$1.50 NLHE MTT: 2 Table 9-max SNG - Am I too nitty?!

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Villian Stats (VPIP/PFR/AF): 17/6/3

Hi. Villain's stats come from 35 hands. He has not 3-bet at all and my vague read would be that he is tight/passive.
I'm looking at hands where I lost more than I could have (or possibly should have won).
Here I feel I could have c-bet smaller, perhaps 30-40% pot.
But my main question has to be was I too nitty by folding? Playing around with Equilab I'd give myself about 30% equity. I would think I have a tight, (too) straightforward and (too) passive table image (I'm trying to improve!) so maybe there are more bluffs in V's range?
So what does everyone think? How might you have played this differently?

pokerstars, $1.29 + $0.21 - Hold'em No Limit - 60/120 (15 ante) - 9 players
Replay this hand on CardsChat

UTG: 4,375 (36 bb)
UTG+1: 2,010 (17 bb)
MP: 3,039 (25 bb)
MP+1: 2,085 (17 bb)
LP (Hero): 2,911 (24 bb)
CO: 1,436 (12 bb)
BU: 1,546 (13 bb)
SB: 1,468 (12 bb)
BB: 8,130 (68 bb)

Pre-Flop: (315) Hero is LP with K A
4 players fold, Hero raises to 360, 3 players fold, BB calls 240

Flop: (915) T 3 6 (2 players)
BB checks, Hero bets 610, BB raises to 7,755 (all-in), LP (Hero) folds

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Hi. Villain's stats come from 35 hands. He has not 3-bet at all and my vague read would be that he is tight/passive.
I'm looking at hands where I lost more than I could have (or possibly should have won).
But my main question has to be was I too nitty by folding? Playing around with Equilab I'd give myself about 30% equity. I would think I have a tight, (too) straightforward and (too) passive table image (I'm trying to improve!) so maybe there are more bluffs in V's range?

PokerStars, $1.29 + $0.21 - Hold'em No Limit - 60/120 (15 ante) - 9 players

Pre-Flop: (315) Hero is LP with K A

Flop: (915) T 3 6 (2 players)

Thank you for posting

Why 3x open? What was your goal? We
Where you paying attention to stack sizes? The only player who could call that raise was the big stack. The small stacks cannot try a steal shove because you were priced in.

On the flop We have A high vs a player who can bluff us. So we bet enough to warrant that player bluffing. We have outs on flop so checking is a fine option then we get to see more cards.

Hope this helps

L

LuisBoaC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for posting

Where you paying attention to stack sizes?
Thank you for your feedback and good question! Thinking back I would say yes I was paying attention to stack sizes and I was opening 3x because I was happy to take the pot here with AKs from HJ (and believed/knew the players left to act after me were capable of folding to that bet). But I'm not saying that was a good choice.?!
From that standpoint I'm not sure I can justify c-betting what is still just A-high vs chip leader's BB calling range. So yeah I like checking the flop as you suggest.
But what would you have done pre-flop?

Last edited:

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A few things with this hand. At a 24 BB stack you should not be opening to 3BB, at most I would say raise to 2.25 BB. I think jamming is a little deep at 24 BB but it would not exactly be the worst thing ever as we dont mind be called and we will pick up the blinds when we aren't called.

On the flop I think the two best options are to check or to bet small. I like checking more here since the flop hits the BB calling range and if we are ever check raised we have to fold (I think your fold here as played is just fine and is not too nitty, how many pure bluffs is he just check jamming with?). The best play is to check the flop and let the villain tell us what he has with the his turn action. A check on the turn would merit a bet and even if he bets I am not necessarily folding especially if it gives us any equity boost.

A takeaway from this hand besides that you should be checking this flop and pre flop raising smaller is that when you are the defender in the big blind (villain dependent of course) you can check raise a lot of boards that have small cards and get folds. The raiser in this spot will usually have bigger cards so most low card flops you can attack if you choose.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for your feedback and good question! Thinking back I would say yes I was paying attention to stack sizes and I was opening 3x because I was happy to take the pot here with AKs from HJ (and believed/knew the players left to act after me were capable of folding to that bet). But I'm not saying that was a good choice.?!
From that standpoint I'm not sure I can justify c-betting what is still just A-high vs chip leader's BB calling range. So yeah I like checking the flop as you suggest.
But what would you have done pre-flop?

Thank you for posting

With AKs I can play for stacks vs the shorter stacks.
Preflop I am hoping to get AJ AT KQ suited etc to shove. I block AA KK so at worst I am 50/50 most of the time

Leaving the possibility that I might be folding in the minds of my V’s is important to get them to shove these hands.
Your 3x open prices you in vs them so you force the V to not make any bluffs or looser shoves

Hope this helps

M

moshie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thank you for posting

Where you paying attention to stack sizes? The only player who could call that raise was the big stack. The small stacks cannot try a steal shove because you were priced in.

On the flop a theyirWe have A high vs a player who can bluff us. So we bet enough to warrant that player bluffing. We have outs on flop so checking is a fine option then we get to see more cards.
they
I would check back too. A lot of players are check raising any pair on the board; Also check raising any pocket pair. If they put you on AK or AQ suited.

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1,5 nlh

hi i think you played well but if you played in pokerstars and against a russian you play as you play they always call they are not thrown they never always go all the way with any hand

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

PokerStars, $1.29 + $0.21 - Hold'em No Limit - 60/120 (15 ante) - 9 players

Pre-Flop: (315) Hero is LP with K[emoji814] A[emoji814]

Flop: (915) T[emoji812] 3[emoji812] 6[emoji814] (2 players)
So in tournaments when you get under 40BBs you should just be min opening. Or 2.1-2.3x....

The reasoning is so we don't get stuck in spots like this. If we are to open smaller, it allows us to play more streets with a shallower stack without being committed.... adversely when facing a player that doesnt know about this change in the general game.... they will take your smaller raise as weakness, and jamming a lot wider. Allowing us to stack our opponents more often getting it in pre.

This hand doesn't contain to this, because we are the opener. But between 15-25BBs is considered "Re-Jam" range. We are rarely flatting with this amount. Instead jamming with almost our entire 3Betting range. Also anything less then 15BBs we need to be jamming based off "Push/Fold" charts when we are still only in the mid stages of the tournament, not in the money, or no where near the final table.

If you dont know push/fold or ICM. Consider doing research into these game theories.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I think you did most things right, but I agree with your analysis that your C-bet should be smaller. 3X raise pre is fine, if that is what you always bet. C-bet should be at around 35-40% with the flush draw showing. A fold to a C-bet has little to do with bet size, so smaller is usually better.

I think you played this fine, and BB has you beat 60% of the time with a flush draw the rest. Good fold.

A

atcj13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The shorter stacked you are the more you should be trying to realize your equity. Sure we are ahead most of the time on the flop, but if we bet smaller on the flop and fold to jams we are burning our equity. For this reason I think checking is probably the best play, but betting larger and calling is also probably close to allowing us to realize our equity.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
preflop: raise 2bb.
flop: bet 33% pot.
flop after check-raise: fold, because u r drawing dead vs sets.

1/3 not bad, usually u play worse from what I've seen.