$1.1 NLHE MTT Rebuy: Is shoving 56s on BB good here?

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
*No copy/paste option for HH.
*Re-buy/Add-on option completed
*New to table. 3rd hand

Blinds: 150/300/30
Pot: 690

UTG: 21,791 [opens to 600]
UTG 1: [empty]
MP 1: 9060 [folds]
MP 2: 15,765 [calls 600]
HJ: 4,067 [calls 600]
CO: 10,552 [folds]
BTN: 12,985 [folds]
SB: 12,838 [folds]
BB [Hero]: 5,124

Pot: 2,490

Is shoving or calling is the better play in this spot. This is only my 3rd hand at the table, so I don't know how anyone is playing. I also don't run any tracking software.

As played, the pot is ~50% of my stack, which would be nice boost. I don't think MP2 and HJ anything with their cold calls and while I'd like to take it down preflop, I don't think I'm really hating 56s in an isolated HU situation w/ UTG here.

Also, my shove is 1/4th of UTG's stack. Should I assume that UTG would have to call with a much tighter range for it to be profitable. Of course, I could be giving micro mtt players too much credit, but what range would a solid player call here?

Is just paying the 300 [8:1] and seeing a flop a good option? It's definitely much safer as I close the action preflop and can check/fold a ton of flops unless I hit really well. But is that a bit too safe?

J

JustSoPro

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You are the second shortest stack at the table and it isn't even close. 3 people already put in money, this is a horrible spot to shove with 65s. You can call/fold as you have good pot odds and if you don't hit the flop hard it's an easy fold, plus it would be a multi-way pot which is what suited connectors are good for. Raising all in pre in this spot is a major leak.
As far as UTG's range, he is raising from UTG so easily an ATs+, 77+, KJs+, AJo+ with a few bluffs mixed in(Think JTs)

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Being the opener is UTG you need to be concerned about what he could have. He could be bluffing but most players don't from UTG. You also have to look at the pot odds you will be giving the other players if you shove. they will need to call 4524 to win a pot of 12,138 at the minimum or more if multiple people call. One of the players just needs a hand that should have about 37% equity to call you here. You also have to realize the hijack player already called and has 15% of his stack already in the pot. He may feel he is pot committed and will call you here.

I think shoving here would be a bad idea but you do have great pot odds to call with a nice calling hand.

R

RocwX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Calling is the way to go, there. If the flop doesn't help you, you can easily get rid of the hand. Shoving there you're probably gonna get called by someone and they'll definitely have a better starting hand than yours.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think that shoving is AWFUL. But I think with the price we are getting, our stack and exact hand is more valuable as a call here.

The issue, as has been mentioned here already, is that when we jam we lay a bit too good of a price for the people behind, and UTG is pretty incentivized to call off. He likely has a tightish range to be opening from UTG, and he is getting a reasonable price, and the hands he calls or rejams do quite well against our hand. Yeah we will OCCASIONALLY take down all the dead money but I don't think it'll be that often.

Obviously when we are called we have a decent shot to double to a respectable stack, but I don't think we have the equity to make it profitable in the long run.

I'd call and feel really good about the situation I'm getting involved in.

P

pauloandre100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
do not need to shove this spot, you can expect a better opportunity

roger perkins

roger perkins

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i agree shoving is not a great play do you really want to be called by 2 over cards. Is a 60/40 what you have played all that time for. I see better hands to come. Just call and let the flop tell you what to do.

Jacki Burkhart

Jacki Burkhart

long winded rambler...
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is a great spot to call. we are getting great pot odds and also we don't want to attack strong UTG raising ranges with weak hands like this, because while we might have decent fold quity; our hand is in bad shape vs his UTG calling range.

our other option: calling. we are getting better than 8:1 direct pot odds and we close the action with a hand that plays well postflop.

also, we have a good remaining stack size to check raise jam favorable flops.

given the direct odds we only need abou 11% equity to make this a break even call...and that's not considering implied odds. I'd estimate vs reasonable ranges we have something like 20% equity which is more than enough to call here and only invest a tiny portion of our stack with a nice hand that can double us up.