MP (t3,070)
Hero (BTN) (t3,395)
SB (t1,005)
BB (t5,170)
SB posts the small blind of t50
BB posts the big blind of t100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Hero [Ks][As]
UTG folds, MP folds, Hero raises to t250, SB folds, BB raises to t1,300, Hero folds

ICM is obviously a serious concern here as there are two very short stacks and 3 spots pay. The trouble here is that BB can shove with ATC if he's a competent player knowing that we basically can't call without AA. For that reason I thought about just open folding to avoid this situation, but I didn't think BB was a particularly strong player so I decided to open. Thoughts on this spot?

PCK

PCK

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I shove here...AKs in 5 handed is gold ,you play for 1st place,not for itm

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You thought about open folding? Dont ever open fold ak in a stt

I dont see many players 3bet 5x with aa or kk, so youre good to shove imo

horizon12

horizon12

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easy call, if you lose you have still around 20bb, this is the main argument to call with our top range...

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
easy call, if you lose you have still around 20bb, this is the main argument to call with our top range...

he actually didn't 3bet all in, he has us covered with 5k chips if i'm reading it correctly.

This is actually alot closer than people think. i wouldn't hate either a 4bet shove or fold depending heavily on the table dynamics thus far. Fwiw, i would almost always default to a fold here, mainly because i would think i have a considerably edge in taking down lots of smaller pots without showdown, so i wouldn't need to risk it all here in this big pot as i already have a sizeable stack and ICM always hates it when we are vs the biggest stack at the table as our equity in no way doubles here when we double.

So without info there's no right or wrong answer here without more info but in general...

if you have been running the table over easily and the table is very soft then you should look to make hero folds in big all in pots like this.
if you have been struggling, and the table is quite tough then it's probably a good idea to 4bet jam it in right now and look to have a massive stack ready to dominate the bubble.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ill go for chip lead here or bust.

Easy shove for me.

By his action, he shows strength. But who knows, we might even be leading here,

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
he actually didn't 3bet all in, he has us covered with 5k chips if i'm reading it correctly.

This is actually alot closer than people think. i wouldn't hate either a 4bet shove or fold depending heavily on the table dynamics thus far. Fwiw, i would almost always default to a fold here, mainly because i would think i have a considerably edge in taking down lots of smaller pots without showdown, so i wouldn't need to risk it all here in this big pot as i already have a sizeable stack and ICM always hates it when we are vs the biggest stack at the table as our equity in no way doubles here when we double.

So without info there's no right or wrong answer here without more info but in general...

if you have been running the table over easily and the table is very soft then you should look to make hero folds in big all in pots like this.
if you have been struggling, and the table is quite tough then it's probably a good idea to 4bet jam it in right now and look to have a massive stack ready to dominate the bubble.
Good point - if you're merrily chipping up without showdown then you already have a path to itm :icon_thum

pierreotoni

pierreotoni

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I shove here...AKs in 5 handed is gold ,you play for 1st place,not for itm

P

ProntoGM

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not see fold, easy call here.. In this spot does not need to swap, you can play carefully and will see the flop. AK suited is a hand of the second category, he can reraised us with A+QJT or pocket pair 88, 99, TT.

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depend on villain stats,if a lag you should shove.