$1.5 NLHE STT Turbo: Reverse Analysis

Did the "Hero" in this story play his hand correctly?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 3 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
9 handed ACR SNG. I think we were only to the 2nd hand in.

I was in the BB in this hand, but i want the "Hero" for this hand analysis to be UTG+1

so its 10/20 -- 1500 chips each, blinds are posted.

UTG+1 (HERO) Limps :kh4::kc4:

folds MP1 calls, MP2 calls, folds, CO calls, button calls, sb completes

BB raises to 140

Hero Calls - mp1 folds, mp2 folds, CO calls, btn calls SB calls. Flop comes::

:2c4::5d4::6s4:

SB checks, BB bets 265 -- Hero Calls -- co fold, btn folds, sb folds.

:2c4::5d4::6s4: turn is :3s4:

BB bets 475, Hero Calls

River is :2h4: --- board reads :2c4::5d4::6s4::3s4::2h4:

BB bets 620 "All In" -- What should our hero do in this spot??

If you want to know the outcome of this hand....scroll down. But first, please form an opinion about this hand.

The
Results
Are
As
Follows
Thanks
For
Taking
The
Time
To
Read
This :)

So the board reads :2c4::5d4::6s4::3s4::2h4:

BB (who is our ACTUAL Hero in this pot) bets 620 "All In" -- our UTG player Calls

BB Hero shows :8s4::2s4:: for trip 2's and UTG shows :kh4::kc4: for one pair.

So now that you know I was holding 82s -- perhaps you can break down my play on this hand as well...just wanted to see what you guys would do holding kings in that spot.

Me personally - if i took the line of our "story hero" -- i would fold the river...#1 i dont beat anything he is betting for value... #2...no way in hell i play kings this way lol

"IF" I limp kings, and rarely do i ever...when the BB raises the pot to 140, I immediately 3bet to 360 or higher. I wouldve probably opened the pot UTG for 70 and if 3bet - I would likely 4bet "all in" for 1500.

The opponent completely misplayed kings all the way, by the time he calls my turn bet I kind of figure him for an over pair of some sorts - maaayyybe even 78 of spades? anyhow - when i jam the river and he snap calls im not sure what he is showing up with - and then I see I was right just didnt expect it to be such a strong over pair...completely wasted his hand and - for me - its all that players fault his hand got cracked.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's hilarious to me that you flipped this hand around to try not to get your own play analyzed.

Yeah it's bad that he limp/called preflop with kings.

But you tried to squeeze a limped pot with 82s when you could have checked for free... Imo that's actually substantially worse.

In any case, his line postflop is totally fine. Particularly if you're showing up with like any two suited cards which I assume you are since you raised 82s preflop. He shouldn't put many value hands in your range to begin with because most people in the BB there will check their option pre with 22-66 and NOT raise it, so basically you have no boats or quads in your range for the most part.

Also how much 4x can he reasonably put in your range here due to preflop action? He meanwhile can give you 77+, and a plethora of spades holdings. Plus your bet sizing on every single street gives him a price where he pretty much HAS to call down with this exact holding if he plays it this way pre.

Honestly I never play the hand this way preflop from the KK shoes but if I did, I'd probably do the exact same thing postflop.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hilarious to me that you flipped this hand around to try not to get your own play analyzed.

Im not trying to hide my hand whatsoever - i just want to know why/if you would ever play kings this way. It just made no sense to me - so that's why i asked for the kings analysis - not to hide a horrible play gone lucky. Just relax, no need to phone in the poker police.

Im not oblivious, my play with 82 in the BB is terrible and not a normal move for my usual strategy. Not sure why, but whatever my reason at the time i decided to squeeze it with a rag hand, thin the field and hope to flop well enough.

I flopped a pair, turned a flush draw so i barreled again hoping to rep some sort of strength - then drilled the river. Not a great play - just dumb luck that i got there on the end - but no way possible i put this guy on a hand as strong as kings. Again - the lines he took made no sense to me whatsoever. Hence this post and the poll.

Thanks for the reply and your oppinion

O

oreleo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
turn fold ha ha or flop big bet

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The idiot with KK played horribly, I would have had you folding your BB pre-flop unless you're one of those players who can't let go of your BB.

John Turnner

John Turnner

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Guys. Im not competent. But how I see the situation:
1) Utg player, cunning. He has the second best hand and he wants to realize equity. His limp is most likely an excellent move. He received a lot of calls and a raise from the BB. The plan was a success, now you have to do 3bet, but why did he call? He was greedy. He expected aggression behind his back, as a result he outplayed. For him a lesson.
2) The author of the post should ask yourself a question and think seriously. Why did he create this post? In my career, too, there are different situations and the first thought to write a post. But suddenly I realize that Im writing a post to complain or boast, but not to draw the right conclusions. At the beginning of the way we are all fishes. Before this hand, you were a fish, in this hand you confirmed it and after this hand you will be a fish. Because you didnt make the right conclusion.
P.S. I didnt mean to insult you. you just need to look critically at situations if you want to move forward. GL

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
P.S. I didnt mean to insult you. you just need to look critically at situations if you want to move forward. GL

No big deal, we are ok :)

Again guys, thanks for the replies i just cant agree more. My play with the 82 may be beyond "what not to do" but this guys kings are wasted. 3bet my preflop raise and i insta-fold. Raise me on the flop and i insta-fold. Just so many spots my opponent could have won the hand outright. Just a bad situation for him that i ended up drawing out on his overpair.

Now - for whatever the reason i decided to raise the 82s this is my entire perspective. Most players at the micro SNGs are just outright terrible and dont limp KK or any other very strong hands. Typically in a multi way pot for the BB to raise into many opponents conveys a pretty strong holding. With only one caller preflop - and given his limp, call range - sure he COULD slowplay a monster but most of these players are so ABC that they will let you know long ageah of time they are holding a big one. Anyhow, we go to the flop and i hit a piece, with me putting his range on KQ, AJ, A10, maybe even KJ or QJ suited - if hes holding speculative hands like that - i am ahead and do keeping up my aggression and image from the BB i decide to cbet. He calls, the turn brings in a flush draw for me - again, i want to keep up my story of strength so i fire a 2nd bullet - when he calls this if the river bricks i completely shut down, but it doesnt, brings in the 3rd deuce for me and so i decide to rip it in and hope he has an overpair - turns out he does, a very big one.

I wouldnt say running plays on or "bluffing" these lower level players is smart, but it works once in a blue moon so i decided to run one of those here. I dont feel like i am a total fish just because i chose to run a play using the BB image to portray strength throughout the hand and i ended up getting there. For me - my opponent was the fish for completely misplaying his kings this way. I could have just as easily bet all 3 streets with AA, the last two KK or even QQ, tho i probably dont rip it in on the river - just check call even if he pushes just to see the bad news.

Last edited: