$0.55 NLHE MTT Turbo: $$0.55 NLHE MTT Turbo: AQ and potbet on flop

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop seems standart but potbet on the flop confused me so hard. Even though I knew that potbet in a multiway is a strong thing but I had a decent hand with some backdoor FD along with gutshot. I thought that he only represents AT and TT because mostly AK gets 3-betted and I block his nut-hands with my Q. On the turn there's no way to get away for me I think. What do you think what is the best option here?

poker stars, $0.49 Buy-in (150/300 blinds, 22 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 9 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: 9,920 (33.1 bb)
BB: 6,228 (20.8 bb)
Hero (UTG+1): 10,758 (35.9 bb)
UTG+2: 47,455 (158.2 bb)
MP1: 12,021 (40.1 bb)
MP2: 10,725 (35.8 bb)
MP3: 70,375 (234.6 bb)
CO: 10,545 (35.2 bb)
BTN: 67,588 (225.3 bb)

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with A
heart4.gif
Q
diamond4.gif

Hero raises to 750, UTG+2 calls 750, 3 folds, CO calls 750, BTN calls 750, 2 folds

Flop: (3,648) T
heart4.gif
K
heart4.gif
A
club4.gif
(4 players)
Hero checks, UTG+2 bets 3,648, 2 folds, Hero calls 3,648

Turn: (10,944) 6
heart4.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, UTG+2 bets 6,338, Hero calls 6,338 and is all-in

River: (23,620) 4
diamond4.gif
(2 players, 1 is all-in)

Results: 23,620 pot
Final Board: T
heart4.gif
K
heart4.gif
A
club4.gif
heart4.gif
diamond4.gif

Hero showed A
heart4.gif
Q
diamond4.gif
and lost (-10,758 net)
UTG+2 showed A
spade4.gif
T
club4.gif
and won 23,620 (12,862 net)

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what does+R mean in pokerstars
It means you can rebuy into the tournament.

I would have bet on the flop to eliminate weaker hands, and if he called or reraised and your hand doesn't improve on the turn then just let it go. No need to get attached to top pair especially with the board texture.

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, I think his flop bet didn't give you the correct odds to pay. Correct me if I'm wrong but you needed at least 12.5 outs to call and you didn't have that. Although your read on him might have changed your "required" odds.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It means you can rebuy into the tournament.

I would have bet on the flop to eliminate weaker hands, and if he called or reraised and your hand doesn't improve on the turn then just let it go. No need to get attached to top pair especially with the board texture.
I wanted to pot-control and didn't bet because of it and if I bet it would put me to even more problems because I wouldn't know where I am at if they call.

Ovuvuevuevue

Ovuvuevuevue

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I wanted to pot-control and didn't bet because of it and if I bet it would put me to even more problems because I wouldn't know where I am at if they call.
If he called you'd know he would have the flush on the turn, or the straight already, or two pairs. If he calls a bet you know he has a strong hand and likely has you beat. If you can't read him that well then just compare the pot odds to your equity
Edit: I just said something really stupid at the end of the post so I deleted it :p

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If he called you'd know he would have the flush on the turn, or the straight already, or two pairs. If he calls a bet you know he has a strong hand and likely has you beat. If you can't read him that well then just compare the pot odds to your equity
Edit: I just said something really stupid at the end of the post so I deleted it :p
I don't agree with the "if he calls you he beats you". This is a micro-stake. Some people might overestime their hand and bet 3 streets with A5s for example. I've seen that so much here. But I must agree about odds. Potbet is too much and the safest option was just fold on the flop. The thing is I saw how twitch pro's just doesn't give up on spots like that, so I thought that I had some equity and maybe the best hand but I was wrong. Potbet is usually means strenght especially on multiways. I need to put that in mind deeply. Thanks for your answer. GL,GL!
P.S: haha, ok even though I didn't noticed it:)

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Confuses not only the potbet but also the possible straight and flush draw. Having hit the flop UTG + 2, unlike you, played the hand well. I have repeatedly heard warnings about the strength of the A10 hand. Now I am convinced that the AQ hand is not the best for opening trading on such an aggressive table. In extreme cases, it is not worth much to invest in this hand. Thank you

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Confuses not only the potbet but also the possible straight and flush draw. Having hit the flop UTG + 2, unlike you, played the hand well. I have repeatedly heard warnings about the strength of the A10 hand. Now I am convinced that the AQ hand is not the best for opening trading on such an aggressive table. In extreme cases, it is not worth much to invest in this hand. Thank you
I don't think he played well from preflop, but ok. We have blockers for his straight and flush draws and even if he had those draws or a completed hands he wouldn't potbetted it. The hands he's representing is AT,TT, KT,AK,AJ and QJ but again he won't potbet it. You mean that opening AQ was bad? Really? Table wasn't aggressive at all. They just like seeing flops. I realized what was my mistake here. I thinked about my hands strength and outs not villain's range and how he's betting into 3 people big bets.

omnom8

omnom8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
first of all flop it is bet. and it is very big mistake.

"i thought that he only represents AT and TT" if so it is easy fold. but for me it is very hard to put person on two hands and to be right.

as played. you can go allin flop with good equity of you hand + mb he do it with draws or even do it with worst hand. so if he had some draws or gutshots with pair lets him pay to see next cards. vs nuts we have good equity and there is not so much of them. call here good if you dont want to get fold from him. mb he will slow down on next cards.

this turn you cant make mistake and it is easy call.

also AQo one of the best hand for opening on agressive table )

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
first of all flop it is bet. and it is very big mistake.

"i thought that he only represents AT and TT" if so it is easy fold. but for me it is very hard to put person on two hands and to be right.

as played. you can go allin flop with good equity of you hand + mb he do it with draws or even do it with worst hand. so if he had some draws or gutshots with pair lets him pay to see next cards. vs nuts we have good equity and there is not so much of them. call here good if you dont want to get fold from him. mb he will slow down on next cards.

this turn you cant make mistake and it is easy call.

also AQo one of the best hand for opening on agressive table )

Yeah I agree we 100% need to be cbetting the flop with this holding. We can get a TON of value from worse, and we don't put ourselves in this weird zone where we aren't sure what's going on.

If you are checking and check/fold here to a pot size bet, I think you literally don't have a calling range when you check on this board, which is pretty damn bad. It means the villain can bet literally any two cards as a SUPER profitable bluff. That's a problem. I'm NOT saying we need to be perfectly balanced - far from it. But we shouldn't be so absurdly out of balance either.

As played, call or even jam the flop. Jamming might be a hair better because we deny a bunch of equity from holdings like two hearts or a pair and a straight draw (which villain will have a LOT). Weaker Ax may well stack off here too so we'll still get a lot of value.

As played on flop with the check call, we have to call turn. Villain can spaz jam just an ace here, and even when we are behind here we always have some outs. With the price we are getting, we only need about 27% equity to make this a +chipEV call. Guess how much equity we have against AT???

It's over 38%. Yep.

If the villain TURNS HIS HAND OVER... you call.

abzdolc

abzdolc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
one side of this situation is cooler, like you can't play this hand in other way on this board, but if you look on this flop and think - what hand you can beat - you'll not find any hand that you can hit , instead of bluff, but there will no be huge numbers of bluffs in this spot, sometimes you have to fold with AQ :)

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for your replies guys. I learned my mistkae and will play better next time on these situations.