Checks through to turn

Turn = 10h

SB bets 9.6bb into 14.35bb pot

I call, CO & BTN fold

River = 7d

SB goes all in (37.65bb)

I call

They show 5h 6h & win with 3 of a kind 6

Because he bet on the turn, when i hit my pair, I assumed he was bluffing. Thought that he put me on 2 picture cards.

How could i have got away from this, was there any sign that he was blatantly not bluffing

Context: It was the only the 3rd hand so not observed his play that much, however he did lose 1/3rd of his stack on the hand before.

Any insights appreciated

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Top pair on paired board it is a 2 pairs xDDD
It is very bad call. River comes very bad for him and he goes all-in... so you will never see the bluff on this runout and this size.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, 180 man SnG, full ring

2nd or 3rd hand blinds 10/20

me in UTG+1 (1500)
opp in SB (1000)

My hand: AT clubs

PreFlop:

Folds to me, I raise 3bb - CO, BTN & SB calls

Flop = 6s 9c 6d

Checks through to turn (where is your C-bet?)

Turn = 10h

I call, CO & BTN fold

River = 7d

SB goes all in (37.65bb)

I call

Because he bet on the turn, when i hit my pair, I assumed he was bluffing. Thought that he put me on 2 picture cards.

How could i have got away from this, was there any sign that he was blatantly not bluffing

Context: It was the only the 3rd hand so not observed his play that much, however he did lose 1/3rd of his stack on the hand before.

Any insights appreciated
Aside from my question in red, the only advice I can give you is never underestimate your opponents.

R

RoyalMonk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Cheers for the advice, think I checked to try hit an ace or 10. Probably should of bet, then if I got raised or called would of been more clear that I was beat

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Over time you're going to see this situation come up repeatedly - this exact betting strategy by the villain, who does not want to scare off weaker hands on the flop and then who represents a bluff or a weak pair on the turn.

lackerboy

lackerboy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, there are a lot of combinations that beat you. I think you can sholdice and wait for a more suitable hands to be placed on all the chips

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's a shame that SB got paid off with how dreadfully they played their hand. This definitely looks like the classic donkey "well gee I missed my draw and don't know what to do, let's just jam all in and hope for the best"...play. I think if I'm in your shoes, I probably act exactly the same except I fold the river. As much as it looks like a missed draw candidate, the only draw that doesn't get home is QJ. I could definitely see a boat playing this way and hoping to maximize if you had 98 or 87 suited. I would think 6x or straights would bet maybe 15-20 BB. That amount is more likely to get calls they want from 10x or overpairs. This type of hand is exactly why I find microstakes to be so difficult though. You run into plays like this one by SB that make absolutely no sense, but the illogical play and large bet sizing can put you in a difficult spot like this one.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
87 makes a straight

me in UTG+1 (1500)
opp in SB (1000)

PreFlop:

Flop = 6s 9c 6d

Checks through to turn

Turn = 10h

I call, CO & BTN fold

River = 7d

SB goes all in (37.65bb)

I call

Any insights appreciated

Thanks for sharing.

We can fold to bluffs good players do that all the time

Turn 69610 His 87 made a straight. Called a raise with 56 why not 87. How would he play 99?
I recommend you study range analysis a little more.

For effective range analysis you have to learn to think about what your opponent is thinking, correctly. We cannot just think he is bluffing. Learn to weigh the two possible reasons for his betting
Value-Bluff is it 50/50 60/40 70/30 or 30/70

You have no direct data on this opponent but players in a pool often use similar strategies.
Other posters made good points I gave them a like. Check out those posts as well.

:)

R

RoyalMonk

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As much as it looks like a missed draw candidate, the only draw that doesn't get home is QJ. I could definitely see a boat playing this way and hoping to maximize if you had 98 or 87 suited.

Definitely didn't think enough about what specific hands he could be playing. looked like a bluff so I called. Will do this from now

Turn 69610 His 87 made a straight. Called a raise with 56 why not 87. How would he play 99?

For effective range analysis you have to learn to think about what your opponent is thinking, correctly. We cannot just think he is bluffing. Learn to weigh the two possible reasons for his betting
Value-Bluff is it 50/50 60/40 70/30 or 30/70

:)

Definitely need to develop my thought process before making decisions

And not let my pride get in the way of folding

Thanks for the replies

K

kkonicke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Definitely didn't think enough about what specific hands he could be playing. looked like a bluff so I called. Will do this from now

I play mostly microstakes as well. While I find it makes sense to me to try and solve the puzzle and figure out what hands make sense and what hands don't, in the microstakes you run into super weird plays sometimes. Every so often, that guy is going to have A3...or some other form of complete air. I can certainly understand the thought process of it looking like a bluff...heck that was my first and second instinct also, and your hand is actually an excellent bluffcatcher in this case. As another poster noted, sometimes a cautious approach is best and to let yourself get bluffed...and pick a better spot.

B

blackburn44

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hi:)

we don't know which type of player he is but if he is an avarage or good player, you should fold. Because there is a coordinated board and he knows that he cant bluff you with 7 on the river. He smartly polarized his range with that betsizing. I think fold on the river is ok.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Micro Stakes Range reading

me in UTG+1 (1500)
opp in SB (1000)

PreFlop:

Flop = 6s 9c 6d

Checks through to turn

Turn = 10h

I call, CO & BTN fold

River = 7d

SB goes all in (37.65bb)

I call

Any insights appreciated

Thanks for posting.

Your range for this player is way too narrow on the turn. I have the ten so it must be a bluff.
Why not 56? Why not 99, 77 78 straight on turn? 76? 86?

Bet sizing is also a tell here. The turn bet is almost a perfect size for a value bet from a $1 sng player who is bluffing? Followed up with an "aha you have aces" shove for value on the river as a bluff? Look at the board it is four to a straight. Shove bluff on that board in a $1 sng?

Is there any way for you to know how the villain lost 1/3 of his stack before you play this hand? If so you should know it?

Hope this helps.

:):):)

S

skeptix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fine to call on the turn but the river is a very bad card for you and I think you need to fold.

zekubiki

zekubiki

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you should just fold on the turn. that's all.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, AT is not enough to openraise from the position of UTG-1. Your passivity after a double flop allowed the villain to build a trap. A check on the flop and an unexpectedly significant, but insufficient for a bluff, raise on the turn, indicates that the villain has something. After 7 on the river, the villain made a mistake when he went all-in ignoring the possibility of a straight. This mistake doubled his stack. Maybe he read a couple of TT and fish as an opponent.
P.S. The less trash hands the less unpleasant situations.

D

Darth_Moola

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

me in UTG+1 (1500)
opp in SB (1000)

PreFlop:

Flop = 6s 9c 6d

Checks through to turn

Turn = 10h

I call, CO & BTN fold

River = 7d

SB goes all in (37.65bb)

I call

Any insights appreciated

The river is definitely the spot we're looking at to get away. I can get carried away with trying to call bluffs, so I've been hurt like this before. When you review the board you see that all someone needs for a straight is the 8. They could theoretically bluff, but how many hands are they going to do that with? How many hands are they going to have the straight, or trips, or a full house, when you only have 2 pair? These are the questions that need to be thought about. Preflop they're calling with a lot of middle connecting cards (as well as other types of hands), which makes the possibility of them having a better hand than you very plausible. They over bet so it is either a bluff or a great hand. But we already know them having a great hand is a distinct possibility.