$0.5 NLHE STT Turbo: Wrong moves with AKs against limp-caller?

croconow

croconow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pokerstars No-Limit Hold'em, 0.5 Tournament, 15/30 Blinds (9 handed) - PokerStars Converter Tool from http://poker-tools.flopturnriver.com/Hand-Converter.php

Hero (BB) (t1,460)
UTG (t1,220)
UTG+1 (t1,460)
MP1 (t1,440)
MP2 (t1,470)
MP3 (t2,630)
CO (t1,130)
Button (t965)
SB (t1,725)

Hero's M: 32.44

Preflop: Hero is BB with A
diamond.gif
, K
diamond.gif

4 folds, MP3 calls t30, 3 folds, Hero raises to t109, MP3 calls t79

Flop: (t233) 8
club.gif
, 9
heart.gif
, 5
club.gif
(2 players)
Hero bets t125, MP3 calls t125

Turn: (t483) 8
diamond.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 checks

River: (t483) 10
spade.gif
(2 players)
Hero checks, MP3 checks

Total pot: t483

Results below:
Hero had A
diamond.gif
, K
diamond.gif
(one pair, eights).
MP3 had 5
spade.gif
, Q
spade.gif
(two pair, eights and fives).
Outcome: MP3 won t483

In this situations how can I make the best move?
Was in early game and by being a STT I didn't had villain informations...

The pre-flop raise must be higher? When I saw it reviewing I thought in a something around 140 chips...

By being playing against a limp-caller player I decided bet in any flop as always, but this bet size was enough?

One more thing, when he made the call I was in doubt if I should have done the 2nd barrel turn and/or bet river...

So, which board textures you guys would do this 2nd bet havind a premium hand and in addition playing against this kind of vilain?
And about river bet? What's the best moment to bet river even without having bet turn?

W

WiZZiM

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First of all, nice post, really well done! easy to read love it!

I think overall you played the hand fine, just one small thing about your thought process above that i noticed.

"cided bet in any flop as always, but this bet size was enough?"

So against a limp caller, this is one of the most dangerous boards for us, it's very connected and he can have a ton of hands on that board that can form backdoor straights, straight draws, pairs etc. So his range is going to be very middle card orientated, we can withdraw a few of the top end cards since we don't know if he will raise with them or not, so basically top end cards are less likely here as he would likely limp/re-raise or raise preflop.

We can do the same to the very low end as well, so the 52o type hands are less likely preflop.

SO that leaves a bunch of middle card hands like JTo, K6s etc that he will show up with here. so once we know that range is more likely, this board hits a TON of his hands, alot of the time here he will be connected or semi connected to the board.

So once we know that, also know that these types of players don't really seem to care what our bet size is, so in these low level SNG we don't have to worry about balance as much or disguising our bet sizes, we just have to bet and if they have something they will call if they don't they will generally fold. So with that said we can very much polarize our ranges vs these players with little worry of being exploited.

What i mean by that is that we can bet a very small amount here since we have missed and it will generate aroudn the same fold equity as a bigger bet will. Same goes for preflop. we have a very strong hand and plenty of chips, so raising larger preflop isn't a bad idea as it will in general get us more value and make it easy for us to get all of our chips in by the river.

But on this flop, we missed, and it's a flop that he connects with a decent amount of the time, so checking to see a free turn is a good idea, and also betting a very small amount is a good idea. once he calls and we miss turn/river we're in give up mode, you never know if a turn barrell will work vs these players, he could have called three barrells with bottom pair for all we know.

Lastly, this is a SNG, even if we double up here it helps a bunch, but it in no way guarantees us to make money, basically the game is never won in the early stages, so conserve your money in spots like this early and you will have more in general for the middle stages and beyond where the real $$ is made.