$1.50 NLHE STT: Confused by villain's actions here

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villain seems reasonably tight. I have only 61 hands of data on him but I would say in this game he's playing a little looser than I would at this early stage. After his min-raise I put him on maybe 55-QQ (KK&AA might raise more), KT+, QJ+.
His check-raise on the flop confuses me. Does he think I'm bluffing? Is he bluffing with A-x and/or flush draw? Is it KT+? Or 55?
Then villain leads out the turn?! Does he have an A, a K better than mine? 55 is still possible, I don't think he's bluffing with 66-QQ here.
I ended up giving up but definitely wanting to look at the hand with more time. I know I need to improve my in-game range-reading as my thought process can be a bit all over the place at the moment.
What do you think? How would you have played it?

pokerstars, $1.29 + $0.21 - Hold'em No Limit - 15/30 (4 ante) - 8 players
Replay this hand on Upswing Poker

UTG: 1,544 (51 bb)
UTG+1: 1,513 (50 bb)
MP: 1,767 (59 bb)
MP+1: 1,311 (44 bb)
CO: 1,561 (52 bb)
BU (Hero): 1,715 (57 bb)
SB: 2,629 (88 bb)
BB: 1,460 (49 bb)

Pre-Flop: (77) Hero is BTN with K J
3 players fold, MP+1 raises to 60, 1 fold, Hero calls 60, 2 players fold

Flop: (197) 3 K 5 (2 players)
MP+1 checks, Hero bets 105, MP+1 raises to 210, Hero calls 105

Turn: (617) A (2 players)
MP+1 bets 150, BU (Hero) folds

greatgame230

greatgame230

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I think he played the hand quite well, especially the check raise, first his raise x2 tells you he has a premium hand (AK at least) then does the check -raise everything indicates that he feels completely safe, as you describe that he is a very tigh player I rule out the possibility of raise x2 with 55 so I think he had AK and your very good fold on the turn, so in conclusion I think both played well and you taking into account the information you handled the opponent good fold .

Greetings

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The check raise is interesting. I have trouble in this same spot often. Why would the opponent go for the check-raise with anything here? It's two handed and there is a flush draw on the board. Out of position, to check to you seems very dangerous to most holdings. In the 61 hands, were you quite aggressive? Otherwise your opponent has a massive hand, right?

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
nut heavy line at micro stakes game - either AA or KK
I would fold KJo preflop to tight MP+1 open

MatMackenz

MatMackenz

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Consider checking back on the flop. TPGK is a good candidate to be in your checking range if you want to remain balanced. Pot control should be exercised, because your hand is not suited to play a big pot.

You have 72% equity on this flop, against the range you listed. You should not just fold so easily to the ace scare card, especailly with draws available.. this makes you very exploitable, although folding is not terrible since your equity against his range has dropped to 45%, but we are getting a good price for a call according to pot odds (Call 150 to win 760). If you called the flop bet, you should of planned to call another bet on the turn.

I would have checked back flop, then called the bet on the turn.

How I would proceed from there will depend on the river card. As long as the spade draw does not come in, I would highly consider calling on the river as well, depending on the pot odds.

You want to plan your hands out as early as possible. When I see the flop, I will assess my hand strength on the board, compared to villains perceived range. (Start practicing with Equilab's "equity trainer" and you will quickly be able to estimate your equity against a range on the fly)

I would plan this hand for 2 bets, wether they be made by me, or called.

Flop: Check/Check
Turn: Bet/Call

That still leaves 1 bet for the river, and I have not gave the villain a chance to blow me off my equity by re-raising. Since we have position, we can better control the size of the pot.

Now assuming he doesn't overbet blast the river, we have a small pot and might have a good price to make the call. The river card could very well of improved our hand as well.

Last edited:
L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you everyone, especially MatMackenz; your response was well-explained and has given me a lot to think about toward improving my game. I just believe in giving credit where due!