$1.10 NLHE STT: Completing from the small blind with a weak hand

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember reading that its best to complete from the SB in limped pots preflop because your getting such a good price to see a flop and you flop a monster often enough to justify it, even with weak hands. Here I'm getting 1:7 pot odds to call preflop assuming the big blind checks through which happens most of the time. I removed stats because I've been playing with the hud disabled lately and the sample size is small anyway, BB is pretty passive.

Do you guys agree or disagree with this preflop strategy from the SB?
Did I navigate post flop correctly? check on flop is obvious, I think turn bet is okay, and I liked checking on the river because BB must have had something to call my turn bet. I think there could also be an argument to cbet the river and try to take the pot... but im pretty sure checking the river is better for showdown value.

iPoker - $1+$0.10|<> NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by PokerTracker 4

CO: 31.5 BB
BTN: 14 BB
Hero (SB): 26.8 BB
BB: 29.6 BB
UTG: 81.1 BB
UTG+1: 25.7 BB
MP: 31 BB
MP+1: 30.3 BB

Hero posts SB 0.5 BB, BB posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 4:club: 9:heart:

fold, fold, fold, MP+1 calls 1 BB, fold, BTN calls 1 BB, Hero calls 0.5 BB, BB checks

Flop: (4 BB, 4 players) 2:club: J:spade: 9:diamond:
Hero checks, BB checks, MP+1 checks, BTN checks

Turn: (4 BB, 4 players) 6:heart:
Hero bets 1.7 BB, BB calls 1.7 BB, fold, fold

River: (7.4 BB, 2 players) 6:spade:
Hero checks, BB checks

Hero mucks 4:club: 9:heart: (Two Pair, Nines and Sixes)
(Pre 12%, Flop 18%, Turn 11%)
BB shows T:spade: T:heart: (Two Pair, Tens and Sixes)
(Pre 88%, Flop 82%, Turn 89%)
BB wins 7.4 BB

t1riel

t1riel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't see anything wrong with this play. You had junk but in the small blind you limped. Hit a pair but an overpair on the board so you checked. Since they all checked on the flop and no scare card on thee turn, you bet since you probably have the best hand at this point. The call from BB on the turn is concerning especially since there is another 6 on the river. I would check just as you have.

BB was simply slowplaying tens here. Would a bet on the river get him to fold? Probably not.

mbrenneman0

mbrenneman0

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the feedback.

Although its hard to ignore results, if we pretend for a moment we don't know what villain has, would a raise on the turn or a bet from villain on the river be a fold?

T

Tomioto3095

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see any mistake from pay complete the SB. Because, is what you said, the flop can give you a really good hand. Then i'll probably do what you did. Check the flop, then bet, then check.

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just letting go of 94o here preflop. There's no antes, our hand isn't going to flop very well, and we are out of position postflop. If we're 50bb+ deep I don't mind limping 94o here.

Postflop looks fine.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands