$1.50 NLHE STT Turbo: Shoved on flop with top pair, Ace kicker. Was it a good move?

Pokergambler11

Pokergambler11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$1.50 NLHE STT Turbo: Shoved on flop with top pair, Ace kicker. Was it a good move?

Personally, I feel like it was a crappy move but I was desperate. I stole a few blinds and made my way to 2366 chips. This guy was tight-ish and I did get this feeling that he had something better. If you were in this situation would you have done the same?

Seat 1: JDAmotoX (2366 in chips)
Seat 3: bakkisr (3597 in chips)
Seat 5: artem_vk_86 (3037 in chips)
JDAmotoX: posts the ante 20
bakkisr: posts the ante 20
artem_vk_86: posts the ante 20
JDAmotoX: posts small blind 80
bakkisr: posts big blind 160
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to JDAmotoX [Ah Js]
artem_vk_86: raises 320 to 480
JDAmotoX: calls 400
bakkisr: folds
*** FLOP *** [9s 9h Jc]
JDAmotoX: bets 1866 and is all-in
artem_vk_86: calls 1866
*** TURN *** [9s 9h Jc] [Ts]
*** RIVER *** [9s 9h Jc Ts] [6c]
*** SHOW DOWN ***
JDAmotoX: shows [Ah Js] (two pair, Jacks and Nines)
artem_vk_86: shows [Kh Kd] (two pair, Kings and Nines)
artem_vk_86 collected 4912 from pot
JDAmotoX finished the tournament in 3rd place
*** SUMMARY ***
Total pot 4912 | Rake 0
Board [9s 9h Jc Ts 6c]
Seat 1: JDAmotoX (small blind) showed [Ah Js] and lost with two pair, Jacks and Nines
Seat 3: bakkisr (big blind) folded before Flop
Seat 5: artem_vk_86 (button) showed [Kh Kd] and won (4912) with two pair, Kings and Nines

teepack

teepack

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Kinda hard to argue with it. If you check and he shoves, what do you do? Doubtful he would have called your preflop raise with A-9 or K-9, so you could probably eliminate him having a third nine. So then the only question would be does he have AA, KK or QQ? You would think given the stage of the tourney that he would have shoved preflop if he had either of those monsters, so I think your play was fairly safe. Hindsight is always 20/20, so don't beat yourself up too badly about it.

TimovieMan

TimovieMan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
An overbet like that looks really bluffy, so I don't think he ever folds anything that can beat TPTK.

You can put him to a decision with a check/shove, though, but even then I don't think he'll ever fold a better hand.
If you think his hand might be better, why not check/call down. You're getting it in too that way (unless he checks a street through, in that case you can bet out), but his range will be weaker and that improves your odds.

PokerFunKid

PokerFunKid

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No, it wasn't a good move.
You're either far behind, or far ahead unless maybe he has a hand like KQ. Let him c-bet, from there you can check shove but i like check calling. With the stacksize i don't think you can get away, but shoving the flop will never make you the most money in the long run. He will either fold his missed hands, or call with better. There are barely worse hands that will call you if you make this overbet leadshove and there is no way he will fold a better hand. He will often c-bet this, even if he doesn't he will most like have a hand like TT/AK/AQ which you have crushed.

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
either 3bet jam or let this one go preflop, we can't be throwing 300ish chips in the middle with no real gameplan postflop.

As played c/jam seems best we're usually ahead and we want to capture as many chips as possible now since we've hit basically the best hand possible.

But yeah, overall 3bet jamming or folding here are both totally fine options, calling is the middle ground option here we want to completely avoid because it just costs us too many chips from our stack to fool around. So if he's loose enough, jam, if he's tight or that raise size is particularly strong then make a good laydown and move on, you've got a lot more time in the tournament before things get desperate so let the others make the mistakes for you and you will profit from just being patient and waiting for your shot.