$1.10 NLHE MTT: I know I played the river terribly, bet fold is the play then?

tewwa94

tewwa94

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I panicked so bad on this hand after that folk called the turn overbet, watching it now I guess I should've bet 2/3 pot and fold the raise? :confused:

pokerstars - 3200/6400 Ante 800 NL - Holdem - 8 players
Hand converted by Holdem Manager 3

Hero (SB): 345,276 (53.9 bb)
BB: 309,038 (48.3 bb)
UTG: 338,075 (52.8 bb)
UTG+1: 2,356 (0.4 bb)
MP: 157,474 (24.6 bb)
MP+1: 332,488 (52 bb)
CO: 378,894 (59.2 bb)
BTN: 329,739 (51.5 bb)

8 players post ante of 800, Hero posts SB 3,200, BB posts 6,400

Pre Flop: (pot: 16,000) Hero has :3h4: :4d4:
6 folds, Hero calls 3,200, BB checks

Flop: (19,200, 2 players) :5s4: :7d4: :6c4:
Hero bets 12,800, BB calls 12,800

Turn: (44,800, 2 players) :as4:
Hero bets 51,200, BB calls 51,200

River: (147,200, 2 players) :9h4:
Hero bets 274,076 and is all-in, BB calls 237,838 and is all-in

Results: 622,876 pot (0 rake)
Final Board: :5s4: :7d4: :6c4: :as4: :9h4:

Hero shows :3h4: :4d4:: (Straight, Seven High)
(Pre 35%, Flop 72%, Turn 84%)

BB shows :jd4: :8c4:: (Straight, Nine High)
(Pre 65%, Flop 28%, Turn 16%)

BB wins 622,876

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Very aggressive play in my opinion, no need to try to"force" villain fold, with this overbet turn, just relax and think, you can bet even 1/3, and check/call river. You had luck to make a rare straight, any amount of chips it's already good enough, if villain shove river, you simple fold. My final thoughts is> You have a considerable amount of BB left, 34o is just another hand, relax and go for the next.

Z

zuker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
IMHO completing on SB is mistake. Bet or fold (bet is better).

Jon Poker

Jon Poker

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I dont like completing with such a junk hand from the SB - when we talk about balanced ranges and such it applies pretty well here from the SB - I will be raising all of my best hands and my worst hands here - while I am flatting my medium strength/marginal hands. The I will also throw some of my strongest hands into the limp range here like AA, KK, etc to possibly induce my opponent to raise in which I will be reraising - and when they dont my hand strength is severely under repped and I can get alot of value from their marginal made top pairs they are not willing to fold. Soooooo - that all said I would definitely raise this hand up preflop.

The lead on the flop I like - but once we get called we should be shutting down - we gave it our best shot - this board is extremely connected and smacks the BB range pretty hard with 1pr + draw combos, open ended combos and alllll the 2 pr combos. Just no need for us to punt off 50bbs in a spot where our bluff is likely never getting through.

jaworek1405

jaworek1405

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I play similarly to hero, but I play other sizings. So pre flop call from the small blinds is standard for me. On the flop with a straight I play bet for about 50% of the pot. Hero's bet on the flop for over 50% also looks good. On the turn I also bet for 50% of the pot and I think with straight we still can feel safely. I don't play here bet for over 100% of the pot, because we can frighten our opponent and he can fold his hand and we won't win chips in this situation. On the river come up not good card for us, because of possible better straight. Very useful would be some information about our opponent, some reads, what hands he showed before this hand, if opponent made a weak moves and he showed weak cards I play bet for 50% of the pot on the river and probably call his allin. When opponent play good earlier, he showed good cards I wonder above fold our straight.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
With antes I dont mind completing garbage, if Villian is passive and wont raise to often. Without antes 43o is a snap fold.

Flop
Standard bet for value with the dummies end of a straight.

Turn
Overbetting seem like a bit of an overplay here given, that he can have any two cards, and two better straights are possible. I would just pick a normal sizing.

River
Very bad card for you, and now you can either check-fold or check-call depending on his sizing and reads. Jamming it in is entitlement tilt. He will only call you with a better straight.

tewwa94

tewwa94

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Preflop
With antes I dont mind completing garbage, if Villian is passive and wont raise to often. Without antes 43o is a snap fold.

Flop
Standard bet for value with the dummies end of a straight.

Turn
Overbetting seem like a bit of an overplay here given, that he can have any two cards, and two better straights are possible. I would just pick a normal sizing.

River
Very bad card for you, and now you can either check-fold or check-call depending on his sizing and reads. Jamming it in is entitlement tilt. He will only call you with a better straight.

The thing you said about entitlement tilt on the river was exactly what happen when I played this hand. I remember feeling so dazed on turn and river and didn't even consider the size of the pot or the fact that the 8 was such a bad card. Thank you for your reply.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Why bet in such a river at all? Even more so after your overbet on the turn! You played this hand without understanding about the range of opponent. For understand how to play this spot, you must more work on the game. No one will give to you good advice how to play this spot because no one play this spot like you.

Folding in Poker