£400 NLHE Heads-up: Not fast playing on coordinated board vs well known op.

H

HiSociety

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi,
This is my first post so apologies for any bad formatting. Also was only £40NL not 400.

This hand was played live with an opponent of whom I have a decent amount of experience. The guy is a fairly new player but definitely thinks about his game, can make big folds but is too curious and might over value big overpairs in spots.

[thoughts]

Hero: 120BB
Villan: 80BB

Pre-flop
*I raise button w 78ss (2BB)
*Opponent rer-raises (to 4.5BB)
[In all the games we've played, rarely seen him 3bet bluff, only 3betting very very good hands. Also I feel I have a Po-F advantage. Suspected range: 77+, AJs+ AK, KQs. My future outs and his hand don't really 'clash')
* I call [getting 2.6-1 + implied odds if I hit flop hard and he has a big pocket]

POT= 9BB

Flop
875hhc :D
* Hit flop hard but obviously straight and flush draws
* He bets 6.75BB
* Decent sized bet [I'm not going to fold. Ordinarily I might have raised to make him pay to draw. However, due to the his range, I think it's unlikely this flop hit him unless he has broadway hearts. I want to keep his over-cards or big pocket in the pot so I smooth call]

POT = 22.75BB

Turn
8h7h5c6s
* He checks [Whilst this maybe him slowing down due to 4 to a straight, I expect him to imagine that I wouldn't call his pre flop 3bet with a hand that this card really hits]
* I decide to bet big (21BB) [The only hand in his range that I really fear is 99. A large near pot sized bet doesn't give the odds to continue if he is drawing to a flush. I want to win the hand now.]
POT= 43.75BB
* He thinks then raises all in (68BB) :confused:
* [Thinking back to his range I can't see what he might have that is ahead, entirely possible, I convince myself to call thinking it would be too nitty to fold.]

^thinking back he may have had the set (8s or 7s) but that only made up a small part of his range and I think I'm ahead more than the required 10/6 odds.

This needed up being really long haha.

Any thoughts welcome :D

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Raise flop. I raise to 18bb +/-. We can clearly define his hand further depending on his action. He probably has PP, may or may not be above the board, but he could also have a fair amount of FDS, and occasionally some A-6s. I don't like flat calling because there are a fair amount of bad turns for your hand. We need to fast play this flop. This is reason we called pre, to hit a flop like this.... I would be pleased to just get it in on this flop, because he probably does call off with pairs that are inferior because board is draw heavy and he will convince himself you are on a FD or something.

However, as played, I think Turn is a check back. If large sums of money go into this pot on the turn, we are in a gross spot. Checking back turn allows him to value own himself and bet rivers with inferior hands, because your turn check back confused him. It also allows us to call off much cheaper (or fold if need be, in the case board is just too gross). Pot control. But this wouldn't be necessary probably if we raise flop, SPR is lower on turn, much easier decisions.

I honestly don't know how you're beat, but I feel you are beat. 9-9 is my guess.

R

RakeMyLife

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Raise flop. I raise to 18bb +/-. We can clearly define his hand further depending on his action. He probably has PP, may or may not be above the board, but he could also have a fair amount of FDS, and occasionally some A-6s. I don't like flat calling because there are a fair amount of bad turns for your hand. We need to fast play this flop. This is reason we called pre, to hit a flop like this.... I would be pleased to just get it in on this flop, because he probably does call off with pairs that are inferior because board is draw heavy and he will convince himself you are on a FD or something.

However, as played, I think Turn is a check back. If large sums of money go into this pot on the turn, we are in a gross spot. Checking back turn allows him to value own himself and bet rivers with inferior hands, because your turn check back confused him. It also allows us to call off much cheaper (or fold if need be, in the case board is just too gross). Pot control. But this wouldn't be necessary probably if we raise flop, SPR is lower on turn, much easier decisions.

I honestly don't know how you're beat, but I feel you are beat. 9-9 is my guess.

Agree 100%. This flop needs to be played fast. The fact that there are draws and your hand is disguised is more reason to play fast, not slow (as you did).

On the turn...a check-raise after a flop lead out is a very strong, tricky line. If he had just a big pair, why wouldn't he just check-call (pot control) with a board like that? Probably bc he has a big hand (99) and wants to win two bets instead of one. I take this line with strong hands often bc a turn check after a flop lead looks so weak and often induces a bet from aggressive players.

If he didn't have 99, then u probably have great info on the hands he's 3 betting with since it's likely worse than you thought. Unless he does show u an overpair, which means he isn't very good and u should stay at that table lol.

Last edited:
H

HiSociety

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies.

He flipped over AQss and was bluff shoving the turn. But I agree, fast playing is probably better in most circumstances.:)

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the replies.

He flipped over AQss and was bluff shoving the turn. But I agree, fast playing is probably better in most circumstances.:)

Wow. What was he thinking? Lol.

Beanfacekilla

Beanfacekilla

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He could be a monkey,

He also could be thinking he could get folds from those uncertain... And in any case he'd be right, you guys would've folded.

Both could be the case. However, on the part of V, this is pretty optimistic...