$1.10 NLHE MTT: set over set

N

nyeesssss

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
you played it fine , plenty of hands to get value from like 2 pair combinations. On river you have to call that raize with a set , if he went all in then you can fold. To this raize on river you can fold weak 2pair combos but a set is a call. you played ok. how ever i would fold flop probably but if the villains are fish then you can call cause of implied odds.

stylebender72

stylebender72

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
it was a fold on the flop you made a terrible call and it costed you when you rivered your set
on the river the SB is never value betting worse his KJ raise pre his 65 check raise flop so he was repping a slow played set or 43 so there was no point is shoving which you didnt thank god so vs his river 3bet our call doesnt make a lot of money you should have folded the flop

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would not have called the flop bet. Yes it is only a little more than quarter pot but just twos there with two cards to come is nothing great. Your opponents could easily have nothing right now except a flush draw but even if they have that, they have a flush draw with two over cards and are a favorite. I understand in that specific situation the odds would dictate a call but what are you going to do if the turn is something other than a 2,3, or 4 and they bet again? Just better to fold this one on the flop bet since you are only looking to hit your set.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As others have said, just get out on the flop. Yes its a small bet, but the other guy has already called, and you are very unlikely to win the hand, unless you improve to a set. So even the odds are good, they are not good enough.

As played the river is just a cooler. You should certainly raise for value with a set, when no flush or straight is possible, and it almost got checked to the river. You can get value from a lot of worse hands, and you should literally always have the best hand.

In the long run he is the one, who is making a mistake by slowplaying his set until the river. This time it worked out for him, because it allowed you to catch up to a worse set. But much more often he will either win a small pot or lose a big pot to someone, who drew out on him.

PuletJelek

PuletJelek

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you played it fine , plenty of hands to get value from like 2 pair combinations. On river you have to call that raize with a set , if he went all in then you can fold. To this raize on river you can fold weak 2pair combos but a set is a call. you played ok. how ever i would fold flop probably but if the villains are fish then you can call cause of implied odds.

yep, i agree.. thank you

it was a fold on the flop you made a terrible call and it costed you when you rivered your set
on the river the SB is never value betting worse his KJ raise pre his 65 check raise flop so he was repping a slow played set or 43 so there was no point is shoving which you didnt thank god so vs his river 3bet our call doesnt make a lot of money you should have folded the flop

i think so,, fold small pairs unless you improve them

I would not have called the flop bet. Yes it is only a little more than quarter pot but just twos there with two cards to come is nothing great. Your opponents could easily have nothing right now except a flush draw but even if they have that, they have a flush draw with two over cards and are a favorite. I understand in that specific situation the odds would dictate a call but what are you going to do if the turn is something other than a 2,3, or 4 and they bet again? Just better to fold this one on the flop bet since you are only looking to hit your set.

we can get extra chips with small pairs, and watch carefully.. in that case, i'm on BB.. :)

As others have said, just get out on the flop. Yes its a small bet, but the other guy has already called, and you are very unlikely to win the hand, unless you improve to a set. So even the odds are good, they are not good enough.

As played the river is just a cooler. You should certainly raise for value with a set, when no flush or straight is possible, and it almost got checked to the river. You can get value from a lot of worse hands, and you should literally always have the best hand.

In the long run he is the one, who is making a mistake by slowplaying his set until the river. This time it worked out for him, because it allowed you to catch up to a worse set. But much more often he will either win a small pot or lose a big pot to someone, who drew out on him.

Yep,, he set a trap... it's easy to fold 22 if he raise big pot.. when he bets 300 on the river it looks like a sign of weakness.. he also looks like a fish who never think maybe i hit a straight when reraise him...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yep,, he set a trap... it's easy to fold 22 if he raise big pot.. when he bets 300 on the river it looks like a sign of weakness.. he also looks like a fish who never think maybe i hit a straight when reraise him...

I missed the fact, 43 rivered a straight. It does not change anything though. The way, the hand played out, everyone can still have an extremely wide range, and its just one other hand, you potentially lose to. Raising for value is still totally fine, but its also just a call, when he 3-bet, even its a silly size. Set over set is generally just a cooler, and its totally fine to lose some chips, when it happen.

Nr98

Nr98

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mandatory raise on the river, heck depending on the opponent you could even 4bet jam at these stakes (like I said it's opponent dependent, against some that would be lighting money on fire. But the inital reraise is mandatory and so is the 3B call at least). But fold flop (multiway pot, had it been headsup a call is fine).

1player2

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
are you just going to flat call 300 or it's ok to reraise?? of course i know my hand is no longer favorite to win after villain reraise...

https://www.cardschat.com/replayer/624x2zmNo

Thank you for your post. In my opinion hero still could be the favorite after a re-raise on the river. Villian could be reraising a slow played two pair or top pair top kicker. I generally like to fold my smaller pairs after the flop when I miss but with the small bet sizing by villian I would have stayed in the hand as well. With a set and the small betting up until the river where hero and villian get it all in I'd assume I have the best hand and I would have went to showdown with my set. Unfortunately villian slow played his set and it didn't go your way this hand. Don't be discouraged with this result I think you played it well. Good Luck

Good Luck To All:cool:

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We are set mining here - we miss our set on the flop and even though villan gives us great odds to call we are essentially drawing to 2 outs, or 8% on the turn - that's not too good. I would just pitch 22s into the muck on the flop.

As played, once we hit our set we are just getting dinged pretty badly - I'd note the hell out of the other guy for slow playing a set until the river - we lose soooooo much value when we do this.

Anyhow, the way the hand played out is strange for sure. Once we do connect I like the river raise as 34 is the only hand combo we should really worry about and when villan 3bets us here on the river it certainly raises alarm bells but I LOVE the fact that you just called here on the river. Our hand is way too strong to fold, and when we 4bet shove it's hard to get called by worse. So if he is running some sort of crazy 3bet bluff, we are getting no additional money anyway.

This is just a cooler, nothing more we can do once we hit our set.

In conclusion I would fold to the flop bet - as played I love the way you handled it on the river. Cant avoid set over set spots.

thehangdude

thehangdude

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Low pairs can be chip killers. You were lucky to get out of it with a decent amount of chips left.

Pre-flop, I would have done the same. It cost you nothing to see if you caught a set on the flop. But I would fold at the first bet. You are chasing two cards. A straight or flush draw are chasing four times that many cards.

The villain slow playing the 5s got very lucky. That it paid off this time does not make his actions any better. Note this, and take advantage of your position on him to bleed him dry.