 530 and admittedly I wasn't concentrating too much when I raised pre, several tables open plus I was probably on reddit too (bad habit I know)
...lol. I wasn't serious about the raise more to make others. I think raising to 500 UTG is fine, though since it was a new table, you may have gotten away with raising more. Getting 5 callers isn't that bad, just unlucky no one had anything PF worth 3betting.

Also, reddit is nothing. I play MTTs and COD at the same time. Or I'll watch movies while playing. Yesterday, I made dinner for my GF, herself, and I [fried catfish and baked potato wedges] and still managed to bubble the FT/600 players. So, these small "distractions" are nothing.
Yep. Not sure if I've ever seen someone donk for pot with a set tbh
It's funny, because I often donk bet/donk bet shove with sets on semi-wet/wet boards a lot because I know I'm get called a lot of weaker TP hands or draw hands and I get paid off a lot when I do.

However, I don't see others do the same. Then again, I don't see a lot of players opening with a 25BBs overbet jam with AKs or 1010+ in the micros either...

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Forgive my ignorance, but isn't a standard raise more in the 640-720 area?

Also, donks don't tend to have the nuts when they donk on the turn. More often it's just a decent hand that wants to know where it's at, so they're often even bet/folding.

I tend to raise to about triple of what they bet with, so a shove is fine. If someone behind you has 77/99, then that's unfortunate. That's also why you want to raise a little bigger preflop, though. Less people in the pot.

I could see the SB do this with the nut flush draw AXc. Possibly with backdoor straight draws as well (A8c, ATc), or bottom pair (A7c).

T

touchmytallalla

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if player is solid icmizer gives 33% against his bet range