whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Today occured this situation to me when it was bubble time. Big stack was raising me from button and I thought, he wants to steal and I hoped to resteal. I had already another game just right before with this oppononent where I had a pretty tight table image and was winning this.

But after his call the flop didn't develop like I hoped of course. I tried to C-Bet to bring him out of pot. And the rest you can see here.
Well, I folded altough, I knew, I will have hardly stack anymore. But the other players were more loose than me and somehow I even managed to come in HU with this opponent.
What do you think, was it correct to C-Bet at all and would you have folded afterwards like me? How would you have played this hand at all?

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - 50/100 NL - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BB): 30.85 BB
CO: 19.35 BB (VPIP: 23.33, PFR: 6.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 31)
BTN: 59.24 BB (VPIP: 21.51, PFR: 9.78, 3Bet Preflop: 3.57, Hands: 96)
SB: 25.56 BB (VPIP: 34.48, PFR: 13.79, 3Bet Preflop: 11.11, Hands: 31)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 3 3

fold, BTN raises to 3 BB, fold, Hero raises to 9 BB, BTN calls 6 BB

Flop: (18.5 BB, 2 players) J K 7
Hero bets 9.25 BB, BTN raises to 46.25 BB, fold,

J

Jamuka7657

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With your stack size low pairs are tricky. I probably would have just called preflop and folded to a c-bet As the big stack your opponent is going to be harder to bluff off of their hand, so you would probably want to have a better chance to improve if you are going to c-bet.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It seems villain also is pretty tight. So I would have called, just hoping for a set/straight.
When reading the title I was assuming much worse, but you did fine.
Nothing wrong with trying to resteal, and folding before it runs out of hand, well done.

1luckysob

1luckysob

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The re-steal is fine, you are protecting against future aggression against you. With him calling here and this flop connecting with his presumed range most of the time, there is a good chance you are beat in this spot. Let him take the pot and look to capitalize down the line.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The worst hands to 3B bluff, or 3B non-all in with are low PPs due to having no blocker effects and terrible post flop playability.

If you think V is opening extremely wide and are fine embracing the variance, I like reshoving here. Flatting would be the 2nd best option. Flop bet is fine, although you are getting jammed on often.

L

Ludiq Elchapo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
In this hand you only, commited for 3 i mean call only pre-flop raise to see the flop then fold immediatelly ..

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Thanks a lot for your many different opinions and point of views. I see, many of you would consider to flat call here. This actually did not come to my mind at this moment. I even considered either to fold this hand or shove. The villain was relative tight aggressive and of course knew how to play with his big stack. So I could not be sure, if he is just stealing or really holds something. Somehow I expected, that it is possible he will call my all-in and I would be the underdog at this moment. Therefore I decided at this moment to try it with a reraise in hope the villain will fold preflop. But like trent32la said, the playability postflop with this hand is really horrible.

I

ibetmyho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're on the bubble and are in 2nd place. You should play super tight vs the big stack and play super aggressive against the short stacks when given the chance.
Raising here is the worst option. Flat or fold.

Ryan Laplante

Ryan Laplante

CardsChat Pro
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Call pre is best option here, but folding is good also..

Small pp are really bad 3b pre unless you are able to shove. (This is fine stack to jam on vs a 3x, but icm makes this a peel or a fold)

G

Grearix

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, with a low pair it would have been better I think to just call preflop and if you don't hit the flop to get out in your situation. I think it was a good fold in the end.
Today occured this situation to me when it was bubble time. Big stack was raising me from button and I thought, he wants to steal and I hoped to resteal. I had already another game just right before with this oppononent where I had a pretty tight table image and was winning this.

But after his call the flop didn't develop like I hoped of course. I tried to C-Bet to bring him out of pot. And the rest you can see here.
Well, I folded altough, I knew, I will have hardly stack anymore. But the other players were more loose than me and somehow I even managed to come in HU with this opponent.
What do you think, was it correct to C-Bet at all and would you have folded afterwards like me? How would you have played this hand at all?

Winning Poker Network (Yatahay) - 50/100 NL - Holdem - 4 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

Hero (BB): 30.85 BB
CO: 19.35 BB (VPIP: 23.33, PFR: 6.67, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 31)
BTN: 59.24 BB (VPIP: 21.51, PFR: 9.78, 3Bet Preflop: 3.57, Hands: 96)
SB: 25.56 BB (VPIP: 34.48, PFR: 13.79, 3Bet Preflop: 11.11, Hands: 31)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 3 3

fold, BTN raises to 3 BB, fold, Hero raises to 9 BB, BTN calls 6 BB

Flop: (18.5 BB, 2 players) J K 7
Hero bets 9.25 BB, BTN raises to 46.25 BB, fold,

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think as a resteal attempt your raise was too small, I can't see see villain folding for just another 6BB, I think you would have to shove pre-flop for any chance of stealing there.
Also I don't want to play a hand out of position against the chip leader at this point unless I've got a monster. But for just 2BB I would call here and give up unless I hit a trey.
As for your post flop play I don't mind your bet sizing (though I would have checked after calling pre-flop). I see no reason not to believe villain has you beat when he reraises you (I think there are Kings, possibly some Jacks, and higher pairs than yours in his range) so a larger flop bet wouldn't have got him to fold. You definitely didn't want to risk your tournament chasing 2 outs from 2 cards to come here so you were right to fold.

W

wilywiles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
definitely would've folded anyways. no problem with the c-bet. thats what your supposed to do. but I would say given you stack size, I definitely dont reraise. maybe do some set mining in a cheap pot, but that reraise was to aggressive for your stack size

X

xbursonicx

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop 3-bet with pocket 33 doesn't look reasonable:
  • your opponent range isn't wide (21.51 VPIP can be considered somewhat tight by today standards)
  • your stack size is too small to allow such risky moves
But I wouldn't fold it though: it's a good hand to defend your blinds against standard raise. If you did that then you would check on the flop and most likely fold to c-bet (one should expect lots of kings and some jacks and sevens in villain's range on the button).

C

cgcook38

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like your play here. I think the “rule” about the difficulty of playing small pockets after the flop gets tossed out when you’re so short handed. The shorter the table gets, the less connected the flops will be. Your actions through the flop didn’t signal any kind of weakness, so the villains play was probably just very straightforward. They connected with the flop.

Limping here is just set mining and I think is a much worse play. I don’t think you’re getting paid off each time you get a set (because you’re four handed and the odds of the flop connecting with two people are so much worse). I don’t believe you’ll get paid off in the long run. If you think you have the best hand before the flop, it’s best to act like you do and hope they miss the flop.

Shoving is perhaps the worst thing to do unless you’re overly tired and not confident you can continue to make good moves going forward. It’ll probably be a coin flip and that’s good if you want to accelerate the end of the tournament.

Folding is very acceptable. Out of position is not a fun place to be.