$1.50 NLHE STT: Just how well/badly did I play this?

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
79th hand of the SNG. Villain has been undeniably tight so far.
I would like to hear anything anyone would have done differently and what range you put villain on through the hand (especially on the river).

pokerstars, $1.29 + $0.21 - Hold'em No Limit - 25/50 (6 ante) - 5 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: 2,489 (50 bb)
CO: 2,382 (48 bb)
BU: 3,170 (63 bb)
SB (Hero): 3,537 (71 bb)
BB: 1,922 (38 bb)

Pre-Flop: (105) Hero is SB with Q K
2 players fold, BTN raises to 125, Hero 3-bets to 400, 1 fold, BTN calls 275

Flop: (880) 6 K 9 (2 players)
Hero bets 450, BTN calls 450

Turn: (1,780) 2 (2 players)
Hero bets 550, BTN raises to 1,750, Hero raises to 2,681 (all-in), BTN calls 564 (all-in)

P

Pablo22

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I would guess that he has a set of nines. If he was undeniably tight, I don't think he was raising you on the turn with anything worse than KQ. At that point you are probably committed so it would be tough to make a hero fold.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If he is def not a LAG player...he's got you stone cold on the flop...he doesnt call you on the river with a worse hand most of the time - if EVER....If you arnt up against AK you are up against a set

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you will played bet-fold turn, - i will sayed "perfect play".
But you push with Kheart.... If opponent is very bad, it is maybe push with 50 equity average. Vs good opponent it will be push with 0-15% equity XD

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't 3 bet or call 3 bets with secondary hands like KQo though KQo should be good most of the time pre-flop generally speaking. Looks like K9-KJ hearts. The deuce of hearts did not change much. I thought maybe aces but why not 4 bet jam you pre with aces. Either way the deuce statistically did not make his hand...so he could have a set as the turn raise is the most dangerous in the game as player wait to invest you in. I would not 3 bet that hand but as played i'd call it off expecting to see KJ/AK 35% /65% of the time. Why did you 3 bet this hand?

W

whosdaboss25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he had the 999 and had you drawing dead and probably was laughing all the way to the bank. Those are my thoughts. I know it's hard to believe and you'd say only on this site but I think that's what he had 999 and had you dead to rights . I would of waited for you to bet and check rasied you actually if I was him just to make sure you were pot committed.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you should be cbetting much smaller on this flop. It's crazy dry and disconnected and if you have bluffs here they will prefer to get away with much cheaper.

Also as others have alluded to, I don't think I'm pumped when he calls this sizing. As played on turn I'm usually checking since it's almost impossible that we stack QQ-TT imo. So I'd rather check and let those hands breathe easy for a street and try to get a little more value on the river.

Again as played I'm super unhappy to see a raise. I'm not sure if I get away in-game but when I see a "tight" player do this, I assume he has AK at worst, and a set fairly often.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well he was playing tight and he had position against you, but ok you had a strong hand against this. The flop comes and it looks good for you, know it just comes to betting and getting information about his ranges of hands, so it comes the flop i think he just called there to trap you on the turn, the turn becomes strange because he made an aggressive raise (set of 2 ? Not likely, he had position, but still he's crazy if he paid the bet you made on the flop to persuade this set ). In my opinion, he was fearing you had a Draw and made a protective raise (with his set of sixes or nines), i can't blame you but still i would play slowly and betting smaller (50% total of the pot) against this kind of player (unless you had the nuts), and i think you should just called, if it comes the third heart you could bluff them.

O

oreleo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Villain has been undeniably tight so far. Simple fold. What are you expecting to see here ? There's no bluff definitely. His rang i see so AA KK AK 99 66 QK

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi everyone. Thanks very much for all of your replies, I thought I'd tell you a little more about the hand (didn't want to influence anyone's judgement in the original post).
I was very annoyed with myself in the immediate aftermath of this hand, having lost a huge pot when villain showed AKo.
When trying to put villain on a range after his turn re-raise I was struggling to come up with anything other than AK. Somehow I totally overlooked the sets of sixes or nines, which I agree were a definite possibility. I really didn't believe he had AA/KK as I thought he would have 4-bet me all-in pre-flop. So why did I shove when I thought I was losing to AK? I convinced myself I can't narrow his range to just AK and that there could be some semi-bluffs in his range that he would fold. I now think there was no way this tight villain was bluffing here, I was just looking for an excuse to lose loads of chip for some reason.
So I definitely went wrong on the turn, but post-game I wan't sure how I felt about the rest of the hand so brought it up here.
Someone asked why I 3-bet this pre-flop - good question! I don't rate KQo highly enough to 3-bet it in many spots, but here I thought there was a chance villain was trying to steal the blinds with a worse holding than mine (yes for some reason I was ignoring his HUD stats and my read on him) and I had folded several of my blinds recently and thought this a good spot to defend one - to send a message to the table. With hindsight I don't like my 3-bet because villain's play so far coupled with the fact we were still only at 25/50 should have told me this wasn't a wide-range steal. I also realise that defending my blinds to send a message at this blind level was unnecessary.
I don't mind my c-bet on the flop, that's about it!

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I will 3bet here from the SB quite frequently and at these stack depths I will choose a larger sizing....something like 4.0 to 4.5x his raise. so I might make it 500-575 preflop. I would cbet smallish on this flop trying to get called by pocket pairs TT-QQ and worse Kx so I might cbet to about 30% pot (275). I would probably check call turn and reevaluate river. if turn goes check check then I would lead smallish on river to get called by worse Kx. there is almost no way that worse Kx can handle 3 streets of pressure so if you get to the river having bet twice, you are probably behind.

HOWEVER, if he is as tight as you say then this might actually be an OK hand to flat preflop from the SB. in that case I'd check call flop, check call turn and then re-evaluate on river based on sizings and villain tendencies....but I might actually fold to a raise bet bet bet line from a tight player in this spot. even so, this hand would likely cost you a total of 575 if you fold river (the same amount I would have preflop raised) or it will cost you about 1,100 if you call all 3 streets and are behind.

agian...my standard line would be the preflop 3bet....but a low variance flat isn't so bad vs very tight ranges.