theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
400gtd

Already in the money approximately 25-30 players remain.

I was on my second bullet in this event having had my KKs destroyed by A/T from a button shove.

I had chipped back up well and sat in the top 5 in chips after I'd called a preflop shove and a caller with AAs. Then I was blessed with a player on my direct right who subscribed to the commandment that EVERY late position he was required by law to play overly aggressive to steal the blinds. He lasted 4 orbits and I had his stack.

Currently ITM, and I have made my 2 buy-ins back. Up top is roughly $85.00, which is about 3x my current BR on this site.

Blinds are 3k/6k. Anti ?
My chip stack is approximately 250k.

A player I have identified as TAG 2.5x opens from CO.
CO chip stack is approximately 200k.
My read on this player - from playing with him in several events over the course of several months is he does not play many hands, but when he does, he plays very aggressive and maximizes every bet he makes. Seems like a solid TAG who maximizes ROI on every bet/street/hand played.

I make the call in BB with :qh4::jh4:

Flop
:kh4::10h4::qc4:

I check - already planning to play for stacks. I checked because I'm confident CO player will bet out strong with any pair and I want to counter attack in this spot. I have two remaining streets to build the pot if CO chooses not to bet, but I suspect he will.

CO bets pot - which - in my mind is completely consistent with his tendencies I have noted. I delay my bet here - just to think about what hands could 'currently' have me beat. I'm thinking he either has a set - in which case I think he may have bet too small preflop. Or he may have two pair - which I'm happy to flip with, with my holding. Or possibly he has one pair with an Ace kicker. All these hands I'm willing to go against here - in this spot - right now.

At that point I decided to shove - because I knew this hand was going to showdown anyway - and I wanted to put pressure on CO player.

He SNAP calls. I was right - he had a pair with an Ace kicker.

He turns over :ah4::qs4: :afraid:

Turn is :8h4:

River is :6h4:

I somehow managed to stay in the event and placed 7th or 8th. Not terrible, but not top 3 either. :)

I'm not sure there is much to analyze here - other than I wanted to share. All opinions welcome.

I believe my re-raise shove on the flop is a good decision - if maybe slightly reckless, however it comes with the added benefit of putting pressure on the opponent - not holding that EXACT hand or Ah/Xh. LOL

It's obvious I overvalued my hand, but I believe we would have been playing for stacks anyway if I had just called. Once the turn hit I was getting it in - and with his cards I'm certain he was too.

I had about 400 outs to any hand not Ah/Qs, once I saw his hand and the turn came I was begging for the 9 of hearts or any offsuit Ace or anything else actually LOL other than "his" flush to come in.

I think playing this in a check call fashion would have resulted in the same outcome.

What do you think?

Z

zhilipp

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thats really unlucky... But congrats on your good result in the Tournament.

The only thing that might made a difference is if you didn´t shove on th4e flop but on the turn so he could be folding but as you said you played for stacks and you had a million outs. Great Job by knowing his Range that exact BTW.

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
On the flop you check always, OESD + flush draw, a lot of draws.
He probably hit the flop too his range is quite narrow down here. Play check - call is optimal here.
His bet was the size of a pot, without sense, he want scare you? had a set or AT and protect himself from flush? he lost a lot of value here especially he had ace of heart so he blocked flush little but like you sad, you noticed that he did this most of the time. I have a question to you, how many hands did you see (showdown) he was playing like that, accurately?

Is it possible to escape from this hand? I don't think so. I probably would make a call and I'd like to see how he reacts, because if you call bet like that, you have to have sth, sth good like here or ready hand, nuts AT (because KK QQ you make 3-bet preflop [unless you used slowplay]) and worth noticing that you have around 35bigs behind even if you call so, big stack, maybe too big to make a shove on the flop. ICM with great certainty don't like this.
Difficult spot, instructive. Good luck next time and nice result :)

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the flop your equity is HUGE. You have a straight flush draw and middle pair. Of course we don't know the villain has AQ with the A of heart but still, it's harder for them to make a call on the flop than you. Just an unlucky turn of events.

Congrats on making it through to cash though!

