Is verbal binding in turn???

S

Spicer00

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tbere was 2 guys left in the pot in a PLO game and the first to act bet $300 and the 2nd guy calls!! The first guy shows 2 pair aces and kings the 2nd player says beats me what is the ruling... Then the 2nd player says nope i have a straight who wins???

Last edited by a moderator:
LevySystem

LevySystem

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Depends if the cards were in the muck or not.

Insane slow roll though

S

Sidetracked

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's very difficult to know what happened from your description.

C

c0rnBr34d

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Verbal action should be binding but saying "beats me" is not an action. If he had said, "I fold" then that should be binding and player 1 should win. But he did not. So while it is rude, Player 2 with the straight still has a live hand and if he tables his hand without throwing it in the muck and he has a straight he indeed wins.

Things like "Raise", "Call", "Fold", "All in", are actions and should be binding unless they are out of turn (although enforcing them can be fun in some games). Saying things like "You're good", "Beats me", "I'll put you all in", are NOT actions and should be clarified before moving on.

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
According to a dealer friend of mine, verbal plays of action are always binding. Calling out you hand and it being wrong does not matter. The cards play unless they are thrown in the muck without showing them.

vinnie

vinnie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If a hand is tabled, the cards speak. If you misdeclare your hand, but show your cards, your cards will overrule anything you said.

Verbal "actions" in turn are binding. Actions are things like: check, bet, fold, call, and raise. Think about things which have a button you can click on when playing online. There's no button to tell the other player what your hand is.

There's some debate about whether or not folding is a valid action if you're not facing a bet. For example, if someone checks, then you may or may not be able to fold. Without action, you may be forced to at least check. If someone bets and you call at the river, you're past the point of being able to fold. You have already acted, by calling. You can choose to muck your hand, and throw it away without showing, but you can't fold.

From Robert's Rules of Poker (which are normally the standard for most rooms, unless house rules state otherwise)
THE SHOWDOWN

2. Cards speak (cards read for themselves). The dealer assists in reading hands, but players are responsible for holding onto their cards until the winner is declared. Although verbal declarations as to the contents of a hand are not binding, deliberately miscalling a hand with the intent of causing another player to discard a winning hand is unethical and may result in forfeiture of the pot. (For more information on miscalling a hand see “Section 11 - Lowball,” Rule 15 and Rule 16.)

Last edited: