$0.50 NLHE MTT Turbo: Pocket-Pairs sneaking up on me

M

Miggidymo

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Would someone please explain how I can detect that my opponent holds higher pocket pairs (TT) when he does not raise pre-flop from LowJack Position?

My reasoning in this hand: Pre-Flop no one raises only calls, I'am BigBlind with A5o, so i check, Flop comes highest card is 5, so i naturally, bet to protect my hand. Knowing that i have a straight draw and that if someone else has a 5, I still have the Ace kicker to take them out. Two of my opponents call, next card shows up as 9. I dont believe any of them has the 9, as i think they made some sort of pair on the flop (otherwise why call my 1/2 bet on the flop?) so i throw in a continuation bet this time Pot Size to get them to fold. One of my opponents folds the other shows TT.

My question: Was there anything in this hand that should have tipped me off / indicated that he was holding a strong pocket pair? Or is there anything i should have done differently?

Thank you guys in advance for all your input/comments, the noob that i'am really appreciates the light you guys shed on these situations and the knowledge you spread.

Thnx
Mo.

0.50$ Buy-in Tourney - 15/30 NL - Holdem - 9 players

BTN: 30.5 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, hands: 8)
SB: 102.83 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 2)
Hero (BB): 32.33 BB
UTG: 28 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
UTG+1: 54.67 BB (VPIP: 25.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 4)
MP: 38.33 BB (VPIP: 37.50, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
MP+1: 99.53 BB (VPIP: 50.00, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
MP+2: 4.33 BB (VPIP: 75.00, PFR: 0.00, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)
CO: 22.13 BB (VPIP: 12.50, PFR: 12.50, 3Bet Preflop: 0.00, Hands: 8)

SB posts SB 0.5 BB, Hero posts BB 1 BB

Pre Flop: (pot: 1.5 BB) Hero has 5 A

fold, fold, fold, MP+1 calls 1 BB, MP+2 calls 1 BB, fold, fold, SB calls 0.5 BB, Hero checks

Flop: (4 BB, 4 players) 2 5 4
SB bets 1 BB, Hero raises to 4 BB, MP+1 calls 4 BB, MP+2 calls 3.33 BB and is all-in, SB calls 3 BB

Turn: (19.33 BB, 4 players) 9
SB checks, Hero bets 27.33 BB and is all-in, MP+1 calls 27.33 BB, fold

River: (74 BB, 3 players) 4

Hero shows 5 A (Two Pair, Fives and Fours)

MP+1 shows T T (Two Pair, Tens and Fours)

MP+2 shows 3 K (One Pair, Fours)

MP+1 wins 74 BB

lilu80

lilu80

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PL
Chips
Cmoon in turn your overbet AI?! I think that this`s your spazz in this ;)

rikoberto

rikoberto

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey Miggidymo.Probably your villain in MP+1 is a limper-caller player even the sample is very small(8hands only)..So from my little experience at micro MTTs,that kind of players tend to limp with pocket Tens many times from every position..Now my thoughts about the board..in a 3way not raised pot..i would check/call the flop and if some scary card come on turn (any diamond,or 8-K card) i would tend to check/fold..our hand isnt strong.it can be very strong only if u hit 3 completing the straight but even this isnt the nuts...well this is my opinion :)

DougPkrMonsta

DougPkrMonsta

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You've got one pair, raised the flop and got called in all 4 spots (one of them is all-in).

This is not a good spot to over-bet shove a blank turn, in fact it is such an overplay I'd have been concerned with TT if I was that player.

You should have been more worried when everyone involved called you. If you do have the best hand you aren't very far ahead with the straight and flush draws and you could be in terrible shape.

While the blinds are low, play strong hands (overpairs, 2 pairs, sets, straights, flushes) and bet enough to give worse hands the wrong price to beat you.

Knowing when you need to pot control and when you should keep betting can be tough, but with experience you can get an idea of how to best handle these situations.

Good luck to you! :D

16clumsyandshy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You should have been more worried when everyone involved called you. If you do have the best hand you aren't very far ahead with the straight and flush draws and you could be in terrible shape.

Knowing when you need to pot control and when you should keep betting can be tough, but with experience you can get an idea of how to best handle these situations.

Good luck to you! :D

These are very important lessons to learn. It can be difficult to know your opponents cards, it becomes easier after the action on the flop. It's important to know when to slow down. Even so, when you raise preflop and they call, low pocket pairs will be a big part of their range. I admit it's surprising to see a hand as strong as TT here but that's just something to make a note of on this player. Also, observing their stats can tell you if they are a passive player (low pfr), which would usually mean they are limping lots of their pocket pairs. Just think about how frustrating pocket pairs can be; if you don't hit a set it's hard for you to have the best hand.

S

stokedog4

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see this from players on occasion. However your bet on the flop was fine, just SLOW down after the turn. You are MOST likely behind and hopefully this passive player will give you a FREE CARD!!!

Don't go broke in a limped pot. You had over 30bbs to start the hand... no reason to get busted with a pair of 55s there.

stoke

rabman50

rabman50

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On the flop you bet to "Protect my hand". This is not the reason to bet the flop. You should bet for value, bet as a bluff, or bet to deny your opponents their equity. In this spot you are betting into three players in a limped pot so their ranges are all over the place. You bet for value and get two callers. What range of hands to you put them on? Players will often limp with small to medium pairs say 22-99. You are ahead of 67, 33, and flush draws, but that is about it. Once you are called in two places it is time to slow down. Your bet on the turn would be classified as a bluff in this spot so what are they going to fold?