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thats really unlucky... But congrats on your good result in the Tournament.The only thing that might made a difference is if you didn´t shove on th4e flop but on the turn so he could be folding but as you said you played for stacks and you had a million outs. Great Job by knowing his Range that exact BTW.
Thanks for the compliment zhilipp. I've been really working hard off the table to range opponents better since I don't use HUD or any other assistance software.
The ones that are difficult to range are the limpers and maniacs, though it's not difficult to play them imo. But ranging them - ??? who knows from one hand to the next.
They still have tendencies though - always have to keep watching. ;)

I have a question to you, how many hands did you see (showdown) he was playing like that, accurately?
Appreciate your response Brawo. In my opinion this player is a solid TAG. Over the past several months I'd say I've seen him play 300-400 hands. He gets a lot of folds on the flop, and I have called him down several times with a flopped set.
He is a pretty good player in my opinion. We are often battling into the money.
I've seen him showdown all sorts of hands, from A top pair K kicker, sets, two pair and boats, straights and flushes. I don't think I've ever seen him run a bluff, although I and others have stacked him because we had a better two pair or a set or just better hand.
I have had him on my left on occasion - and will raise with marginal holdings, which work a little over 50%, because I know he is tight. If I get a re-raise I know he has a strong hand, and to continue accordingly, or fold. If he calls - he often hits the flop and goes with it. I have shown down against him when I hit and had a better one or two pair, but when he is playing a hand he plays it strong. So better have a good hand when playing him.
I'm actually not sure if I have ever seen him fold to a bet on the river. I can't say I have.
Good to know our opponents right! :)

On the flop your equity is HUGE. You have a straight flush draw and middle pair. Of course we don't know the villain has AQ with the A of heart but still, it's harder for them to make a call on the flop than you. Just an unlucky turn of events.
Congrats on making it through to cash though!
Thanks for cleaning up my vocabulary succinctly TheDude. :)
You pretty much explained everything that was bouncing around in my scattered brain in two sentences.
Although my thought process was a little more involved in those few seconds before I shoved, The straight flush draw was a BIG factor in my decision to make that move.
Maybe it'll come in next time. ;)

Last edited:
F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general when you have a draw and a good but not nutted made hand, it makes no sense to play with aggression. Its not really for value, since the hands, that continue, usually have good equity, and its not a bluff either, because he is never folding a better hand. Finally you have all the main draws covered, so there are very few bad turn cards for you. So as someone already said, check-calling is a better play. In this particular case the money would almost certainly have gone in regardless, but results dont matter.

theANMATOR

theANMATOR

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In general when you have a draw and a good but not nutted made hand, it makes no sense to play with aggression. Its not really for value, since the hands, that continue, usually have good equity, and its not a bluff either, because he is never folding a better hand. Finally you have all the main draws covered, so there are very few bad turn cards for you. So as someone already said, check-calling is a better play. In this particular case the money would almost certainly have gone in regardless, but results dont matter.
That makes a lot of sense fundiver. One of the reasons I choose to shove as opposed to check call was to apply pressure on opponent. In this case it didn't matter, and I suppose that isn't a really compelling reason to make the move I did, but if he had been aggressive with a hand without the Ace of hearts, the shove would have removed his ability to fold the turn when the flush arrived, so it would have been for max value. That straight flush staring me in the face was just too juicy and I played it aggressively.

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think in these spots people tend to really overplay their draws to the fullest extent. We have a great hand on this board - but the problem is there are still lots of combos that have us destroyed here! Not to mention if our opponent truly is TAG they likely hold some sort of relative blockers to our straight draw outs in one way or another.

Not sure I agree with the shove on the flop. Less than 30bb effective in play...i dont think it's a terrible play by any means, just not sure if we HAVE to do this when our opponent bets POT on the wettest board in America. Maybe i am just to passive but with a 40+bb stack to start the hand I am just calling the flop bet and looking to realize my equity without risking my entire stack because you have to realize when we check/shove flop we are typically only getting called by better hands, ones that have us crushed. The fact this opponent called off with AQ is insane, but that's the low stakes for you, even on ACR.

Anyhow, if we were to check/call flop, spike the turn then we know what to do and life is golden. If somehow we were to get to the river, we call off as well with the 2nd nut flush - we are just too strong to fold at that point and if he has the A it's just frosty and is what it is.

We got it in with great equity, we hit our hand and got sucked out on. What more can you do?