$1.5 NLHE STT: Did I got too greedy? Is my 3 bet size appropriate

L

lonenlynobita

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest homework has been how to be more aggressive and be able to steal pots that don't belong to me. I'm wondering if I'm having too much fun.

Table Image: I have been playing very aggressive, but this due to me having a very good run at the beginning of the game. I won 20% of the pots, but have only seen the flop 10%. I have 43 BB. All 6 players are still in play. It was level 3 so the stack average is 30 BB. I haven't tabled any hand.

The villain, IIRC, at that point, had 30% open rate. The villain is the shortest stack with 18 BB left.

Villain opened to 2 BB from the button. It's a smaller open size from his usual one. SB fold. I have 23o from the Big Blind. There is 4.2BB on the pot.

There is no way I'm calling here. FMPOV, I either fold, or steal the pot pre-flop. I decided to 3-bet 7 BB. If he called, the effective stack is 11 BB against a 14 BB pot.

My questions are:

1. Assuming stealing is acceptable, is 7 BB the right bet size?
2. Is steal acceptable here?

I mean, I know 32o is seems a bit too loose. But:

1. If I think it's equitable to try him to fold pre-flop to a 3 bet, then my hand basically doesn't matter right?
2. Yes, he's reducing the bet-sizing to 2 BB because he's getting short, but I don't think he will reduce the bet sizing if he has a monster hand? I don't have proof to think that he specifically do that, but it's something that I generalize among player who is short stacked.
3. If I bet 7 BB, that's basically me trying to get him to commit his chip if he called. Therefore, his calling range is very tight. I am betting extra 6 BB to win 4.2 BB. So my bet needs to work 60% of the time to be profitable.

Let's say I put him opening 25% of the range, but not QQ+ and AK. If I 3 bet, he is going to call with 66+ broadway minus QJ, QT, JT. He's folding more than 50% of the range. Do I think he will call that loose? I don't think so?

I

ibetmyho

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like you're playing aggressively, I believe it's the only way to consistently win at MTT's.

However 32o is far too loose. Competent MTT players will raise strong of stacks which are below 20 bbs and will often just shove over your 3bet and then you will be stuck in spots where you're priced into calling with 32o.

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You're out of position for the rest of the hand, and 32o is one of the worst hands in Holdem. Fold and wait for something with a bit more playability.

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Interesting arguments, when I started read your scribbles - :p - I thought "noo it is not right, too loose" but with time I was wondering more and more and finally I woke up, thanks God ;)
You are thinking during the game and it is great, but I'm not an ally of such choices. 3rd level, early phase of tournament, low blinds in consideration to stack and 23o without future )of course any hand preflop has a chance) ehh
1. Yes it is good sizing
2. No, it isn't, you don't block anything if you want make sth like that you should have even if Axs, Kxs, some suited connectors (23s? still not for me), brodways, any pairs and position I think and more informations than few hands, you have fold equity on him, but you have agressive image and your range is soo wide. It would looks better if you would be tight player there imo.

If I were you I wouldn't even call.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is a big conceptual misunderstanding here. When you are in BB seat, you are closing action, and you are getting a big discount, especially on a mini-raise. This mean, you can profitably call way more hands, than you can profitably 3-bet. So if its not good enough to call, then it is absolutely not good enough to 3-bet either.

Against a BTN steal with a min-raise, you could argue for calling with any two cards, since the price is so good, and his range is wide as well. But if you are going to have any folds, then 32o must be one of them, since its the worst possible hand heads up. Its often said, that 72o is the worst hand, but that is multiway.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I prefer only defending big blind with 23o and I hope cautch something on the flop, especially draws to straight. I think that 3bet 23o out of position isn't good idea, because often we have to bluff on the flop. I'm not sure if that is right game in long run. I think that are better hands to 3bet pre flop from the big blind to steal from the button, every aces A2o+, because if we have some ace on the hand it usually means that we take one ace our opponent, we block other aces. If we block him some outs it means usually that he can have weaker hands, for example he can have hand like KQo pre flop and if he call pre flop 3bet with KQo and not score a hit on the flop some draws or one pair he usually will be fold.

X

xrhstos

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You were already playing aggressively and yet still decided to take that line.
If you had a tight image maybe you could have gotten away with the steal, though long term 3betting hands like 23o will lose you a lot chips.
You can definitely have some bluffs in your 3betting range but it's better to have suited aces, suited connectors and generally cards that can flop decent equity when called, but if you get jammed on you can fold easily.