$0.25 NLHE MTT: 3 bet OOP--it went messy

L

lonenlynobita

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We're in the middle of 45 man poker stars sit N go and the game has been reduced to 30 ish people. Our villain opens to 2.2 BB from the cutoff. Our villain has been very loose. We're talking about 38% VPIP and 45% PFR. I picked up Ad2c from the Big Blind. Given how loose our opponent is, I decided to 3 Bet to 5 BB. Our villain calls.

Flop : Jh8hKc
Pot : 12 BB
Effective stack : Me with 24 BB. Our villain had 50% more than us.

At this point, I had no idea how wide our villain's range is. I assume that the villain's range is still wide. However, I genuinely not seeing that our villain is going to fold any made hand. I don't think somebody with 38% VPIP will fold a 8x. I decided to check. The villain checks back.

Turn : Jh8hKcTs

At this point, I am somewhat feel like I can eliminate Kx from his range. I decided to bet 4.2 Big Blinds because I think he's going to fold many air and (finally fold) 8x (with three overcards) and try to charge heart draws. He called.

River : Jh8hKcTs3h
Pot : 20.8 BB
Effective stack : Me with 19.2 BB.

At this point, I am stumped. He has to has something like Jx, Tx, or some random two pairs and set--but I can bluff a flush and a Tx and Jx perhaps won't survive another barrel?

I think I screwed up this hand pretty badly here. So many questions:

1. With an stack of 28 BB, is my 3 bet to 5 BB is too small?
2. Is checking make senses on the flop?
3. Is a 1/3 pot bet on the turn is too small? I feel like the answer is an absolute yes, but I can't see what a bigger bet will do here?
4. What should I do here on the river?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

🙉 🙈 🙊 student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I just don't think A2o plays here at all post flop. You're pretty much bluffing with air against a player who is known to be very loose and has you covered.

Checking on the flop is correct. You're behind and really no draws here for you. Your hand doesn't have much for blocking any of the possible draws that are up against you.Turn and/or river check fold.

If you want to risk your entire stack you could try to rep an AQ on the flop by betting half pot or so and jamming on the turn. I don't see it going well.

B

Brawo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In my opinion 3-bet = 5BB is acceptable
I smell of fear a little, because if you decided to bluff with A2o, and flop hit in your range if I were you I would make c-bet around 10BB, he must fold in 45% cases, if he call you know too much more than now. You are out of position and I'm pretty sure that he won't call your c-bet with 8x or even Jx, rather flush draw, two pairs, straight draw, top pair, set never fold here. 1/3 on the turn is too small, it looks like mini-raise, again I and probably your opponent felt too that you are not self-confident in this spot. What can you check? I have no answer, you set up a trap? It doesn't make sense for me. On the river what should you do? It's hard to say because like you see, I disagree with earlier decisions here.

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm not really onboard with 3betting preflop to be honest. This hand is really far outside what I would consider to be a good 3bet bluff candidate, and you are doing so against a player who is very loose AND largely passive.

I am not saying this 3bet bluff NEVER gets through, but I don't think we should it expect it to work super often. And that's a problem when we hold a hand this weak.

Postflop is sort of bizarre. I get that you expected him to fold a decent amount pre but to give up on this board on the flop vs this player type seems silly to me. Betting flop seems mandatory if you're going to bluff with this hand preflop in the first place. Once we check though - why start betting turn exactly?

This guy is passive. Him checking back flop doesn't eliminate Kx from his range entirely imo, and he can EASILY check back AQ high (turned straight) or JT (turned 2 pair) and there are a bunch of combos of these.

SuzdalDEcor

SuzdalDEcor

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Better idea preflop is just a call. In this spot on the postflop you must give up. This board is good for the range of your opponent.