$1.10 NLHE MTT: Getting value out of top boat

N

ninoverm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Found myself in this pretty interesting spot on the verge of the bubble of the Big $1.10. Didn't wanna put 33 blinds in there on the bubble with 99, and I didn't wanna fold to a 4-bet, so I decided to flat pre, under-repping my hand. Not much history with this player.

Pretty standard check-call on the flop. Bombing turn for my hand. Standard check. Once he bets I'm in an interesting spot. How do I get as much value as possible? By calling, I still don't have the initiative and I feel like the river getting checked back is a huge possibility. Min-raising looks extremely strong, pricing myself in massively and making it too obvious I wanna look weak.

So I decided to go for the shove. Still looks quite big, but I thought this was the best way to make it look like something among the lines of 8s7s and 7s5s.

Not sure if this is the way I make most value though. It's either a combo draw like mentioned before or at least a 6. If I call, he may still go for tight value with an overpair (which he is credibly repping). What do you guys think? Is this the best way to get value or should I call and hope for a bet on the river?

poker stars $1.00+$0.10 No Limit Hold'em Tournament - t400/t800 Blinds + t65 - 9 players

CO: t23182 M = 12.99
BTN: t69588 M = 38.98
SB: t21956 M = 12.30
Hero (BB): t26473 M = 14.83
UTG: t69663 M = 39.03
UTG+1: t27953 M = 15.66
UTG+2: t37614 M = 21.07
MP1: t9982 M = 5.59
MP2: t33307 M = 18.66

Pre Flop: (t1785) Hero is BB with 9 :diamond: 9 :heart:
2 folds, UTG+2 raises to t1600, 5 folds, Hero calls t800

Flop: (t4185) 4 :club: 6 :spade: 6 :diamond: (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG+2 bets t2400, Hero calls t2400

Turn: (t8985) 9 :spade: (2 players)
Hero checks, UTG+2 bets t4800, Hero raises to t22408 all in

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
You should definitely raise turn here for betting lead and value.shoving in my opinion is too big a raise you are betting 1.5 times pot.
Your opponent has a minimum of a big flush draw here. A lot of overpairs with a flush combos as well.
My general strategy here would be to put in a small raise that would allow you to stick the rest of your stack on the river for between 60-80% of pot.

If you had more info on villain you can play it different ways. A shove works, also you can flat turn and gamble a check raise on the river if you feel have nothing. You can even flat turn and donk river for about 40% if you feel he would call it with something like 10s Js or 8s and dosen't want to play for stacks.

Not a lot of 6s in your opponent range here maybe only A6 suited the other combination of a 6 is 66 which has you crushed.

N

ninoverm

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My general strategy here would be to put in a small raise that would allow you to stick the rest of your stack on the river for between 60-80% of pot.

Did you look at it correctly? If I min-raise, I make it 9600. If I peel a call off, the pot grows to 28K and I've got a little less than 13K behind. That's what I was trying to say - a minraise probably looks stronger than a shove, because of my SPR.

You can even flat turn and donk river for about 40% if you feel he would call it with something like 10s Js or 8s and dosen't want to play for stacks.

I like this idea though. Wouldn't be able to get my full stack in, but a river donk seems really fishy and could indeed result in a crying call with hands that wouldn't call this shove. Shame I didn't try it, haha.

K

kozong

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
im calling turn and jamming river

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
These spots are always the worst. If you don't think he will call your shove, I like the idea of calling turn and leading something small on the river so it looks like a blocker bet. If he has an overpair he will probably just call knowing he's beat. This still looks pretty strong sometimes, but it may be the only value you get if you think he folds to your shove.

mcgregor_415

mcgregor_415

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a great and very important hand to comment. With it you may improve your chances to enter to the money.

I think the guy has two over cards AQs or something. I am not putting him with a monster pair, because probably he would 3-bet on such position pre-flop.

I would 2-bet him on the turn. He probably would call and then on a river I would put another 7200 so that he could try with A high for such a committed pot.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think I 'm gonna just call turn and shove or call on the turn . If he had a PP ( maybe higher than 88+ ) I guess , having position as well , he might have raised more than half the pot on both flop and turn to protect his hand , especially on the turn , and get some value . I believe he might have AJs+ , maybe he bluffs , so he won't call all in on the turn . If there is a scary high card on the river , shove , or else let him continue bluffing and reraise all in .

D

Danc1u

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Indeed,even if u have nuts there...he could have a bigger pair and hit on the river...that s the best way to get as much as posible,very important rule in poker ...DON`T BE GREADY!! :) the hand turn very good for you tho...gj,u played it well ...my opinion Hf