$0.25 NLHE MTT: Folding JJ overpair to check-raise on flop

Pokergambler11

Pokergambler11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This was only the 2nd hand of the tournament. What do you guys think? was it a tight fold? The guy that check-raised all in waited about 15-20s before shoving, so I started to feel a bit of hesitation from him and I was willing to call him. When the 2nd guy snap called it scared me a bit, he could possibly have trips, I didn't put AA or KK in his range because there was no re-raise preflop. Possibly QQ or 1010 or even a strong draw but it was too early to put him on a draw I think. Anyway, I was confident I had it on the flop but with a check-raise all in with a call I thought looked very strong. What made it hard to fold was how many chips it left with me, I think I was at 30bb after this, should I probably have shoved on the flop for some fold equity?

Table '1588987273 10' 9-max Seat #2 is the button
Seat 1: thiagomacaé (1417 in chips)
Seat 2: JDAmotoX (1487 in chips)
Seat 3: MC Fabao (1477 in chips)
Seat 4: kenazx18 (1497 in chips)
Seat 5: miskin87 (1497 in chips)
Seat 6: duey21516 (1497 in chips)
Seat 7: Hawk Beer (1497 in chips)
Seat 8: Robbieppp (1634 in chips)
Seat 9: julinhobr485 (1497 in chips)
thiagomacaé: posts the ante 3
JDAmotoX: posts the ante 3
MC Fabao: posts the ante 3
kenazx18: posts the ante 3
miskin87: posts the ante 3
duey21516: posts the ante 3
Hawk Beer: posts the ante 3
Robbieppp: posts the ante 3
julinhobr485: posts the ante 3
MC Fabao: posts small blind 10
kenazx18: posts big blind 20
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to JDAmotoX [Jd Jh]
miskin87: folds
duey21516: folds
Hawk Beer: calls 20
Robbieppp: raises 80 to 100
julinhobr485: folds
thiagomacaé: folds
JDAmotoX: raises 150 to 250
MC Fabao: folds
kenazx18: folds
Hawk Beer: calls 230
Robbieppp: calls 150
*** FLOP *** [8s Th 4h]
Hawk Beer: checks
Robbieppp: checks
JDAmotoX: bets 589
Hawk Beer: raises 655 to 1244 and is all-in
Robbieppp: raises 137 to 1381 and is all-in
JDAmotoX: folds

jgreenman18

jgreenman18

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is just a classic scenario that seems to happen in these low buy in multi table tournament really against a better field i would say fold but this becomes a tricky situation in that you do not know if your good or not as many of these low stakes players early in the tournament are just looking for a double up they would prob do this if they hit top pair had a straight draw or even middle pair the begging of these is always wild. I would say based on preflop action against these maniacs i call but it is risky and there will be better spots where there wont be as much of a chance to take a bad beat as it will be very easy to lose your whole stack here either getting it in bad or just against two opponents but do not fear doubling up early as it makes everything easier down the road.

One of them deff has a 10x hand though i have seen so many villans in cheap mtt shove these hands early just looking for a double up

Last edited by a moderator:
V

valiaarmy26

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
i say it was a bad fold, because you probably had the best hand after the flop. i think the first all in was a bluff and the second had a midle pair or As .

Pokergambler11

Pokergambler11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
RESULTS
The guy that went all-in had 9-9 and the caller had AJ. He hit the ace on the river

bushy_lufc

bushy_lufc

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I see no need to 3bet pre flop here... if you get jammed on you cannot be loving life, you have also bloated a pot with a hand that is going to hate the flop more than half of the time. Why not call the raise, disguise your hand and then be aggressive with it on a board like the one you had? You will save chips in the long run in the times where the flop comes AXX, KXX QKX etc...

fadisn

fadisn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It could be Ax many goes all-in waiting for A river, specially cheap buy-ins !

Folding in Poker