$0.55 NLHE MTT Turbo: $$0.55 NLHE MTT Turbo: Can someone explain how a 10Q has a better percentage than AQ?

RiverLord90

RiverLord90

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
$0.55 NLHE MTT Turbo: $$0.55 NLHE MTT Turbo: Can someone explain how a 10Q has a better percentage than AQ?

Ok, so I just busted out of a $0.55 turbo mtt tourney. I was the BB with AhQc, the EP2 shoves 6bb all in with 10cQs, then the BTN 3bet shoves 53bb all in with KdAs. I call with 30bb from the BB.

The board was 6h 2d 3c 9s 3s, the BTN (KdAs) won unsurprisingly.

But looking back in holdem manager and equilab, the preflop statistics showed that the EP2 had a 23% chance advantage to win with 10cQs over my 17% chance with AhQc.

Can someone explain how this makes sense? AQ is better than Q10 last time I checked.

I just thought of this as before I posted, is it because the BTN had an Ace?

T

trent32la

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You have 2 outs to win the hand outright, because if the flop is A24, AK still beats you. However, the player with QT has 3 outs to win the hand outright, as if the flop is T24, their 10 is not dominated.

liuouhgkres

liuouhgkres

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
KH
Chips
The best hand in preflop is AK and in order to win a pot you and EP2 need to improve your hands and only Q improves your hand, because A is shared with AK. So you need to catch a Q, and there are only 2 of them in the deck. At the same time, in order to win EP2 needs to catch T, since Q is shared with you, it doesn't help him. He needs T and there are three tens in the deck. So, EP2 actually is more likely to improve his hand, since Ten is not shared with anyone. The fact that his hand is weaker in beginning is irrelevant, since both of you can't win shit until you improve anyway.