$0.55 NLHE MTT: AKo do I have a value or pot control?

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Should I bet 3 streets for value? What's the right play here and how to not go broke on these situations?

poker stars, $0.49 Buy-in (25/50 blinds, 6 ante) No Limit Hold'em Tournament, 8 Players
Poker Tools Powered By Holdem Manager - The Ultimate Poker Software Suite.

SB: 1,263 (25.3 bb)
BB: 2,486 (49.7 bb)
UTG+2: 2,980 (59.6 bb)
Hero (MP1): 6,542 (130.8 bb)
MP2: 2,913 (58.3 bb)
MP3: 6,116 (122.3 bb)
CO: 3,313 (66.3 bb)
BTN: 2,187 (43.7 bb)

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with A
club4.gif
K
diamond4.gif

UTG+2 folds, Hero raises to 150, MP2 folds, MP3 calls 150, 4 folds

Flop: (423) 9
club4.gif
A
spade4.gif
J
heart4.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets 300, MP3 calls 300

Turn: (1,023) 6
diamond4.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets 455, Hero calls 455

River: (1,933) 2
club4.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 bets 1,566, Hero calls 1,566

Results: 5,065 pot
Final Board: 9
club4.gif
A
spade4.gif
J
heart4.gif
diamond4.gif
club4.gif

Hero showed A
club4.gif
K
diamond4.gif
and won 5,065 (2,588 net)
MP3 showed Q
club4.gif
A
heart4.gif
and lost (-2,477 net)

J

jaredbultema420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Always

Always use Pot Control. If your opponent is willing to dump their stack they will do it on later streets!

Q

quant1986

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
With AK on this runout, I think you need to go for 3 street values
You also need to bet turn to charge KQ,KJ,KT,QT,T9 as it dangerous to give out free cards.

You may choose to fold if TAG raise on the turn/river

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always use Pot Control. If your opponent is willing to dump their stack they will do it on later streets!
That's what I did but wasn't sure if I had value bets. On the river I even considered to fold for a moment but I couldn't.

omnom8

omnom8

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With AK on this runout, I think you need to go for 3 street values
You also need to bet turn to charge KQ,KJ,KT,QT,T9 as it dangerous to give out free cards.

You may choose to fold if TAG raise on the turn/river

+1

L

levidoff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dry flop, normal bet. Dry turn, why check?)) But in principle, pot-control is also not bad.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree in general we should be going for 3 streets here rather than going for a check/call on turn and river.

The exception would be if we have strong info on our opponent being a bit spazzy on later streets or maybe if there are more front door draws that brick out on river and we may want to bet twice and check/call river instead.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Based on the run out I would have bet all 3 streets. When you think of the hands he would have called the flop with there is not much that has you beat. He would have raised jacks pre flop so the only set I would think about was 99 He could have J9 A9 or AJ but would he have waited until the rived to push you? I dont think so. Now think about the worse aces he could have call both bets with and the straight draws and there is a lot he could have called you with you have beat until the river. I would have bet the river here all day long. If he did call you and you were beat so be it but I think your ahead way more than not on this run out.

NHequalsFU

NHequalsFU

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TPTK against one opponent and I'm looking to go to value town.

If there is someone else involved or my hand isn't as strong then I look to control the size of the post.

Also depends on tendancies of the villain(s) I'm involved with.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that you are lucky. Your mistake (in this case, 3BB after the flop is too small), your opponent took for weakness. He put you on a pocket pair of QQ or A10-A8 if you have too bad a reputation at the table and decided to collect. A bad analysis cost him 2,000 chips. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I was shown if after the turn there would be an all-in you would have dropped your AKs.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that you are lucky. Your mistake (in this case, 3BB after the flop is too small), your opponent took for weakness. He put you on a pocket pair of QQ or A10-A8 if you have too bad a reputation at the table and decided to collect. A bad analysis cost him 2,000 chips. Perhaps I am mistaken, but I was shown if after the turn there would be an all-in you would have dropped your AKs.
I betted 300chips into 423pot. I don't think it's a small bet. People from above we're right. AK is good enough to go for a 3-street value. At that moment I was worried about 2 pairs not thinking about by their ranges.

John A

John A

Poker Zion Coach
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Too large of a flop bet. At these stakes, just keep betting on that kind of runout. Only stop of you're raised.

playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I betted 300chips into 423pot. I don't think it's a small bet. People from above we're right. AK is good enough to go for a 3-street value. At that moment I was worried about 2 pairs not thinking about by their ranges.
Two pair is a 49 to 1 dog to flop and it is a semi strong rare hand that still loses to TPTK 24% of time through counterfeit dont worry about it took much unless obviously you get check raise jammed on dry board. You played it just as I would though it depends on your opponent if he would have been stupid enough to get it in he would have raised so I think you got max value.

flattershay

flattershay

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Two pair is a 49 to 1 dog to flop and it is a semi strong rare hand that still loses to TPTK 24% of time through counterfeit dont worry about it took much unless obviously you get check raise jammed on dry board. You played it just as I would though it depends on your opponent if he would have been stupid enough to get it in he would have raised so I think you got max value.
Thanks for approving me. For example, If I get check-jammed on that board I should be folding AK? Because at this limits people overplay some weak Aces or even 2nd pair with bad kickers.

Flight777sem

Flight777sem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you had max value in that hand. In my opinion your play is fine but probably i would bet also on turn considering draws as Q-10.K-Q.10-8 and check on the river for check call.