$1.50 NLHE STT: Not sure if I played this correctly, what do you think?

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fairly early in the tournament but villain seems to be a solid, tight player so far. Looking back at the way the hand played out I think there are three or four hands in his range that beat me - AA, AQ, QQ and perhaps A2. I see four hands I'm beating - KK (though I doubt he has that when he shoves), AJ, A10 and possibly KQ. He could definitely have AK. Equilab puts me at a nearly 2-1 favourite with this range but I wonder if it's too wide, if I could narrow it to AA, AK, AQ, QQ? Which makes me about a 2-1 underdog.
Just having looked into the numbers for the purpose of this post I'm happier about how I played it. So what do you think? Considering it's fairly early in the tournament so I don't think I can put too much credence in my read on villain.

pokerstars, $1.29 + $0.21 - Hold'em No Limit - 15/30 (4 ante) - 6 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

Eluard61 (UTG): 4,838 (161 bb)
amigo878 (MP): 1,324 (44 bb)
99sammy99 (CO): 1,314 (44 bb)
ls_jcolby (BU): 2,697 (90 bb)
luisboac (SB): 2,617 (87 bb)
MC_Shamik (BB): 710 (24 bb)

Pre-Flop: (69) Hero (luisboac) is SB with A K
Eluard61 (UTG) calls 30, 2 players fold, ls_jcolby (BU) raises to 60, luisboac (SB) 3-bets to 210, 1 fold, Eluard61 (UTG) calls 180, ls_jcolby (BU) calls 150

Flop: (684) Q 2 A (3 players)
luisboac (SB) bets 495, Eluard61 (UTG) folds, ls_jcolby (BU) raises to 990, luisboac (SB) raises to 2,403 (all-in), ls_jcolby (BU) calls 1,413

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Fairly early in the tournament but villain seems to be a solid, tight player so far.
a flop raise from tight player when we already bet 3/4 pot means two pair at least or a sets to me & its very early in the game to raise that big.
i doubt he will raise AX w/ worse kicker & from the min raise pre it could be suited A2 or 22 (AQ & QQ might raise bigger, but its early so we cant really put a label on them yet).
but yeah folding top pair w/ best kicker can be really hard for me too

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see you need to re-raise on the flop as there is almost no draw and you force villain to fold (if any) bluff.

Very ugly spot but if villain is tight I would let it go on the flop or if facing tricky player i would call and re-evaluate

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm with Kozong here. There's just no reason to bet huge on this flop. It's a 3bet pot and a board that strongly favors our range. Bet 35-50%.

Facing this raise SUCKS. It's basically NEVER KK. I don't see why it would ever be AJ. Yes this is a tiny tourney but people don't to overplay hands as excessively in 3bet pots, particularly after you bet really big. KQ would be a super weird raise for him, as he has showdown value vs random bluffs from you. I don't think people are turning KQ into a bluff on the flop here often if ever.

I hate it but I'm probably just folding to his raise. But yeah bet WAY smaller on the flop and we can consider doing something else vs a raise.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont mind the sizing here exploitatively, but scrounge is right in that we technically should go smaller.

I jam vs this raise vs most micro stakes players and expect to see A9+.