$1.50 NLHE STT: $$1.50 NLHE STT: Bad line with monster flop

thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just want some opinions on this hand and how anyone else would play it because this one especially hurt. FYI it's was on BOL so I have to manually enter everything so it won't be as pretty as the pokertracker hands:

So started out playing 7 handed in a one-up SNG. I'm on the SB with AsJh. Blinds are at 100/50 and all the stacks in this hand are very close together around 2000.

Action folds to MP who limps in, I raise to 300BB, BB calls and MP folds. Now BB VPIP was around 57% and he was defending the BB basically every orbit so I wasn't too scared of his range at this point.

Flop comes JcAcJs giving me the full house but obviously not the nuts yet, but v had been betting on the flop 90% of the time so I figured the best strategy here was to check-call because preflop he had been 3-betting all his pairs so I was initially putting him Ax, low pair or some suited broadway, obviously hoping he had a straight or flush draw to get the most value even if he hits his hand. So I check and he raises 450 which I call.

Turn comes the Kh and I'm thinking the same strategy here but he checks too so now I'm putting more on a low pair or just complete trash he was hoping to hit somehow but I'll still check-call the next street to try and maybe get a bluff.

River is the Th, so I'm still feeling pretty good about my hand because he hasn't really shown any strength up till this point and his only other bet seemed more like trying to steal the pot on the flop than actually a good hand so I check again hoping for a bet, especially since the T puts him on the straight that I was hoping he had, and he shoves after a few seconds and I call.

He turns over KK and giving him a full house of Kings full of Jacks against my Jacks full of Aces knocking me out.

So any thoughts, comments, suggestions, abusive comments (which is what I usually find when I post hands for some reason?) on this hand?

nucl

nucl

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think that you could do something better here.You played the hand fine except for the pre flop action.
I would shove there pre with 20BB out of position.
Or at least raise 400-450.
But still the hand would be played by himself preflop, witch I believe is the correct way of playing AJ.
Just bad luck man.

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
too passive for my taste

In my mind,
2k stack. 20bigs. Shove pre
as played bet vs unknown. If you know the V to take stabs or won't let go of Ace rags check raise flop & GII turn.
You are only trapping an aggro pure bluffer while most players would go for cheaper showdown on that board.

But better sng players must have better answers

btw never post V's hand or the results. It doesn't help anyone. check rules before posting.
No long paras or sob stories for better. Not the place:)

Last edited:
thatguy6793

thatguy6793

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
too passive for my taste

In my mind,
2k stack. 20bigs. Shove pre
as played bet vs unknown. If you know the V to take stabs or won't let go of Ace rags check raise flop & GII turn.
You are only trapping an aggro pure bluffer while most players would go for cheaper showdown on that board.

But better sng players must have better answers

btw never post V's hand or the results. It doesn't help anyone. check rules before posting.
No long paras or sob stories for better. Not the place:)

Well I'm sorry you think me asking for advice on a hand is a sob story next time I'll run my questions by you to make sure they're acceptable :thefinger And for the long paragraphs, one they're one sentence so I don't get that at all and two if you could read the beginning I explained why it's like that. Next time just don't answer if you're gonna abuse my question

Alucard

Alucard

Santoryu
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry if it came out offensive. Didn't mean it like that.

TheBigFinn

TheBigFinn

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I should start by noting I am an experienced cash small stakes player who has been branching out into tournaments. That said, I think the prflop raise was too small. After the limper and Hero's call there was 300Bs in the pot, making your OOP raise 250. BB now calls 200 to win 500 pricing her in on with a wide range. AJo is not a great hand to be playing from OOP and I won't mid a fold preflop. I am surprised MP folded. He was calling 200 to win 700. If you are looking at push fold charts, AJ in the SB is a clear shove with 20 BBs. Either of those is better than a small raise.

On Hero's monster flop I would not count on Villain to do my betting. Hero raised and has the lead and is expected to C-bet any flop with an ace in it. with 1700 behind and 700 in the pot a 350 C-bet would be completely normal. Villain has a wide range and is unlikely to continue unless the flop hit here too.. If she folds it is unlikely she would improve enough to bet later. If she calls there is 1400 in the pot and Hero has 1350 behind, setting up a shove. If Villain raises, then its a race into the middle.

As played, once Villain bets there is 1600 in the pot (after Hero's call) and Hero has 1,300 behind. It is time to shove. If Villain was bluffing she is unlikely to continue bluffing knowing Hero is calling 1,300 to to win 2,900.

Not sure if KK calls the AJJ flop, if hero shoved, but the results are not really the point. As played the King on the turn was a cooler, but is not the reason Hero should have shoved either pre or on the flop. If Villain shoves preflop after Hero's weak bet Hero has to call, so better to shove, or at least bet larger. Preflop Hero wants folds.

One needs to imagine what happens if the flop came Axx or Kxx or Qxx or even Txx. By betting small HERO is OOP with an SPR of 1700/700 = 2.5 Hero is now completely blind and shoving or folding. Best to avoid this problem.

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all, pre-flop bet is certainly fine and standard. As far as shoving, I honestly don't think it is the best play pre flop. This is not a short stack among big stacks situations where you are inclined to shove with AJo. Everyone is at similar stack size, meaning similar chances to win/bust out of the tournament, with that being said, why risk shoving when you know you will only get called by better hands.
Post flop, considering your read, it is fine to check/call the flop. On the turn, I am more inclined to bet, I don't see villain continuing on such board if he really has nothing, also even if he did have Ax (as you put him) he has to expect you have an A as well, making you split the pot with that K on the turn-no reason for him to bet and risk it.
On the river, again, bet, you played too passive, you want him to pay if he caught a str8 (KQ is within his range considering the line he played as well as QJ despite only one J remaining)